Holy cow!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2000LX

Reaction score
I hit a bird with my helmet at about 70 mph the other day. Scared the shit out of me! I was actually on my wife's FZ1 bringing it home from maintenance and saw tweety just a second or two before impact. I ducked my head instinctively and it must have hit right above my visor. I wear a HJC full face. Thank god! I was obviously a little stunned, and when I looked down at the speedo I saw the culprit lying on my plastic fairing. He was either dead or severely unconscious! As I was slowing down to knock it off the bike it vibrated off on it's own through the fork opening. Thinking back I really didn't feel as much as I thought I would, but it was definitely loud. There was hardly a spot on the helmet but some blood and feathers on the fairing. Now I can say that I have hit one in a helicopter, airplane, car, and motorcycle! I don't want to do that again!! :dribble:

I had that happen a few weeks ago. Just got up to cruisin speed and pulled the chin bar down on my symax and this bird flies out of the bushed. I think he looked up just in time to say "oh shit, a motorcycle" then tried to pull up and hit me right on the visor. Loud as hell. Sure didn't hurt me as much as him.'

They'll sure ring your noggin, won't they.

Hey. Leave RadioHowie outta this!

Hit a vulture on a 84' R100. Wasted the windshield, helmet visor and shield. Not fun, is it?

Glad your ok for sure. Reminds me of WFO 8 riding outside Moscow ID farm country smacking grasshoppers so big thought I was getting hit with rocks. And they did have a wing spread. Dang things wanted to to take over my riding position but to no avail. Could be worse though, like bouncing off elk like our friend Brodie.... ;) PM. <>< :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had two in the last two summers... one into the fairing, one hit me in the left shoulder at about 70 and pretty much exploded. Two days of torrential rains on the tour knocked most of the goo off...

Surprising the kinetic energy a few ounces of feathers can have.

Glad you had the visor down, and it wasn't worse.

Griff

Wow! Glad you kept your cool. Would have scared the snot out of me. Last time I had a bird strike was years ago, took out two geese with a King Air at night.

I've hit a few smaller birds like sparrows and whatnot. I've came close to getting clocked by a few Vultures. I grazed one's tail feathers with my windsheild. They do weird stuff when you get close if I see them feeding on roadkill I usually slow and blast my horn a few times. I find they like to fly off at the last second if you don't do something to scare'em off.

I hit a bird with my helmet at about 70 mph the other day. Scared the shit out of me! I was actually on my wife's FZ1 bringing it home from maintenance and saw tweety just a second or two before impact. I ducked my head instinctively and it must have hit right above my visor. I wear a HJC full face. Thank god! I was obviously a little stunned, and when I looked down at the speedo I saw the culprit lying on my plastic fairing. He was either dead or severely unconscious! As I was slowing down to knock it off the bike it vibrated off on it's own through the fork opening. Thinking back I really didn't feel as much as I thought I would, but it was definitely loud. There was hardly a spot on the helmet but some blood and feathers on the fairing. Now I can say that I have hit one in a helicopter, airplane, car, and motorcycle! I don't want to do that again!! :dribble:
I bet that looked cool from behind you. An explosion of feathers coming off your helmet. Boof!