How do you “Long Distance” guys concentrate???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have most issues when...

1) I am on an Interstate

2) I am short on sleep and need a nap

3) I have just had lunch and it is a warm day.

If I'm by myself, I try to wake my ass up before the ground does. If I'm still unable to ride, I stop and get some iced tea and eat or whatever works.

My secret is to be a Candy Butt Association member (and president). CBA folks have no guilt trips about pulling over every 50 miles, taking piccies of flowers n' beautiful wimmens, drinking water and diet coke, pissing like race horses every 50 miles, stretching the legs, stopping for a nap or interesting burger bar in the middle of nowhere. Yep, the world is full of entertaining wonders when you slow down and look.

Basically what I'm saying is them LDR types just don't have much brain power, so they don't get distracted by things like lack of sleep, boredom, and sore butts. It's only those folks with IQ's > than hatsize that have such afflictions. Thats why they joined the CBA and not IBA!

:rofl: [SIZE=8pt]Yes, this is a parody, don't get yer nickers all bunched up lest ye start worrying about too!..[/SIZE] :rofl:

My secret is to be a Candy Butt Association member (and president). CBA folks have no guilt trips about pulling over every 50 miles, taking piccies of flowers n' beautiful wimmens, drinking water and diet coke, pissing like race horses every 50 miles, stretching the legs, stopping for a nap or interesting burger bar in the middle of nowhere. Yep, the world is full of entertaining wonders when you slow down and look.
Basically what I'm saying is them LDR types just don't have much brain power, so they don't get distracted by things like lack of sleep, boredom, and sore butts. It's only those folks with IQ's > than hatsize that have such afflictions. Thats why they joined the CBA and not IBA!

:rofl: [SIZE=8pt]Yes, this is a parody, don't get yer nickers all bunched up lest ye start worrying about too!..[/SIZE] :rofl:
I agree.

oops...I see it was a parody. Never mind.

;)

the fact I can't pass up either an ice cream parlor or snow ball stand qualify me for CBA...hope so...

WOW !!!

I didn’t anticipate so many astute and beneficial responses. Thanks to all of you…especially Odot; although dude, the 80’s are over and Red Bull is the new Cocaine.

I am installing Triple clamp Heli bars and I already have Throttlemeister cruise control. I have a sense that my time on the FJR will be “laid-back" time and I will be able to stop and smell the roses. I am planning a trip next summer to see my youngest son who is a student at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) in Hyde Park, NY. The trip would be a week from Atlanta to NY, a week of cooking classes and great food and wine, and then a week to get home. Can't wait...... Does time on the FJR cause you to lose weight?

Any physical experience is a succession of practice, repetition, and confidence and that is what I will have due to your guidance.

Thank You again.

Brad

I am planning a trip next summer to see my youngest son who is a student at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) in Hyde Park, NY. The trip would be a day from Atlanta to NY, a week of cooking classes and great food and wine, and then a day to get home. Brad
Fixed that for ya. :p

My office is a couple of miles from the CIA. Great food. No, riding the FJR will not compensate for the calories you will consume.

On the long rides of 800 to 1200 miles days I listen to music, play with the V1, XM and GPS. I constantly keep the eyes moving. I scan and try to anticipate every vehicles movement that could have an impact on me. When doing the rallies I'm way to busy to get bored, hell I'm usually lost anyway. The biggest single improvement over the years for LD riding that I've made was to purchase a GoldWing, I can sit on that chair all damn day. :D

Jow much are the dues? Do you get a pin or T-shirt or sumpin'? Sounds like me...

.... Does time on the FJR cause you to lose weight?
No kidding...I lose 20 pounds every riding season. Rather ride than eat...

I learned to pay a lot of attention to when my bike weaves in the lane, my speed creeps up or my field of vision starts to narrow. I have moderate sleep apnea, which means I never know from day to day how much sleep/rest I will get or how refreshed I will be in the am. When the signs happen, I pull over and have some water, munch an energy bar, stretch or nap. Even a 10 minute nap can refresh me for several hours. On a ride last year from Port Angeles to Southern Oregon I felt the signs while riding in pouring rain. I found a place to pull over and put my helmeted head on the tankbag and napped 15 minutes sitting on the bike. I was good to the end of the ride for a couple hundred miles of slab without problem.

Many of the tips I use are mentioned above. But I don't use a throttle lock, because I don't want a device controlling the speed as I can get drowsy relatively quickly. Nothing like waking up going 70 miles an hour on a bike to permanently teach me to pay close attention to my body's messages.

This is also why I tend to be leary of group rides. I don't want to hold others up while I nap 10-20 minutes, or push to keep up when I got a shitty nights sleep. I've been known to postpone a start time/day because I know my body/mind isn't cooperating.

Well managed I can ride very safely, but I'll never be able to be a rally guy, despite my Walter Middy aspirations. I starkly learned this at NAFO last year... but that's another story.

Just for a different ride, you can take your stock seat, shave half the foam off, put the cover back on and ride from Ohio to Cali... I have a short inseam, so the seat needed lowered.

Since all the dense foam is on the top half, which is what is cut off, it's similar to sitting on a hard board..... so you'll not be bored! <LOL>

Of course, I'd never admit I did that in public...

Normally, it takes me 100 miles just to get comfortable for the day.... then I start looking for a place for breakfast, ride some more, look for lunch, eat, check the map and call ahead for a campground or motel, ride some more, look for dinner, ride a bit, stop for the night...

There's always something to look at, other vehicles,. scenery, people.... watching for animals, radar, clouds, flags to see which way the wind's blowing, other vehicles, looking for cool cars, trucks and rv's, places for gas, and little local places to eat...and especially idiots.... lots of those around....

The ONLY time I wished I had a radio was riding across Nebraska... all 455 boring miles of freeway!

Good thing I can play music in my head. Now I have a GPS with XM radio... someday I'll actually use the radio part...<BG>

Not much different than driving cross country.... except for a few minor things like 2 wheels instead of 4... which makes ALL the difference!

Y'all take care and ride safe.

mary

If you find you're getting interested in the LD rides, work your way into it and go for it.

If you like to tweak your bike and get a kick out of it, that's something we all get a joy from.

If it turns out that LD riding is becoming a distraction, work your way along, take notes of things that work or annoy you on your rides, and tune your bike and setup to what works for you.

I had made 3 trips to Daytona Bikweek from Utah and a BMW national in New York before I discovered the IBA. I went to a open house at Salt Lake Motorsports (Ducati dealer) and saw a bike that SUCKED ME IN. After my cross country trips, I saw the setup of that bike and realized I needed a upgrade. Turns out the bike was Gary Eagan's and he showed me all the gizmos and gadgets that he had incorporated into his ride. He also brought up the Utah 1088 and said I should enter. I've since entered 8! And a bunch of other IBA rdes and other endurance rallies including a couple of Iron Butt Rallies.

Back to the subject line-

I guess my mind wanders when I'm typing... :blink:

When I'm riding I'm checking out others on the road- their line, what I think their level of concentration is, who's on the phone, is that trucker drifting because he's tired or talking on the phone? I stay concentrated by looking around. When I get fixed on what's right in front of me, my speed fluctuates, I can't remember the last x minutes, it's time for a break!

I find that my biggest challenge during long rides is dealing with the plethora of CBA riders out there that are constantly pulling over to do stuff like take pictures of wimmims, flowers, etc. Always gettin' in the way. ;)

I find that my biggest challenge during long rides is dealing with the plethora of CBA riders out there that are constantly pulling over to do stuff like take pictures of wimmims, flowers, etc. Always gettin' in the way. ;)
Good one KaitsDad! :rolleyes:

With time, I have aquired all the goodies to make a long ride more enjoyable and downright fun! Custom seat, bar risers, AVCC, GPS, Xm Radio, Bluetooth for the phone, earplugs, full intercomm system and a sexy passenger to rub my back.

With all that, there are still times when you just want to turn it all off and listen to the humm of the engine for a couple hours. Riding is my "ME Time" and it is when I do a lot of thinking. Find what works for you and go with it. Most importantly, know your limits and stop long before you get to them.