High load MPG

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
I'm starting day four of my cross country journey and I'm seeing some significant deterioration in gas mileage. I was getting 37-43 depending on riding load. I rode very hard today... 400lbs of load (inc. me) and cruising speeds between 75 and 100. Mileage was down to 33-36. I also noticed slightly rougher idling. Total miles on bike about 6k.

Reactions?

I'm starting day four of my cross country journey and I'm seeing some significant deterioration in gas mileage. I was getting 37-43 depending on riding load. I rode very hard today... 400lbs of load (inc. me) and cruising speeds between 75 and 100. Mileage was down to 33-36. I also noticed slightly rougher idling. Total miles on bike about 6k.
Reactions?
Sounds normal to me. High cruising speeds really sap mileage. Not sure about rough idling though. Hope you are saving money and using regular! That is what the bike is designed to run on. There is no reason to use a higher grade.

Plugs maybe?

I changed mine at 10,700 and it made a noticeable difference in the way it ran. The service interval on them is only 8000.

I did GA-CO-GA in the spring and the lowest mileage I got was around 40 during some long runs through the cornfields in Missouri and Kansas, mostly 80-85 with some stretches of higher speed stuff in there.

Aerodynamics is more important than weight at highway cruise speeds and up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plugs, TBS and a new air cleaner always boosts my MPG, and I ride loaded about 90% of the time, and keep your tires at 42/42, that helps.

Mogan,

The FJR is sensitive to engine load - I usually average in the 40 to 46 mpg range - however, I did have one tank that was 28 mpg - but it was due entirely to my right wrist. :blink:

Just my SOP, it seems that once you hit the 90 to 100+ level, the mileage drops very rapidly.

Have you recently done a synch on the TB? This might explain the rough idle, along with the gas being used - just my .02 worth. I wouldn't be too concerned unless the mileage and roughness continue to degrade.

Mogan: If your bike is still running rough when you get to Alberta, drop me a line. I have a carb stik, we can give it a TBS and plug change pretty quick.

I live in Central Alberta, only a couple hours off of your planned route.

Don

Mogan,

Something is very wrong with your bike. I suggest you immediately SELL it to ME before it leaves you stranded in a corn field somewhere. My standing offer of 1,200 USD still stands! :D

Try riding on the highway at 70 miles an hour. Run a full tank of gas. You should get close to 50 miles to the gallon. Goes below 40mpg once you start doing 100mph. :blink:

Not sure about the idling, but the stock plugs do go out after 8K and the ECU can only accomodate for so much. Think Iridiums.

Mileage for speed seems reasonable for load. I tend to get 40 mpg at the 70-80 mark and mid 30's when I hit triple digit in stretches. When your reserve light comes at 140 and 26 mpg for the tank you know you've done bad, bad things :huh:

The idle isn't all that bad, but the mileage is.

I'll chalk it up to big windshield, heavy load, headwinds and high speeds. Today I dipped into the high 20's for the first time, but I was hauling ass. And, I do think the gas makes a difference. It's 10-15% ethanol over here.

Try riding on the highway at 70 miles an hour. Run a full tank of gas. You should get close to 50 miles to the gallon. Goes below 40mpg once you start doing 100mph. :blink:
I've NEVER had mileage like that. I got 38-44 running around town and normal highway driving. And, given 600 mile days and BORING roads in N. Dakota and Montana... I CANNOT DO A FULL TANK AT 70. Sorry.

Normal. I went to MO. pulling a trailer averaging about 90. Mileage went to crap. Low to mid 30's. Just did the same to north GA but did the speed limit this time. 43-46. I don't get that good of mileage going to work with an empty bike. (of course, I'm running 90)

If you want MPG, do the limits.

I'll chalk it up to big windshield, heavy load, headwinds and high speeds. Today I dipped into the high 20's for the first time, but I was hauling ass. And, I do think the gas makes a difference. It's 10-15% ethanol over here.
Aahhhh, welcome to the California Paradigm(and other metropolitan areas). Freeway speeds (70-80mph)= 38-40 mpg.

Reactions?
PCIII or not? after market exhaust, windshield mostly in max. extended position?

I get 34-37 mpg on mine on a regular basis... got 5240miles on her with PCIII, holeshot exhaust and V-Stream ws

One more thing, where are you? If you're heading west, it is uphill as you gain elevation. The other part is that damn wind...combine the elevation gain, headwind, heavy load, and robust throttle operation, and you're there on the mileage.

Holy shite you silly wankers!!!!

This thread was 2.5 years DEAD until the mighty serhan re-opened it up.

Go shovel some snow or something!!!!