Holeshot 4-2 Header System vs stock exhaust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiderCoach Lar

FJRm'd and dangerous
Reaction score
The following chart is a sound comparison between shredder's '06 with a stock exhaust system and my '06 with a new Holeshot stainless header system (with and without Dale's new DB Killers). Both bike's had about 6000 miles on them. My intention was to provide sound bytes as well, however, being technologically-challenged, I accidentally deleted all the recordings we made :angry:

The sound readings were taken in a large empty parking lot with minimal ambient noise from approximately 11 feet behind each bike.

exhaustcompare.jpg

This is a fairly rough comparison, however, it gives you some idea of the difference in noise level between a stock system and a complete Holeshot system. This is the second FJR I've run a complete Holeshot system on and it remains my absolute favorite setup as far as looks and sound, especially with the addition of the new removable DB Killers.

A big thanks to shredder for supplying the sound meter and his time.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's official, Larry has the coolest and most farkle-fied FJR I have ever seen!!! :clapping:

It was kinda neat how easy the DB killers were removed / replaced. Their removal and replacement changed the "sound" of the exhaust much more than the sound pressure readings showed. I thought the Holeshots sounded deeper and more "open" w/out the killers (Kinda like a Ford 306 w/ 10 1/2 -1 compression sounds w/ a 2 1/2" diameter straight H pipe and a set of Flowmasters compared to the stock 2 1/4" quad cat set up..... sorta gives you the illusion of a "hollow" sound that just rocks). For the record, they both sound good and the quick interchangability from killer to no killer would allow you to switch it up depending on your mood..... if your into that kinda thing. :dribble:

The sound pressure readings from the stock pipes at elevated engine RPM probably had more to do with the mechanical engine noise than the exhaust noise. Sitting behind the bike I was able to hear much more mechanical noise as the engine RPM increased than I was exhaust noise...... and YES! My FJR is in good mechanical condition with Valvoline MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC engine oil and a fresh TBS (Thanks again, Larry!!) LOL