high beams?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't be tryin' to fool people, ya ugly sheep-fecker. You know as well as I do that even on the new bikes, there ain't enough stator for that setup!
tongue.png

I've never really had an issue with the stock lights on my bike. They're infinitely superior to any car I've ever had, with the exception of the ol' 88 Crown Vic, which had the old-fashioned separate high and low beam quad lamps. As others have said, I did have to aim the lights down a bit when I got the bike.

Aiming one for low and one for high is something I hadn't considered, and might be a rather elegant solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dog is male. And the worry was the other direction. I've seen the dog going after the cat, so without claws, I figured Greg would have been easy!

When the lows are adjusted to where I like them, I find the Highs too high as well. If the highs are adjusted just right, the lows are too low for my taste. One would think Yamaha would have adjusted that over the years (the lights that is)
rolleyes.gif
Yamaha use a standard H4 bulb. It's the geometry of the bulb that gives the angle between main and dipped beams, not the design of the reflector.

(Click on image for larger view)

Reflector design will only change the spread of light, not the difference.

Technically it's both. Yes, the bulb is entirely responsible for the angle difference at the source, but the angles of the reflector can also shape that beam pattern somewhat. Also, if the bulb is not sitting square in the reflector hole it can skew that cut-off dramatically as a small change in angle at the headlight results in a large change in the beam elevation way out in front of the light.

Here's a good diagram of how the light passes out of a reflector headlight (which is what we have in the FJR).

H4_TILT_SMALL.gif

The above shows the latter situation (changing source focal point location) but you can also imagine what happens if you change the angle (shape) of the reflector design behind the source.

One of the major shortcomings of the FJR headlight bucket is that the reflector parabola behind the light source is too acute in the vertical dimension. This results in highly focused and more intense beam patterns. The downfall is that in the high beams you do not get enough vertical spread to light the foreground as well as everything above the road at the same time. It also makes aiming the two beams more difficult.

Normally you only have to adjust the low beam cutoff and the high beam vertical spread is enough that you don't really care about its center. As others have noted, that isn't the case on the FJR
Leave it to Fred to shed more light on the subject. Er... anyway, I changed the stock bulbs a year ago to Osram Nightbreaker + and there was no noticeable difference in beam pattern or location between the bulbs so it is the reflector design.

C'mon...it's Friday...and still no hi-beam pictures?
Oh shucks, it is Friday already isn't it (dang holiday week made it come fast!) Kelly Brook...

6.-Kelly-Brook.jpg

And yes, ride with whatever hi-beams you may have! (there, I'm not in violation of rule 69!)

.. anyway, I changed the stock bulbs a year ago to Osram Nightbreaker + and there was no noticeable difference in beam pattern or location between the bulbs so it is the reflector design.
The Nightbreakers have the same structure and filament location as a standard H4. They're designed to be brighter, with a different color light, not put out a different pattern. You put the filaments in the same place in the headlight assembly, you get the same light pattern down the road.

C'mon...it's Friday...and still no hi-beam pictures?
Oh shucks, it is Friday already isn't it (dang holiday week made it come fast!) Kelly Brook...

6.-Kelly-Brook.jpg
I have NO idea who Kelly Brook is, but any discussion of headlights that doesn't include Kate Upton is NO discussion at all...

Kate-Upton-9.jpg

Helpin' a brother out...

(We wouldn't want Kate getting knocked out of the running. I mean, it's not like she plays for the NY Rangers or sumpthin...
wink.png
)

sports-illustrated-swimsuit-calendar-2013-9.jpg

Not that I am aware of.

(that was weird... I looked at the thread and all the posts with the more interesting high beam pictures were missing, and now they are back)

Not any more...
I guess you can't post off topic stuff in NEPRT anymore?
Admin Note: Mixing in the very non-NEPRT post you made about reflector designs (nice pic by the way) into a NEPRT thread confused me and I started to parse out what I thought was #10 stuff in a non-NEPRT thread. I put it back the way it was, but not before you noticed. Mea culpa. You and I are fine my friend. :)

Oh good, we're back on-topic which could be semi-related off-topic stuff, always in the friendly world of neprt

Let Friday roll on!