How come Cruisers are so much more popular than ST's?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
I have noticed in my 370 mile commute to work each way that I seldom ever see an ST bike on the road. I am constantly looking and see lots of groups of riders on Hardleys ie Cruisers. I personally have rented a cruiser or two(HD Ultra Classic, Road King etc.) before and found my BMW R 1100RT-P to be much more comfortable as most of you would agree. So I am curious as to why there are so many more cruiser style bikes than there are Sport Touring bikes. Is it an image thing or am I missing the big picture here. Also I have noticed at my job as a Fireman it seems as though most of these Harley riders look down on the ST guys. Matter of fact the other day I was showing a photo of an FJR from this site here to a few co-workers who happen to own Harleys and they laughed at me and said it was a girls bike. Funny thing about these guys at work is that even though the own a Harley they will be lucky to put 2000 miles a year on them. Even that mileage I am sure is very high for most of them. So why do these Cruiser riders look down on the ST riders? My wife also doesn't care for the looks of ST bikes and would rather see me get a HD. She knows I won't buy one. I just don't get it....... I do get this however, it was a funny bumper sticker I saw one day driving home which read "90% of all Harleys are still on the road.... The other 10% made it home."

Here are my theories:

Marketing

Media

Lack of riding

I love my VTX 1300 C, it is a great cruiser (at a 3rd of a cost of a HD and fully customized gets more looks and better comments than HDs) but after I got back from my 3K mile 12 day road trip, I knew that I needed another bike. A smoother, better handling bike.

I ride to work ever day. I do about 500 miles per week just on work alone. If you are a rider as opposed to ride your bike, you eventually grow out of the cruisers.

They are still fun to customize (more so than the STs given the options) and they are cooler to look at (thanks to the way the media programs us) but at the end of the day if you are a rider, you will go ST or T. You can be a rider and stick to cruisers but only because you've never tried a ST or T for extended period of time.

laco,

Don't feel bad, most Cruiser type cyclist ,I believe I read somewhere, only ride about 1200 miles a year. This usually translates a LOOKER type ride to the local bar and back on weekends. Serious ST riders, like those on this forum, ride this much in a couple of weeks and appreciate the safer-better ergonimics (in my mind) and more PRACTICAL aspects of the ST bikes.

Each has his/her own reason for riding...we just prefer a machine that can go farther in a more practical fashion and not looking to impress others in bars.

It's a lifestyle, man. And an identity. you would be part of the "brotherhood". Obviously, man, you just don't get it.

There are a couple of "cruiser" owners where I work. Typical of some "hype" their idea of a dayride is 30 miles...and true to their "identity", stop at 4 bars. That's not to say that they are all like that. 2 of my friends are riders who own Harley Davidsons and will ride on our typical 350-400 mile lunch rides. They do not ride the twisty roads like some FJR owners will, but they'll ride all day long and be ready to go in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cruiser's are fine bikes - for amatures. They're easy to handle, require very little attention to herd down the road, and their performance curve is very controllable - all qualities which make them perfect for the average female cyclist*. The things are good 'beginner' street bikes, what with their low center of gravity and gentle braking characteristics. The range of price, availability, and variety is amazing. They sound 'cool', and people think they look 'cool'. They're generally easy on the legs, and easy on the hands (some serious riders use the things, purely for these ergos).

The average adult motorcycle owner doesn't take cycling seriously. He rides recreationally, and has purchased his motorcycle impulsively, influenced by peer pressure and media saturation. A cruiser fits the bill - which is probably for the best. Imagine what would happen, if every wannabe/weekender/wildhog was out buying FJRs or Hyabusas or ZX14s. Would motorcycles still be legal? What would insurance rates be like? Would you WANT to ride the hiways and byways, in a world like that?

Count your blessings. Be happy most people ride cruisers.

*That for your pals who think an FJR looks like a girls' bike.

Because cruisers are usually cheap and easy, like a street corner hooker.

Why buy a cruiser....why pay for sex? Sex is free, cruisers are simple.

All joking aside, some just want a cheaper mode of transport.

Some want to see what all the fuss is about.

Some have a small penis.

Some can't afford a corvette.

Actually the last two go hand in hand

sorry can't help the jokes

Some always wanted a bike and finally got one.

Bikes are fun.

Some just want to cruise in the wind.

Riding on two wheels is great no matter what.

You can trade in your ginormous off-road grocer getter and get 4 bikes.

Bikes are fun.

Riding properly takes more skill and concentration then and other road legal machine.

Wearing leather makes you feel sexy.

A brand new tractor is very expensive.

You only live once so enjoy it.

Bikes are fun.

When you don't have a personality or life, doing simple things and bragging loudly about it while ridiculing everything else enlargens your penis and the rocks in your head.

Bikes are fun.

I have noticed in my 370 mile commute to work each way that I seldom ever see an ST bike on the road. I am constantly looking and see lots of groups of riders on Hardleys ie Cruisers. .... So I am curious as to why there are so many more cruiser style bikes than there are Sport Touring bikes. Is it an image thing or am I missing the big picture here. (?)
JRO: "The average adult motorcycle owner doesn't take cycling seriously. He rides recreationally, and has purchased his motorcycle impulsively, influenced by peer pressure and media saturation. A cruiser fits the bill -"
JRO pretty well summed it up. Regardless of what we all would like to think; Hollywood, Madison Ave, and 'the media' decide alot of what America thinks and does. When I tour, I mostly see Harleys and BMWs -- Jap bikes are (I think), generally, considered 'play things' and spend most of their time sitting in a garage. And....in the big picture, sport-touring is still a 'niche market' -- a very small niche..... :(

Can't we all just get along? I hate to say, but I go both ways, cruisers and STs!

I ride a Yamaha Warrior on weekends and for shorter rides, although I have taken it on 1000+ mile rides too. It is fun for me to customize, personalize, and make plenty of noise. I must say that HD owners have their own way of looking at everything, as I ride with many of them on a regular basis. Some certainly contend that their way is the only way. I would not own a HD if my life depended on it, and recently it almost did. I was following my buddy and his highway peg vibrated off, and almost hit me in the head!

"All I want to do is ride! Ya know, RIDE SALLY RIDE" --Woody-Wild Hogs

1795505639_42bde40898_o.jpg

I have noticed in my 370 mile commute to work each way...
Damn! That could be quite a haul after a long tour. I hope you work at least a 2-4.

Hey woobie- Way too much helmet for the rest of your "gear", and that cruiser bike makes you look fat! :p

I love my choice, and I'm sure there are many on other platforms who love theirs, so it's all good, as long as they stay on their side of the centerline.

We passed some of those loud-piped guys (in the cage) yesterday on our way to Frisco, and as soon as we got in front of them, the noise went away. Somebody should make pipes that have the opening facing forward, so it might actually do some good.

Because cruisers are usually cheap and easy, like a street corner hooker.

Why buy a cruiser....why pay for sex? Sex is free, cruisers are simple.

All joking aside, some just want a cheaper mode of transport.

Some want to see what all the fuss is about.

Some have a small penis.

Some can't afford a corvette.

Actually the last two go hand in hand

sorry can't help the jokes

Now that is funny, I don't care who you are!!! :good: :haha: :rofl:

I have noticed in my 370 mile commute to work each way...
Hey woobie- Way too much helmet for the rest of your "gear", and that cruiser bike makes you look fat! :p
Actually the bike is getting painted now to match the helmet so all will flow better, and, well I AM FAT, because I gave up cycling for this gig! :unsure:
Hey....I like your Cruiser. I started on a 2006 Suzuki Cruiser that I still have. It is fun and easier for around town due to the lower seat and gets ridden about 1/3 of the time. For weekends and the twisties, there is the FJR, hands down the most fun. And like you, my bicycles just haven't gotten any use since I got into riding.

Maybe because of nostalgia & you can get more hair under a half helmet ? :derisive: I owned at least one HD ( A big chick magnet) all the time between 1971 & 1990 along with several other brands of Jap finess.

"All I want to do is ride! Ya know, RIDE SALLY RIDE" --Woody-Wild Hogs
See what I mean -- it's all about Hollywood, Madison Ave, or 'the media'......

Can you envision Bruce Willis starring in "Wild ST1300s" or (even better) "Wild PC800s" ??

In his autobiography, Sonny Barger wrote (paraphrasing): "If we'd been smart we'd all rode ST1100s."

But, he/they didn't -- and that (along with Hollywood's promotion) set the stage for gullible Americans to 'lemming' along for decades. :(

Why are SUV's so popular?

Why is Budwiser so popular?

Simple...most people are stupid. And I mean that in a nice way of course. From my point of view,

I drive a small sports car, and drink imported beer, and I can't really understand why everyone else doesn't too.

People as whole are sheep.(Again in a good way....) They follow trends and marketing ploys , and spend little time doing any research. Some fear standing out. Some simply have not been exposed to alternatives. Statis matters to them. And some just really like things that are diffrent from what I like.

So I ride my FJR and when not, drink my Erdinger's and try not to give a shit what other folks like or ride. Not a problem, as I try to respect their choices anyway.

But if someone were to make fun of what I ride , I'd likely join the fun and let them know how lame theirs is to me..........

KM

I agree that if everyone rode FJR's, motorcycles would probably be outlawed..and most of the HD bars would be out of business. I would like to think of our sport tourers as a really well kept secret. :glare: