Horn Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdog

Reaction score
I replaced my handlebars with some regular bars and risers, and now the horn does not function
It appears to have a Denali Air horn, with the compressor under the seat. It looks like the PO tapped into power near the battery (there is a fused link and what appears to be a ground wire headed toward the battery and terminating in a Relay with several wires running toward it. I assume it is a relay for the air horn to use the stock horn switch?? . The actual DEnali horn is located on left side behind lower panels.
I am a horn newby, don't know shit about relay except how to change them, and electrical stuff in general makes me feel kinda stupid.
I tried to find a Denali install page that correlates to this install but no luck.

Hell, I don't even know where the original horn is located and how to understand the wiring diagram. Where was the original horn located and what color wires where attached to it? I have Mini sound bomb laying around I would gladly swap in there to make things simple. I don't want to be taking those panels off more than once for this fix

So, before I take off all the panels I would love a little tutorial or advice on steps to take to see how to diagnose this issue.
The one thing I did was take the handlebar switch apart to see if there is power to the two wires controled by the switch: NO POWER There

No suggestion is to simple or novice for me in this area. Thanks in advance

If I am not mistaken, the horn is on the hot side and the horn switch completes circuit to ground?
Horn(s) are mounted by the upper part of the radiator and to one side or the other (or both). Gen I and II have two horns but at some point, Yamaha went to a single horn on one side Gen III+). I went to PIAA Slimline Sports horns for decent volume without the obnoxious (and failure-prone) air horns. Two of them can run off the normal horn circuit without using a relay but you will need some sort of wiring harness if you do it. Check the horn by direct connection to 12V. Check the fuse. Check that the switch works.

YouTube of someone who added PIAA horns to a Gen III...

I would expect power at the switch. For that, I would consult the manual and check fuses. You say there is an inline fuse for the horn, and probably the stock fuse where it should be.

An electromagnet is a coil of wire. Put a Voltage on the wires from each end of the coil, and it becomes a real magnet, but it's a magnet that you can switch on and off. A relay is just an Off-On switch that can easily handle a grundle of power. You can't flip that relay switch with a finger, but if you turn on the electromagnet, then magnetism will pull an iron rod connected to the switch. That rod will flip the heavy-duty switch. It takes very little power to make the coil into a magnet, so even a lightweight little switch can flip on the relay. Any switch on a bike (that does something now without a relay) will last about forever if it is used to turn on a relay coil, instead of the original heavy load. Replacing a stock handlebar switch can cost a mint, and that's if you can still buy one. A common relay may cost less than US$ 5 and is available at most auto parts stores. If your handlebar switches power relays, then those expensive handlebar switches will outlast the bike. Any relay failure is cheap and easy to fix. At home, a relay controlled by a little switch (such as found in the home thermostat) will be turning on your home furnace or air conditioning system. No lightweight switch could carry that load, but the switch inside the relay is built heavy enough to do that.

Hope that helps. It would help us to help you if you put your FJR year and model in your signature, or under your avatar. Still, there is no telling what the PO did there, so you will be stuck for tracing out the install. If you are located near a forum member, they may be able to come by to lend a hand there. Can't hurt to ask, and make the arrangements by Private Messages.