How come Cruisers are so much more popular than ST's?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're way more comfortable than an FJR (for me) but I like to tear up the twisties, split lanes lane share on my daily commute, and I really like insane acceleration. So I ride an FJR, at least on the street. That being said, it's all about sex appeal and there's no other type of bike that gets more of this than cruisers, especially HD's:

chaps2.jpg

No those aren't JB's chaps! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
While I've never been a real member of HarleyWorld, I do own an '05 Sportster 1200 (in addition to my '06 FJR). I thought I'd sell it when I bought the FJR, but it's such an excellent counterpoint to the FJR, I may just keep it a while. I use it for short haul, in-town running around for errands, meetings, and such. But when I'm heading out for some serious distance, the FJR is the ticket. All in all, the best of both worlds. As to what others ride, or why they ride it, that's never been important to me.

I think it can be summed up in 3 sentences:

1.) I'm not who I think I am

2.) I'm not who you think I am

3.) I am who I think you think I am

Therein lies the reason some of us select the type bike we ride.

Personally I think as mentioned alot of America buys into the marketing and hype of the "American" biker and to do that they buy an American bike namely a HD. Also IMO alot of people including me were brought up watching the mystique of the "outlaw" bad boy biker and those guys were riding Harleys. I came from the dirt riding scene like many here and evolved into street riding and stuck with my idea of a biker when I hit the streets and that was HD's. After being side lined for several years found out about the sport type of bikes and the new type of riding possible, I found there was alot more to riding than the layed back riding style of cruisers. More challenges, more power, more riding ability needed that really woke me up to the real "sport" of bike riding. New doors opened, new friends and new possibilities have happened. I really think alot of cruiser riders are affaid to enter into the sportier type of riding due to maybe the risks. In reality they are missing out on a whole new world. But I still love and ride both for the pure joy and for ministry. PM. <>< :yahoo:

Instant "cool" and acceptance. Let's face it, its about ego gratification and personal identity. None of us really NEED the bikes we buy (except Warchild. :lol: He NEEDED the'Busa! :eek: ), we want them for hundreds of various reasons. Iceman has it fairly accurate:

Ice Man Posted Yesterday, 07:14 PM
I think it can be summed up in 3 sentences:

1.) I'm not who I think I am

2.) I'm not who you think I am

3.) I am who I think you think I am

They're way more comfortable than an FJR (for me) but I like to tear up the twisties, split lanes lane share on my daily commute, and I really like insane acceleration. So I ride an FJR, at least on the street. That being said, it's all about sex appeal and there's no other type of bike that gets more of this than cruisers, especially HD's:
chaps2.jpg

No those aren't JB's chaps! :lol:
Can I be her passenger?I think that seat might just fit the two of us.

One of my co-workers explained the appeal of cruisers to me this way.
"The best part about riding a cruiser is being able to dress the wife in leather."
I'll tell you this, I love when the gf gets in her assless chaps and gets out in the wind, because SHE loves it. Then later on.. I love it :D

In all truth, I've done the cruiser thing since 93 when I sold my VFR (before that a 900 Ninja). Getting old sucks. If you look at my gear, its a mix of leather stuff and textile. Depends on the kind of riding I'm doing and conditions. I don't make fun of bikers whether they're dressed up a hooligans or power rangers.

(This isn't pointed at any one person)

Why are cruisers more popular than STs?

Attitudes like the one that some of you are displaying right here.

I'm from Sturgis (yeah, that Sturgis), and have met thousands of bikers, riders, and poseurs over the years. I've ridden a Yamaha Radian 600, a CBR600, a Suzuki Intruder 1500LC, a BMW R1150RT, and now a Harley Ultra Classic. I loved every one of them, and they all did something different for me.

MOST Harley riders - true riders - could give a flying leap about what or how you ride. I personally drag the floorboards on my Ultra every chance I get, and love to try and chase sportbikes down the canyons. Sure, I can't keep up, but it's fun to try.

The latest trend is that "cruisers are cool", and that's where alot of this bullshit attitude is coming from. TV like American Chopper, Biker Build Off, etc., have got people thinking that motorcycles aren't for trash - they're for yuppies, too! Another status symbol. Just like a new BMW, boat, or Hummer. It has no real bearing on a real rider or biker.

They buy these bikes because they see stupid antics on sportbikes. Yeah, yeah - we all know the difference between an FJR and an R1, but can most of the sportbike/ST crowd pick out the differences between a Dyna, Sportster, Softail, or Road King? How about between a Road Star and a Vulcan? You see where I'm going. They see lots of plastic and the canted-forward position and assume "crotchrocket" - and they're intimidated by it, or they sit on one and don't care for the pressure on the wrists or the tilt of the neck.

Riding my Ultra is like sitting on your favorite easy chair. It's easy, it's comfortable, and it's fun. You can go slow (mostly, it *is* a Harley), but after 500 miles, you'll still be comfortable when you get there. My summer rides are regularly 350-400 mile days; my annual "boys trip" is usually 1200-2000 miles in 4-5 days.

You're stereotyping based on a small cross-section of the cruiser riders that are loud and visible. For the same reasons you condemn them, they condemn 'them damn crotchrockets'.

Yeah, some of them are dickheads. I know that on my Intruder, the "new Harley riders" would give a rash of shit about "eh, it ain't a Harley". People who DIDN'T EVEN RIDE would crack wise. Old-school Harley riders would check it over, ride the LC, and come back saying "damn, that's a nicer bike than mine."

I can appreciate any motorcycle, and in fact, my next bike may well be an FJR1300. I bought my Ultra because it was the most comfortable bike for my wife, and it was fun to ride by myself, as well. I - and most of the Harley/cruiser riders I know - don't give a shit WHAT you ride, but THAT you ride. Where's breakfast?

Seriously. If the 'riders' - and you're mostly slamming HD owners here - are that insecure, upset, and remorseful over their purchase, just be satisfied that you like what you like, and you RIDE your motorcycle.

Otherwise, it's just a depreciating asset in your garage that happens to have a motor and looks sort of like a motorcycle, and you don't really remember what the big deal was in the first place. I hope you're not that guy or girl.

'He said he wants to get a fat boy, "they're easy to ride, right? "

Sounds like my co-worker, who hadn't ridden in 20 years and went out and bought a Fat Boy to get back into it.

Problem is, after he had the Fat Boy a couple of months, he rode his daughters new Buell and quickly found out his Fat Boy rides and handles like, a.....ummmm, Fat Boy, which is not so good.

So, he is looking to sell/trade his Fat Boy and get something a little easier to ride.