Hi Visabily clothing & the Police

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[Edited] Note that George and I both posted @ 10:26 so some content overlaps.

New England Riders that can't be missed:

Fred W & wife:

IMG_1595.jpg

Zip:

IMG_7853asm.jpg

Cota95:

IMG_7372aSM.jpg

No trick of the camera lens, that coat is as broad as a barn door and brighter than an aircraft landing light.

Last edited by a moderator:
The motorcycle cops here in AZ do not appear to wear much protective gear. During the summer it is short sleeve shirts,and the pants look like regular uniform pants. I hope the pants have some armor,or at least kevlar. Are the bike cops in other states as unprotected??
Lots of unprotected officers here in Ca. They must be real good and never go down.

Wayne from Cycleport told me that none of the motor officers who were wearing the dozen or so suits he's gotten back for repair (after a down) have missed any work, including one who went down after hitting spilled diesel on the freeway at 75 mph. On a prior trip into Nevada, I noticed an NHP motor officer wearing a full-face helmet, but didn't get a chance to size up his (or her) other apparel.

I had Wayne add the 2" reflective strip on the back of the jacket and down the arms. I did not go for the strip on the pant because I didn't want to attract attention to myself while off the bike and walking around in the cycleport gear. Recently I added 3M diamond-grade high-reflective tape to various parts of the bike. You can't tell it's there unless I point it out or it reflects light. When I get around to it I'll take a pic and post.

My humble opinion is to add reflective tape, extra lights, etc to increase your visibility during times when it's really needed like in the rain, fog, night, etc. Times like these are my biggest concern. Another concern are drunk drivers - and in order to protect against them I wear cycleport gear.

I was a Police Dispatcher here in California and all the motor unit officers I know prefer not to wear cumbersome clothing because unlike us...they need to move very quickly when they have to and they also don't want anything thing in the way of their firearms...moving swiftly and drawing their weapon can mean the difference of them going home after their shift.
I can't help but wonder what those Europeans are thinkin' when they suit up with all that protective gear...

I was a Police Dispatcher here in California and all the motor unit officers I know prefer not to wear cumbersome clothing because unlike us...they need to move very quickly when they have to and they also don't want anything thing in the way of their firearms...moving swiftly and drawing their weapon can mean the difference of them going home after their shift.
Can't they just have 'Q' work them up a Robocop like firearm that is attached to their 'stich forearm protective gear.

I seen it in the movies, I know it can be done.

Sorry... thanks for your post. It helps shed some light on a police officer's needs. Seems like it could be worked out though.

I can't help but wonder what those Europeans are thinkin' when they suit up with all that protective gear...
The gun goes on the outside, just like the radio. :rolleyes:

Other than the crappy boots I have that I hate,none of my gear would prevent me from moving swiftly. No more than the extra 20 lbs I'm carrying around. :lol: A tactical thigh holster would eliminate any issues with the sidearm.

Mike

I wear a Vision black/yellow stripe mesh vest over my Fieldsheer or Cortech jacket at night, in the rain/fog or anytime the traffic or weather conditions are questionable.

OBD

I've got some photos of Dutch & French cops on their FJRs from February that I'll have to find. Both ride LOTS of shitty weather but are well equipped with 1st-rate gear for the job. Both discussed lots of training in shooting from the bike and clearly neither had trouble with access to their weapon.

I've spent most of this season with an Olympia orange jacket that I found on a sale and bought for commuting. I used to believe in my blue 'Stitch and look at these day-glo clothes skeptically, but I'm a convert and took the day-glo on my recent Pyrenees ride. In commuting there is no question that I have less people following close or changing lanes into me. I still ride like I'm invisible, but the difference between the 'Stitch and day-glo is HUGE. I once may have wondered about target fixation, but it's worked the other way. Rather than being largely invisible till the last instant, in the mountains I've seen the eyes of oncoming drivers catch the orange and get back in their own lane faster. Here's the kid in my Olympia and me in an old FirstGear Kilimanjaro. Which of us do you notice faster?

IMG_6880.jpg

i bought one of those hi-viz icon (?) vests. I can either wear it or leave it at home. I typically wear it. The other advantages are: extra pockets and I can wear it over my textile or mesh jacket. It does block airflow, reducing the cooling effect of the mesh jacket.

I never rely on others seeing me anyway, so for me, it has worked out just fine.
I have gone one piece hi-viz this year. And suspected I was more visible. Then about 2 weeks after I first started wearing it, I got cut off by a cager. And recently came very close to meeting my demise against a barrier courtesy of an SUV. All while looking like this:

D30_6411.jpg

It's OK to think you're more visible, but you can't *know* you're more visible. Every little bit helps, but you must remember...

They.

Don't.

See.

You.

I run a yellow Stich and yellow Shoei and if anything I have people seeing me better. I can actually see their eyes and head bob to me more often.
Added bonus...it seems more often when I come up behind somebody squatting in the left lane...they'll pull over to the right. And I think it's because they think I'm a cop or something.

And I get more nods from cops than I used to. The time or two I've been pulled over....I think they think I'm a safety oriented....speeder. ;)

To me it's all pluses and no minuses....unless you count masquerading as old faht in the minus column.
But Ig, do the chicks dig it? :D

I wonder how many officers have to draw their weapons during the course of their career versus how many are involved in some sort of traffic accident?

I wonder how many officers have to draw their weapons during the course of their career versus how many are involved in some sort of traffic accident?
What about how many have to run after a perp and don't want to haul ATGATT with them over fences and through culverts and such.

There is always a trade off.

"His response was "we don't fall off". Hmmmmm...."

Yep, this has always been my plan too!! Unfortunately, it can be a bit hard to predict, but most of the riders in my area seem to believe they will never have a get off or leave any skin on pavement and thus wear very litte gear except a helmet.

doctorj

I never rely on others seeing me anyway, so for me, it has worked out just fine.
I have gone one piece hi-viz this year. And suspected I was more visible. Then about 2 weeks after I first started wearing it, I got cut off by a cager. And recently came very close to meeting my demise against a barrier courtesy of an SUV. All while looking like this:

D30_6411.jpg

It's OK to think you're more visible, but you can't *know* you're more visible. Every little bit helps, but you must remember...

They.

Don't.

See.

You.
It is not you they are after, they are just trying to kill that ugly bike you're on, :rolleyes: . Just kidding with you.

doctorj

I don't think that's actually him, doctorJ.

I think he just used a picture of some other guy wearing a dayglo 'stich as an example.

But I could be wrong...

I've got some photos of Dutch & French cops on their FJRs from February that I'll have to find. Both ride LOTS of shitty weather but are well equipped with 1st-rate gear for the job. Both discussed lots of training in shooting from the bike and clearly neither had trouble with access to their weapon.
I've spent most of this season with an Olympia orange jacket that I found on a sale and bought for commuting. I used to believe in my blue 'Stitch and look at these day-glo clothes skeptically, but I'm a convert and took the day-glo on my recent Pyrenees ride. In commuting there is no question that I have less people following close or changing lanes into me. I still ride like I'm invisible, but the difference between the 'Stitch and day-glo is HUGE. I once may have wondered about target fixation, but it's worked the other way. Rather than being largely invisible till the last instant, in the mountains I've seen the eyes of oncoming drivers catch the orange and get back in their own lane faster. Here's the kid in my Olympia and me in an old FirstGear Kilimanjaro. Which of us do you notice faster?

IMG_6880.jpg

Which did I notice first? The KLR!! :)

Rick