How can a new guy protect the engine and fairing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpevita

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just picked up a new 2009 AE. The farkling has begun. Noticed some bikes have cyclinder shaped protectors sticking out from the side fairings for protection. Did a search and the link to "Bike Johnny" is dead. Anyone know where I can get these products? Dan

I put on a set of die cut 3m protective film cut for the FJR. Covers all the important edges. It takes some skill and patience but i found it well worth it. If you do it yourself it'll cost $200+ for the kit. I took the body parts off to apply it, but you could have a pro do it for a couple $$ more. The 3m stuff is the one to get. It's far superior to other film.

I got the longer sliders myself and use em as red neck highway pegs. Check out the thread on "A poorman's highway pegs" going around.

BTW, anyone have of these Polished alum sliders on an FJR? They sure look purdy. But i'd want to see them on someones FJR before buying them.

Some say it's over kill but i am thinking i might go for these crash bars just for the rear. They will pay for themselves after one parking lot tip over by protecting the bags.

905 bars

Best-O-luck with her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put on a set of die cut 3m protective film cut for the FJR. Covers all the important edges. It takes some skill and patience but i found it well worth it. If you do it yourself it'll cost $200+ for the kit. I took the body parts off to apply it, but you could have a pro do it for a couple $$ more. The 3m stuff is the one to get. It's far superior to other film.

I got the longer sliders myself and use em as red neck highway pegs. Check out the thread on "A poorman's highway pegs" going around.

BTW, anyone have of these Polished alum sliders on an FJR? They sure look purdy. But i'd want to see them on someones FJR before buying them.

Some say it's over kill but i am thinking i might go for these crash bars just for the rear. They will pay for themselves after one parking lot tip over by protecting the bags.

905 bars

Best-O-luck with her.

Thanks for all the great links.. Appears to be a choice between the nylon black for 120 bucks and the silver aluminumfor 20.. One question, I tried to do a search for the "Poor Mans Highway Pegs" and came up zilch. Could you provide a link? Thanks... Dan

Black Delrin sliders are $120? Where are you looking? ORS sliders are $55.

I wouldn't put aluminum sliders on my bike. If you actually need them to slide, aluminum is notorious for grabbing the pavement and flipping the bike.

Spend $55 for your $14,000 bike.

after researching a bit, settled on Motovation. ...LOVE my motovations frame sliders... sliders should be the first thing you put on there. mine took 10 minutes total. worth every penny.

Black Delrin sliders are $120? Where are you looking? ORS sliders are $55.

I wouldn't put aluminum sliders on my bike. If you actually need them to slide, aluminum is notorious for grabbing the pavement and flipping the bike.

Spend $55 for your $14,000 bike.
Or more!

after researching a bit, settled on Motovation. ...LOVE my motovations frame sliders... sliders should be the first thing you put on there. mine took 10 minutes total. worth every penny.
What led to your decision to pick the motovation brand?

905 bars

Best-O-luck with her.

Thanks for all the great links.. Appears to be a choice between the nylon black for 120 bucks and the silver aluminumfor 20.. One question, I tried to do a search for the "Poor Mans Highway Pegs" and came up zilch. Could you provide a link? Thanks... Dan
Seriously?

Or, ya could do like me and never ride it ;)

Just don't get drunk and try an move it around in the garage,damn thing will tip over :blink:

All the Nylon/Delrin sliders are going to do the same job. Some are more proud than others evident in the price assuming they all have the machine pressed metal sleeves inserts to ensure the bolts do not come loose do to vibration.

The question is do you prefer the look of one slider over the other and are you willing to pay the difference.

I wouldn't touch aluminium sliders.

I strongly recommend "extended" delrin sliders - 4" long.

The standard 3" sliders don't protect the left-side (stator) cover.

assuming they all have the machine pressed metal sleeves inserts to ensure the bolts do not come loose do to vibration.
Be SURE they have the metal insert. On the Gen II machines, these are the engine mounting bolts too. Without the metal insert, they will loosen up in a short time

I wouldn't touch aluminium sliders.
+1 too much impact tranfer to the frame

poor man's sliders

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=140152&pid=889033&st=0entry889033

you want to do research on tank protection whether textile or plastic base

plus some use tank bags with mounts on the fuel cap structure that floats above the paint

dont ask me for details as i'm a die hard function over form rider who thinks scratches are art and personality

(full disclosure: mixed up my meds with my doggies' worm pills)