How about some comfort advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After owning my FJR for two weeks I departed on a 1000+ mile ride. Within 45 minutes of starting I thought my wrist was going to explode. I stopped at a bike shop picked up a Crampbuster throttle assist device and haven't looked back! I have not tried all the other higher end options, already mentioned, but if you need a quick fix, I have found the 'crampbuster' style devices all I need for my long rides. I usually have to buy a new one (~$15) once a year.

All that said, I just ordered a Go Cruise device because it looks like an inexpensive way to give the right wrist a temporary break on the slab.

Lastly, I'm 6'3 and used to experience serious neck and upper back pain on long rides. I used to blame my modular helmet. I started focusing on posture and relaxed riding, already mentioned, and my problems have disappeared! I would be curious to check out a bike with risers but risers aren't on my farkle list...yet.

Matt, I have a pair on the way, Im also gonna try a cramp buster. Sounds like these are all I will need.

Thanks again

I am looking for some suggestions regarding comfort on my new to me 05 FJR. I picked it up three weeks ago and have put 700 miles on her so far, I realize that may not sound like much but considering I am in Ohio in February I think that is pretty good. ;) I put 120 miles on today and by the end of the ride the center of my shoulders were a little sore and my thumb on my throttle hand seemed to go numb. I am not sure this is from the position because this is the same issue I had when I rode my Harley Lowrider, which I sold to by the FJR!! :clapping: (best thing I ever did)But the Lowrider was a cruiser and did not have the same seating position as the FJR at all. Now to really confuse you the other love of my life is my 01 FZ1 which is the most comfortable I have ever ridden at any distance. It is obvious the FZ allows me to sit up with no pressure forward and I have never had any issues while riding her. Lastly, I am in very good physical condition, 5'8 180, and it feels like Im always reaching on the FJ. So how can I make my FJ feel like my FZ?

I am thinking bar risers with a rearward offset? First do they make such a beast? If so has anyone have any experience with them? What brand do you suggest? any do's or dont's?

I love the bike but I would like to make it just a tad more comfortable.

Here is what I have found is super fun and amazing at the same time!! Take the FJR out for about an hour on our local twisties and then jump right on the FZ1 and run the same course. The FZ feels like it is as light as a minibike!! Man talk about fun!!

Anyway thanks for any help you can share.

Al

Exercise right.....Twist the Wrist

I installed Helirisers on my 05 back in 07 and it made quite a difference. They are offset but on the second day of a long ride I still get the bee sting between the shoulder blades. Went to a Russel seat and that made a big difference in comfort since the 05 seat is a beast to ride.

I just instlled the MCL riser plate and love it! Brings the bars up 1.5 and back 1.5. Not cheap but very well made. If u try a block you will only get 1.25 inch rise. If its not enough you will wish you went higher. The MCL riser plate is exspensive but very well made. I also feel slightly less vibes due to the thick plate and 4 clamping bolts.

I have these https://fjr1300risers.homestead.com/10degreeproduct.html

Up and back plus flatten out 10 degrees. Find these really good in making me sit up

and take the weight off my wrists.
So what is the deal with them not making them for '06 and newer bikes? It is six years now since the 2nd Gen's have been out, they cannot figure it by now?

<- Just grumpy because that is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Hell I am fine with height and reach, but dammit I really want to adjust the freaking angle of the bars!

Well, after 700 miles in three weeks ( in Ohio, in Feb. no less) on my new to me 05 FJR. I can say I love it, however I have to say it is not as comfortable as my 01 FZ1. Smoother ride, yes, just as much power, yes. But after 130 miles today my shoulders were alittle sore and my throttle hand (thumb) was alittle numb. I assume this is due to the slightly forward position. Now for the question, I want to raise my bars and maybe bring them back alittle. Can someone suggest some specfic riders and opinions on how to correct this issue. Any do's or don'ts.

I can tell you one thing that I find a blast, is to take the FJR on some twisties for about an hour and then jump right on the FZ and run the same course!! The FZ is like whipping around a 1000cc dirtbike!! No doubt the best two bike in the world!! Atleast for me!!

Anyway, any help would be great!!

Twist the Wrist!!

Al
The transformation for me was adding a Russell Day Long seat, AVCC cruise control, and the Helibars triple clamp which pulls the bars up and back about 1 1/2". With those three (adding heated gear is another :yahoo: when its cold) I feel fresh after 500 miles (sorry but I'm no 1000 miler/day guy).

Hell I am fine with height and reach, but dammit I really want to adjust the freaking angle of the bars!
The only thing stopping the bars from being positioned in a different angle is 2 small pins. If you were to pull them out or cut them off, then you could put the bars wherever you wanted. Just make sure the nut is well tightened so that the bars don't move. I don't mind the bar angle, but if I wanted to change it I'd have no problem removing those pins.

Maybe I would consider redrilling those pins in a different location but don't think I woud feel safe scraping them altogether,just my 2cents. :huh:

Gen I (2003-2005) & Gen II (2006 & newer) triple clamps and bars design are completely different with no compatability.

I's merely bolt the two part bars to a plate that clamps to the forks.

II's have a plate that contains adjustable bars requiring the plate to be replaced to raise or move them more.

I tried Helibars on my '04 Gen I and wanted more height and offset to the rear, so added D&D 10 degree sweep risers to those and have loved them for 4 years now.

in addition, I have a Sargeant Seat with Airhawk Air Pad on top, Wild Bill Highway Pegs (some go with the similar Motorcycle Larry product), and a full Nelson Rigg Weekender Seat Bag that I lean on as a backrest. Grip Puppies, plus a throttle lock (Throttlemeister for me) and an Audiovox Electronic Cruise Control round out my strategic confort farkles.

4591874853_d4b7448f5e_z.jpg