How Do I Ship My Forks?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the local UPS store years ago. They bubble wrapped and boxed for me. This last time I used the box my forks were shipped in last time. A little beat up but the box still worked.

The brown truck should be delivering my shock and forks from GP today!
+1. I've shipped a couple large weird shaped items since Thanksgiving and the UPS store has always had in stock what I needed.

I used the local UPS store years ago. They bubble wrapped and boxed for me. This last time I used the box my forks were shipped in last time. A little beat up but the box still worked.

+1

I did the same.

You can use any pack n ship place. Make sure they pad them good, and tell them what they cost new.

I have never shipped forks but I have read that others had good success using a gun case.
I did the gun case and the shipping was very expensive due to the size.

Next time I'll just cut down a large box to fit.

Might be worth calling a music shop that sells guitars.

The box for the guitar or guitar case may work.

+1

I did the same.

You can use any pack n ship place. Make sure they pad them good, and tell them what they cost new.
That's what I did...

U-haul and other moving stores sell all kinds of boxes. The wardrope box would be a good choice. Cut to size and wrap it with LOTS of packing tape, not storage tape.

Pack it to be able to withstand being launched repeatedly from a catapult because that is pretty much the way they treat your packages.

Craigs List often has listing for people getting rid of moving boxes. I picked up bunch for free to use them for packing items for a bike I was parting out.

I shipped mine through the UPS store, they had these triangular boxes that the forks fit in perfectly after bubble wrapping. I brought some plywood 'shoes' for the ends of the box with me. Just drop them in the box before you put the forks in.

FedEx has a box that worked for me. I put dixie cups on the rebound adjusters and packed well. GPS returned in the same box. I will reuse the same container.

I made a box out of scrap plywood. Packed the forks inside with soft materials (bubble wrap) so they would not move. I made a piece to fit over the top ends of the forks so they would not get damaged if the box were dropped. Cost nothing and took about a half hour to make. Used wood screws put it all together.

Try a box honey!

Try finding a huge box form a hot water heater (ok maybe not that big) or something and custom cut it down. I do that all the time. Box cutter, packing tape, and BAM! New custom box in minutes. Oh, and don't cut yourself.
Good advice Simon. Did this the first time I shipped my forks back in 2006. So where do I find a good donor box? Wish I hadn't thrown away that one I made before. Just happened to have something laying around that would work. Not the case currently.
Go to your local Home Depot, Lowe's, or Sears, any retail joint that has larger appliances, they throw out huge boxes all the time.

Good luck.

I made a box out of scrap plywood. Packed the forks inside with soft materials (bubble wrap) so they would not move. I made a piece to fit over the top ends of the forks so they would not get damaged if the box were dropped. Cost nothing and took about a half hour to make. Used wood screws put it all together.
You are basing this on the fact that dumbo can safely us power tools...

I'm betting the guy will lose at least one finger and half his pecker if he even looks at a saw..

Gun Case or triangle tubes from UPS.

if you use triangle shapes tubes from UPS and are not going to ship via UPS, you can put them together inside out. Wrap the forks in bubble wrap and use card board spacers on either end to keep the fork from shifting. The boxes are free at a UPS store.

Pack it to be able to withstand being launched repeatedly from a catapult because that is pretty much the way they treat your packages.
This^^^ is the truth...pack them well enough to survive the apocalypse.

I shipped mine through the UPS store, they had these triangular boxes that the forks fit in perfectly after bubble wrapping. I brought some plywood 'shoes' for the ends of the box with me. Just drop them in the box before you put the forks in.
Great method. Adding to the plywood, I would add some very thick cardboard spacers or a good amount of bubble wrap for a little "give" top and bottom.

--G

What a boring thread.
lazy.gif

Hey Mr. IBA, how about *riding* the bike there?
no.gif
angel.gif

I built a custom box, as suggested. Added plenty of foam and bubblewarp, and had no problems.