Holy insurance quote Batman!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm 28, and i pay only 414 a year for full coverage, with a 500 deducible. i was reading cycle world the other day, and there was an ad, just thought i'd give them a shot. my quote- $3500/year!!! i don't know what the hell they were smoking.
When DH bought his K1200S, we were unable to get hold of State Farm on a Saturday, thus shopped around for quotes elsewhere. Geico quoted $3500 per year for what we got on Monday, from State Farm, for around $800/yr.

+1 on the underinsured coverage. We carry 100K. The aforementioned BMW was lost to a careless driver earlier this year. She carried 100K, of which we will claim every penny but if she had carried the legal minimum, our insurance would have made up the difference.

In some states (not CA) we could have claimed on both policies if the claim had exceeded what she carried. The 'stacking' law of CA prevents us using the underinsured part of our policy here.

Jill

Farmers, full coverage, standard deductables. 50yo old fart, no angel, but nothing on my record recently either. (Although I have counted on my boyish charm to save my butt a couple of times in the last 2 years) $275.00 a year. I live in a Northern state with a shorter riding season, but I think Western Washington has a longer season than Wisconsin. I do have house with them, and other auto as well. In fact, last time I asked, they weren't interested in insuring the bike alone without my other business. After reading some of the horror stories on a bunch of insurance threads over the years since I bought my 03, not only do I feel lucky, but it has kept me from shopping them on my homeowners.

I do have house with them, and other auto as well. In fact, last time I asked, they weren't interested in insuring the bike alone without my other business.
It was the same with me, nobody wanted a bike without at least car ins too. At the time we had a boat, bike, 2 cars, umbrella, and homeowners. Some were better on bike ins, but couldn't touch travelers on the other ins, so we stuck with travelers.

Just purchased my 04 and was amassed at how cheep my insurance was. No tickets or accidents in 20 years, 46 years old, high credit rating (it does make a difference) and live in a rural area of Indiana. Bodily Liability $500,000, Property Damage $100,000, $250 Deductible on Comprehensive, Collision and Road Side Assistance. The grand total is $264 annually.

Gives me more money to buy farkles. :yahoo:

Just purchased my 04 and was amassed at how cheep my insurance was. No tickets or accidents in 20 years, 46 years old, high credit rating (it does make a difference) and live in a rural area of Indiana. Bodily Liability $500,000, Property Damage $100,000, $250 Deductible on Comprehensive, Collision and Road Side Assistance. The grand total is $264 annually.
Gives me more money to buy farkles. :yahoo:
And from which agency did you purchase this coverage? I have Dairyland (underwritten by Sentry Insurance) for my FJR and '06 BMW K1200R. Both policies cost me about $280/year each. Uninsured motorist bodily is $25K and uninsured property is $20K (with $200 ded). Both of these obviously cover me and my costs. One could argue I need more bodily injury coverage I guess.

But can you tell me why you need so much property liability damage? You're a bike for God's sake. How much damage can you do??? You're the one that's gonna lose the collision battle, and how many bikes are worth more than $20K bucks? Of course, it's not like your quote is very high... If you're a responsible rider I don't see why you think you need $500,000 of coverage in case someone sues you. You only see those kinds of payouts when you're considered reckless and endangering - which you would be if you were drunk of course.

I don't know. Maybe I'm not getting this whole insurance thing. I just want to know that if someone smashes my bike (and it's their fault and I'm still alive) I want to know I'm gonna get another bike. And I just feel like $20K for a bike is enough. And if $25k in bodily injury isn't enough to cover my medical costs then that's why I have health insurance, yes?

Oh yeah. I'm 39. And holding................

Last edited by a moderator:
$220 a year from GEICO. Full coverage, $500 deductible/500/300.

40 years old.

MC licensed.

State Farm

Pennsylvania

Out of the city

$335/yr, full coverage + riders for farkles & gear

I shopped pretty heavily, and no one else came close to these rates for me.

Progressive's quote was just plain insulting.

But can you tell me why you need so much property liability damage? You're a bike for God's sake. How much damage can you do??? You're the one that's gonna lose the collision battle, and how many bikes are worth more than $20K bucks? Of course, it's not like your quote is very high... If you're a responsible rider I don't see why you think you need $500,000 of coverage in case someone sues you. You only see those kinds of payouts when you're considered reckless and endangering - which you would be if you were drunk of course.

Welcome to the litigious new world. As for "how much damage can you really do", you'd be surprised.

Welcome to the litigious new world. As for "how much damage can you really do", you'd be surprised.
My 2 cents? Our attorney is currently working on our behalf for what should be a million dollar settlement. DH's bike was totalled by a careless driver and he was very badly hurt. His medical bills have already reached 250K. The driver had only 100K insurance. Her assets are currently under investigation.

The accident could have been caused just the same, by a motorcyclist.

As well as the damages owed to us, there was another vehicle involved, whose damage she is also liable for.

Jill

State Farm, full coverage $37/month with $500 deductible, optional $32/month with $1000 deductible. Discounts because of multiple vehicles.
How much is beer there?

MKO said:
State Farm, full coverage $37/month with $500 deductible, optional $32/month with $1000 deductible. Discounts because of multiple vehicles.
How much is beer there?
In HD-land

Just posted in another insurance thread. I'm currently paying less than 300/year for my 03 Vmax (1198 cc..I believe) for full coverage w/$1000 deductable. I did an on line quote with Progressive, that I had to do as a non-policy holder (otherwise they wanted me to call), and for 300/300/100 and 1000 deductable, it was $387/year.

Also, M/47/VA/Married

55 y.o. in April, no accidents or citations on my record, MSF certificates, 42 years on motorcycles and 30+ years with a motorcycle endorsement (I believe the top of their underwriting scale is 30 years), estimating something like 10,000 yearly miles split more or less evenly between two bikes, and I carry the highest liability limits Geico offers, $500 in deductibles, plus U.M. matching the liability and med pay of $2,000. The Blackbird and FJR are about equally expensive to insure. I don't recall the exact breakdown between them, but I think I'm paying $1109 per year for both. CSAA wanted $900 more for nearly identical coverage. Classification of the bike(s), miles to be traveled, driving record, MSF discount, where you live, and years with a motorcycle endorsement are typically all factors that go into determining the premium.

My advice is that you get the highest bodily injury and property damage limits the insurer offers. All you have to do is get unlucky enough to lose control of the bike (esp. if you're speeding) and kill or maim a physician, and if all you have are low limits, you're going to have land sharks after whatever assets you have to satisfy a judgment above your policy limits. With high limits, it's a lot more likely that you can get the insurer to fork over those policy limits in an early settlement in exchange for you being released from further liability. The difference in premiums for those higher limits is surprisingly modest and well worth it -- excellent value for land shark repellant. An umbrella policy is an even better solution if you have substantial assets to be attached.

U.M., as has been stated, is another must have, IMO. Even though I owe nothing on either bike, I have comprehensive and collision because I would want to replace either bike after an accident or theft, and don't want to be faced with having to justify replacing it out of pocket -- been around these motorcycle BBs too long and have read too many such tales.

Got to agree here. Carry the MAX in liability /un/underinsured I do becasue we have no mortgage on the home and savings. I will pass on any insurance company that does not have at least 250/500 limits and 10,000 medical. I usually self insure vs theft and collision. If I mess up the bike my bad.

53 Clean record I pay $460/ year on a Honda Shadow with no comp, theft, or collision. But have high UI UNI and liability.

59 yrs. old & $260.00 per year with $1,000.00 deductible {Rochester, NY}
46 yrs old $615 per year no deductable in los Angeles.

Richard
Fairlaner that is a great rate. Who are you with? I have Foremost and pay $742/yr with $250 deductible with higher liability limits. That was the best I could find. Most wanted $2,400/yr...lol.

2007 FJR Full Coverage 250/500 -- $500 deductible age 38 $208.00 a year Minnesota, with 1 ticket in the past 3 years. 74 in a 55. I'm not a rep for Farmers ins. but I must say after reading all your rates you all pay I love my insurance agent Reletively speeking of course :blink: . My Vrod is only $278.00 a year same coverage.