HID Lighting experiences?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had the slim ballast HIDs for over a year, and I have been thrilled with their performance. Here is my install: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=290392
Thanks BrunDog, all great information. The SharpHID link that Antirustbug sent in now has a kit called th "Apexcone/DDM Ultra Slim 35w and 55w hi/lo bi-xenon HID". Its a cool $200 with a lifetime warranty. I'm pretty sure I will be going that route. I will call this week and place the order.

Thanks everyone for your guidance.
For $200, it appears that you get their 55W BiXenons. There are two models at that site, 35W or 55W, and the 35W ones are $175 (shipped) which seems like a good price. Either way, it looks like a decent kit.

You only have one capsule (per side) that is always lit, so there is no opportunity to have higher power in high beam. Most HID Xenon systems are 35W (mine are) and there is tons of light output. The advantage for 1st gens is the lower power input required considering our anemic alternators. Realize that the 35W capsules run at 35W (each) but there are some losses in the Ballasts that will results in a somewhat higher total power draw. Also during start-up there will be a spike in current demand from the battery, but that should not pose any problems.

I wonder how much additional light one gets for the extra 40 watts. I think the 35 watters are plenty bright, but one can never have too much light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some updates, gentlemen -

The HID kits we have been using from China (which is like, all of them) have proven to be not quite as energy efficient as those "true" HID systems from Hella, PIAA, etc. A typical McCullough HID kit (like the ones we scored from Andy Chiu back in late 2005, which basically launched the HID craze here in this community) originally stated it consumes 35-watts for the bulb, and ~ 7 watts to keep the ballast humming. So, mathematically, a set should cost only 84-watts, which would (allegedly) save one 26-watts over the equivalent low-beam halogen.

This has not really proved to be accurate.... I do not have the precise numbers, but I can tell you that we are not saving the power we would like to believe we are.... my anecdotal testing between Iggy's Hella FF200 HID lamps, my original PHIDs, and a new set of PIAA 600 HID lamps I just recently installed, suggests the McCullough's are sucking down more power than a combined 84 watts.

Just a FYI....

I put 2 Bi-Xenon 35 watt lights for $99 each on my bike and they work great. LINK Easy install and you would not believe the difference! :good:

...suggests the McCullough's are sucking down more power than a combined 84 watts.
If you would like me to test the ballast's draw, I can do that for you... ;)

FYI, the Hella D2S gen 3 ballast (looks like what your micro's use from the connector) draw ~42 watts @ 13.5v (3.1 amps) when running steady state. Considerably more on start up, as much as 20 amps but usually closer to 10. This is each ballast. This matches well with your 84w claimed consumption. I have seen other 35w chinese ballasts draw as much as 48 watts @ 13.5v in steady state.

I have seen other 35w chinese ballasts draw as much as 48 watts @ 13.5v in steady state.
And that matches up well with my anecdotal testing between Iggy's bike and mine..... :angry2:

If you would like me to test the ballast's draw, I can do that for you... ;)
:D

PM sent....

Apexcone Ultra Slim 55w H4/H13/9004/9007 - $200
Like what was said the mini ballasts make it a snap

I have had them on my 06ae for two months now

https://www.sharphid.com/

Where did you stuff the ballasts? I had the ebay Chinese version for about a year and am replacing them with the Sharp set up. I have found that the Sharp ballasts are slightly bigger then my old ones and I cant get them into the same spot as the Chinese ones (I had them stuffed into the corners of the fairing).

Where did you stuff the ballasts? I had the ebay Chinese version for about a year and am replacing them with the Sharp set up. I have found that the Sharp ballasts are slightly bigger then my old ones and I cant get them into the same spot as the Chinese ones (I had them stuffed into the corners of the fairing).
I had to use the small space under the headlights. I cleaned that and one side of the mini ballast with rubbing alcohol then use the sticky tape that came with it. No problems so far.

I had to use the small space under the headlights. I cleaned that and one side of the mini ballast with rubbing alcohol then use the sticky tape that came with it. No problems so far.
Well some bitch. Why havent I seen that spot before? I spent most of yesterday trying to jam those stupid things up in the fairing somewhere when all along there was the perfect spot for them. Go figure.

Thanks for the tip. Think my blood pressure just went down 10 points.

Just an FYI fellas - I was very interested in the sharphid.com kit, but after doing a lot of research and some googling...I found you can order direct from the place sharphid gets them from....Same kit, apexcone slim HID kits w/ lifetime warranty for considerably less - ~ $140 before shipping. https://ddmtuning.com/ddmhidkits.html Go down to the dual HID kits, and select the H4, should be $60 + $75 for the H4 upgrade, plus your shipping. Just for kicks, I ordered the wiring harness from sharphid to go with a different HID kit I bought from ddmtuning. Guess what name and where it was shipped from? You got it, ddmtuning...

Also, ddmtuning is pretty big on the bimmer forums, I emailed them several times and was given prompt response, as well as called their customer service line during install on my other kit and they were very helpful.

No affiliation with either, just trying to save someone else out there a few bucks.

Just an FYI fellas - I was very interested in the sharphid.com kit, but after doing a lot of research and some googling...I found you can order direct from the place sharphid gets them from....Same kit, apexcone slim HID kits w/ lifetime warranty for considerably less - ~ $140 before shipping. https://ddmtuning.com/ddmhidkits.html Go down to the dual HID kits, and select the H4, should be $60 + $75 for the H4 upgrade, plus your shipping. Just for kicks, I ordered the wiring harness from sharphid to go with a different HID kit I bought from ddmtuning. Guess what name and where it was shipped from? You got it, ddmtuning...Also, ddmtuning is pretty big on the bimmer forums, I emailed them several times and was given prompt response, as well as called their customer service line during install on my other kit and they were very helpful.

No affiliation with either, just trying to save someone else out there a few bucks.

+1

I performed the same search a few days ago and came to the same exact conclusion.

I called ddmtunning for more information regarding their kit and I found the staff very helpful / knowledgeable.

The forks are off my bike at the moment due to the GP group buy and I found this to be opportune time to install a HID kit.

My order is due to arrive any day now and I can't wait to see the improvement. :D

Ok.....put me into the dumass camp too when it comes to this HID stuff.

Even though I've wasted over 2 hours of company time reading through all the threads, I'm still a bit in a fog ball.

The DDM Tunning HID's are not the same as the telescopics, right?? If that's true, how does their bulb achieve the Lo/Hi?

TIA

Tom

I put 2 Bi-Xenon 35 watt lights for $99 each on my bike and they work great. LINK Easy install and you would not believe the difference! :good:
Great, they are local to me... did you put in the 35W 0r 50W? Hi-low or that combination some are refering to?
I used the 35W ad they both have a hi/low that work perfectly. The difference is nothing short of amazing.

I just ordered (1) of the 35W H4 Hi/Lo telescopic kits. I plan to run my original right-side low beam and a Hi/Lo on the left. This should give me a decent field of light without the Solteks being on. The original HID headlight setup was seriously lacking in the high-beam area, and some have complained about dual telescopic bulbs losing close illumination on high beam. We'll see.

If anybody wants to do the same in a full conversion, DDM Tuning has a kit w/lifetime warranty on sale for $125.00 plus shipping (reg. $140.00).

I just ordered (1) of the 35W H4 Hi/Lo telescopic kits. I plan to run my original right-side low beam and a Hi/Lo on the left. This should give me a decent field of light without the Solteks being on. The original HID headlight setup was seriously lacking in the high-beam area, and some have complained about dual telescopic bulbs losing close illumination on high beam. We'll see.
If anybody wants to do the same in a full conversion, DDM Tuning has a kit w/lifetime warranty on sale for $125.00 plus shipping (reg. $140.00).
I think you are going to like that set-up Toe. I'm sure you've seen the beam pattern pictures that I posted last winter. Having one telescopic Hi/Lo and one fixed low beam really does give the best night time visibility possible without additional aux lights.

I may be a little late to the party here, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but on the DDM site you could get the Dual HID Kit for $70 and for $25 upgrade that kit to a H4 Hi/Lo. From there is suppose you could leave one solenoid disconnected to achieve the one fixed/one hi/lo pattern that has been recommended for $30 less than the kit that comes with the two different bulb types. Also, is anyone using the 55w version of this kit? If the draw on the charging system is not an issue is the increase in light output significant? Is it too hot for the headlight housing? I was considering the 55 watters in a single high/single hi/lo pattern and installing a relay to allow me to run a single bulb during the day to reduce the power consumption.

I may be a little late to the party here, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but on the DDM site you could get the Dual HID Kit for $70 and for $25 upgrade that kit to a H4 Hi/Lo. From there is suppose you could leave one solenoid disconnected to achieve the one fixed/one hi/lo pattern that has been recommended for $30 less than the kit that comes with the two different bulb types.
Note: much better fill in the foreground and still good intensity up at the horizon. I believe that this could be improved even further with the use of an actual dedicated "Low Beam Only" capsule.
Since I already own a low-beam-modified capsule, my fix was only $70.00, but if I was going to convert from stock, I'd probably spend the extra $30.00 and go with two different bulb types. One disabled tele capsule may work just as well, so your suggestion is a practical option.

I wouldn't go to 55W bulbs myself. They have to burn hotter, and after three years, my HID bulbs have already damaged the reflective coating in the area above the bulbs....

+1

The 35W units are plenty bright enough anyway.

As to whether to go with the dual telescopics or the one side fixed low, a lot depends on your goals to the upgrade. I ride a lot more often in the daylight, and my goal was to increase the visibility to car drivers, so I have hooked my dual telescopics back up to allow me to run on 2 high beams.

One thing that I may institute would be a disable switch for the solenoid on the right side bulb. I could leave it enabled for day time use, then when night time rolls around just disable it when the headlights are in low beam and that would give me the best night time beam pattern.

I may be a little late to the party here, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but on the DDM site you could get the Dual HID Kit for $70 and for $25 upgrade that kit to a H4 Hi/Lo. From there is suppose you could leave one solenoid disconnected to achieve the one fixed/one hi/lo pattern that has been recommended for $30 less than the kit that comes with the two different bulb types. Also, is anyone using the 55w version of this kit? If the draw on the charging system is not an issue is the increase in light output significant? Is it too hot for the headlight housing? I was considering the 55 watters in a single high/single hi/lo pattern and installing a relay to allow me to run a single bulb during the day to reduce the power consumption.
I have the 55w hi/lo DDM kit in mine with no problems. I haven't had the 35w kit, so cant tell you the difference. The kit I have works great once I installed a delayed relay. What I found was that on start up there doesn't seen to be enough power to crank the started and then immediately fire the lights. I was seeing that only one light would fire about half the time. Once I put the relay in, everything works perfectly now. I start the bike, and about 10 seconds later the lights come on. Worth every damn penny!

Clicky for relay