How Do I Ship My Forks?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Ok, so it seems I need a little help here. My forks are way overdue for service and I will be shipping them out to Traxxion Dynamics as soon as I can find something to ship them in. I am having a hell of a time finding an appropriate shipping container.

I would really like to find a box in 10" X 10" X 36" or 8" X 8" X 36" sizes but have not been able to do so other than online and in bundles of 25. The UPS store has a 12" X 12" X 40" box, but that is too damned big.

I've looked everywhere. No joy.

Somebody throw me a bone here. How does everyone else ship their forks?

Try a box honey!

Try finding a huge box form a hot water heater (ok maybe not that big) or something and custom cut it down. I do that all the time. Box cutter, packing tape, and BAM! New custom box in minutes. Oh, and don't cut yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
***Poof***

And many off-topic posts go bye-bye.

I won't beat around the bush, keep posts on topic. Word.

ScooterG you asked for a bone and here it is. You will have to take it away from the dog though.

dog-bone.jpg

Seriously I would build a box from 1x2 or something.

I have never shipped forks but I have read that others had good success using a gun case.

Gun cases work great.

I remember reading the same things too around here. IIRC, they said to go to Walmart for one. I went to Walmart and no joy. Not being a real big gun dude, where would one find a gun case? I guess I need to find where the nearest gun store is. Shouldn't be too hard here in Arizona.

[quote name=SkooterG" post="1028875" time="1357102535] I remember reading the same things too around here. IIRC, they said to go to Walmart for one. I went to Walmart and no joy. Not being a real big gun dude, where would one find a gun case? I guess I need to find where the nearest gun store is. Shouldn't be too hard here in Arizona.

I would go to a gun shop or pawn shop sells used guns.....and buy a used case.

Cabella's locally or Amazon has some for under $20. Look up shot gun cases to eliminate hits for hand guns.

You might consider wrapping the forks with tool box liner foam padding, then wrap it with cardboard and ship it.

I remember reading the same things too around here. IIRC, they said to go to Walmart for one. I went to Walmart and no joy. Not being a real big gun dude, where would one find a gun case? I guess I need to find where the nearest gun store is. Shouldn't be too hard here in Arizona.
I would go to a gun shop or pawn shop sells used guns.....and buy a used case.

Cabella's locally or Amazon has some for under $20. Look up shot gun cases to eliminate hits for hand guns.

Both good advice. Thanks!

Why don't you call Lee and ask him to send you the appropriate box,or what he recommends...

R
Called him already a ways back. He gave several recommendations. Primarily to get a cardboard box and pack it well. May touch base with him again.

Try a box honey!

Try finding a huge box form a hot water heater (ok maybe not that big) or something and custom cut it down. I do that all the time. Box cutter, packing tape, and BAM! New custom box in minutes. Oh, and don't cut yourself.

Good advice Simon. Did this the first time I shipped my forks back in 2006. So where do I find a good donor box? Wish I hadn't thrown away that one I made before. Just happened to have something laying around that would work. Not the case currently.

Try a box honey!

Good advice Simon. Did this the first time I shipped my forks back in 2006. So where do I find a good donor box? Wish I hadn't thrown away that one I made before. Just happened to have something laying around that would work. Not the case currently.
You cheap ass bastage.. Get up off that wallet and buy a small roll of bubblewrap and a piece of foam at a crafts store. Lowes and Home Depot come to mind and they have several sizes of boxs you can cut down.

I wouldn't spend the money for a gun case, guns are shipped in boxs that would probably work with a we bit of ingenuity.

Hell I bet if ya talked to yer rich step pappy he'd spring for an early birthday gift and buy it for you.

I shipped mine to GP last year in an inexpensive gun case I got from Cabellas. They shipped them back in a box! (They did return the gun case after I asked for it)

I used the local UPS store years ago. They bubble wrapped and boxed for me. This last time I used the box my forks were shipped in last time. A little beat up but the box still worked.

The brown truck should be delivering my shock and forks from GP today!

Would 8" PVC make a suitable mailing tube?

I see them on top of vans with screw on caps on one end. Would guess you could just make one shorter.