Removing Tire from Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It just dawned on me that a helmet is considered an accessory and these are often covered by insurance. Depending on your deductible, it might be worth submitting a claim. Progressive paid for a Shoei for me once. It had been slightly scratched. You will probably not be charged since the damage was not your fault.

I thought about that immediately. I got info and initially intended to have the trucking company's insurance replace the helmet. It does not appear to be damaged. I was fortunate.

Tire rubber is an oil by product. WD-40 will dissolve tire rubber. It is also good to remove tar from new roads off you car or bike. It has several hundred uses. Good Luck. FYI, if you are concerned you could ship the helmet back to the supplier for inspection. My guess is that if you do, they will condemn it.

Don't remove it. Wear it like a badge of honor. You'll tell the story many times and one day it will become a myth, a legend and an epic saga.
Yeah. You can get a nickname like "Lucky" or something.
wink.png

Or "Skid MarK".

I thought about that immediately. I got info and initially intended to have the trucking company's insurance replace the helmet. It does not appear to be damaged. I was fortunate.
You can't always tell if the helmet has been damaged just by looking at it. I'd claim.

DUDE! Glad you're OK.

Why do you want to clean it off? Wear it proudly, and get instant street cred from the Hayabusa crowd.

To minimize the possibility of this occurring again, don't ride behind trucks. Swing to the adjacent lane, twist the throttle hard (or just a little if in Sport Mode) and jet by them. Slip back into their lane and re-engage your cruise control. Experienced truckers realize what you have done, and will give you plenty of room.

Truckers call 'em road gators. Thank goodness I've never hit one on the bike, but I have missed plenty and did watch one come apart in front of me on I-80 in Wyoming, smelled rubber then saw a few chunks then some big ones bouncing down the road.

Couldn't dodge one in the car not long ago, had to straddle it and it made a hell of a bang under my feet. Stout stuff. Glad you are OK. I wonder how well a bandana, even an authentic HD bandana with skulls would have worked vs your helmet....

Good point. Just this summer, I was on my way to NOLA with a few other guys to take care of a thing in a place. I was driving and the others were sleeping or pretending, and a rear tire on a logging trailer in front of us blew up like a bomb. It was like a shotgun blast, or flying through a tie fighter you just shot up. Glad I didn't have to ride through that.