HID projector lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steved1

Reaction score
I am looking at upgrading the head lights with these HID projection lights has any body installed them and how hard are they to do any pics would be appreciated.

I am looking at upgrading the head lights with these HID projection lights has any body installed them and how hard are they to do any pics would be appreciated.
Which ones? Do you have a link as to what your talking about?

I rode to work in the dark this morning and I can't get over how good the OEM lights are on this bike! I see guys wanting to upgrade their headlights or add 2 or 4 additional lights and I guess I don't see it as necessary. This bikes OEM lights and especially the High Beams light up the road and both sides of the road insanely well to me. They're 10 times better than any other bike I've ridden.

Which ones? Do you have a link as to what your talking about?

I rode to work in the dark this morning and I can't get over how good the OEM lights are on this bike! I see guys wanting to upgrade their headlights or add 2 or 4 additional lights and I guess I don't see it as necessary. This bikes OEM lights and especially the High Beams light up the road and both sides of the road insanely well to me. They're 10 times better than any other bike I've ridden.

Here is a link https://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-Projector-HID-Light-MT5D-Honda-CBR600RR-CBR1000RR-CBR600F4i-Gold-Wing-ST1300-/230793248454?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2006%7CMake%3AYamaha%7CModel%3AFJR&hash=item35bc597ec6&vxp=mtr

Looks like a fairly expensive and time consuming way to replace stock headlights that do a fairly decent job at putting lumens down the road with a Chinese knock-off design that I bet aren't much better.....while chopping up your stock reflector unit in the process so it can never go back to stock.

.....but it looks cool. :clapping:

I know of one other person that altered the stock reflectors, but they work for a professional lighting outfit and didn't document anything on the forum that I remember. I'd say you'd be the first and encourage you to document the work.

I pondered for a while to install those, but after reading through the forum let me decide otherwise. If and only IF I go for a light farkle, than I'll do the shown bulb conversion, using the given reflectors. Sure them Audi like running light led look sweet, but knwing that our FJR ain't a muscle house when it comes on power output lets me thinks ones more about an additional an unnecessary amp consumer....

My $.02

My FJR rule #1, if the forum hasn't talked about it at length, don't go for it, being a guinea pig can be fun, but very frustrating and expensive......

I recently purchased and installed this HID kit I found on Amazon. Took me about 2 hours. I have some mechanical aptitude but fat hands. The hardest part was finding a spot for the 2 ballasts. I mounted the ballasts under the front headlights. What a differance for me at night.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DQY83S/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
Thanks for the input, looking at it, one thing isn't directly clear for me. The title says XtremeLite Premium High Beam Headlights 9003/HB2 6,000K Xenon HID Kits - 2008 Yamaha FJR1300. Is this set low and high beam consisting?

THX

I recently purchased and installed this HID kit I found on Amazon. Took me about 2 hours. I have some mechanical aptitude but fat hands. The hardest part was finding a spot for the 2 ballasts. I mounted the ballasts under the front headlights. What a differance for me at night.

Thanks for the input, looking at it, one thing isn't directly clear for me. The title says XtremeLite Premium High Beam Headlights 9003/HB2 6,000K Xenon HID Kits - 2008 Yamaha FJR1300. Is this set low and high beam consisting?

THX
It is only the low beam. The stock look of the the high beam is projected from the new lights as well. I will take some photos as post.

THX
It is only the low beam. The stock look of the high beam is projected from the new lights as well. I will take some photos and post.
Here are some photos. They dont do the lights justice but hopefully you get the Idea. I will try to post better ones from the road late at night.

The new High Beam

https://i47.tinypic.com/2i77lag.jpg

The new High Beam Projecting

https://i46.tinypic.com/2py3iow.jpg

The new Low Beam

https://i50.tinypic.com/x5qkya.jpg

The new Low Beam Projecting

https://i45.tinypic.com/4sjqmh.jpg

I agree with GeorgiaRoller, this bike got great lights. My old Bmw r1150gsa has terrible lights and i installed Hid so i could see the road in bad weather. But for the Fjr...maybee some extra Hella micro. But everyone do what they want, the Hids are surely better then the Oem. Just keep an extra bulb with you, they are not as easy to find as an regulare bulb if your on a long trip.

Schupperts the lights look awesome! I might go this route too (great price). I am going to have to have you come over so I can check out the lights, thanks :rolleyes:

I think you got a lot of work to retrofit these into the FJR housing. I forgot who?... but one of our members bought a preowned Feej with the projectors... saw in action at NERDS this past Aug.

SO HERE'S your problem with the actual use of them. They have an extreme-acute beam (light source) cut-off. The shutter or piece of metal that does this is actually mounted on the bottom of the projo which in turns blacks out the high (top) side of the beam (b/c of the lens inversion). Actually quite useful in a car especially for oncoming traffic but on a bike?? NOPE! as soon as you dip the handlebars and/or lean in on a turn... bamm, they're pointing so far down it's totally useless and quite dangerous. It kinda is a triangle of light on a lean/turn and on a left (or) right turn the inside of the turn (where you are going) is... black!

Trust me on this, I might not know very much about the FJR compared to some here but this is one area of my expertise. I have retrofitted well over 20 HID kits (probably close to 40 or 50) in cars/trucks/bikes/sleds and I truly know most kinds of lighting, housings and instruments. I also own a Sound & Stage Lighting Co. and have been certified in Class-1&2 Argon & optical diode Lasers.... yes, I can put on one HELL of a light show!

So save your money on soon to be "junk in a dumpster". Put your money in a quality (non China made) real HID Kit and be totally blown away by the results. If you want guidance on this, ask!

I don't have a dog in this fight.. However.

I can't believe Odot :alcoholic: went down on the girl in schupperts avatar. :fie:

So save your money on soon to be "junk in a dumpster". Put your money in a quality (non China made) real HID Kit and be totally blown away by the results. If you want guidance on this, ask!

Ok then i am asking. What brand or type of HID ballast works and lasts the best?

My personal preference is to use modulators on the main beams (can't do that with HIDs) ad to use HID auxiliary driving lights (mine are Hella Micro DE Xenons).

You get the benefit of HIDs IN ADDITION to the stock lighting as well as the daytime benefits of the modulator.