How Does The Fjr Compare?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnhunter44

Reaction score
Hello, I live in South Carolina. I presently ride a 2009 BMW K1200LT. Its a great bike, but incredibly top heavy. It weighs in at about 860 lbs and the weight is high. Riding two up, you really got to be careful. I am considering trading it for the R1200RT, but I still do not like the reliability history of the BMW's. Are there many reliability issues on the FJR? Is it top heavy, as well? (5'9" with 30" inseam here) How do the clutches, final drives, fuel pumps, abs brakes, and other main components hold up? Is there much engine heat off the 2010? This kept me from the ST1300, as during summer, I may ride in shorts. My bike is my primary transportation, therefore, it gets used running errands, shopping, etc, so I will jump on the bike as i am dressed. Engine heat is a killer in shorts, and if I need 1/2 gal of milk, I know me and won't put on ATGATT just for an errand. I get no engine heat off my LT, and I love the bike and all of the nice things that it has, but if I loose a clutch, that's about a $2000.00 job. Final drive is about $1500.00. Does anyone have any info about installing a full cruise control on the FJR? Also, how does it compare to the C14 and ST1300? Can anyone comment?

Well for starterss, not gonna get much love for your riding gear, or lack there of...to each his own.

The FJR, is a more spirited bike as is the c14. google search fjrvs.c14/fjrforum, a few discussions there. two different worlds between klt1200 and fjr. definitely the fjr can do everything better and faster, the debate maybe comfort and gadgetry levels. fjr is definitely reliable, very rare to hear of final drives, clutches, going out. Repair is much cheaper, especially since the fjr is owner friendly when it comes to repairs and maintenance.

Don't think it's a fair comparo with the fjr running 200 lbs. less. the errands in shorts, well good luck..heat mgt. is much better on later models, however there is a 1300cc powerplant that does not have plastic molding all around it as the klt...good luck, welcome into the forum.

I owned a K1100RS and moved up to the FJR.

I absolutely did not care for the maintenance issues I had with the Beemer, that's why I sold it.

Jumping to the FJR from the K-bike I felt the FJR was more top heavy, I'm use to that now. Heat issues were similar IMO. Reliability is far superior on my FJR, parts are cheaper too. I don't use my FJR much like a scooter to run to the store for milk or anything. I'm almost always ATGATT.

Bottom line I feel the FJR is much better. Also this forum helps resolve any issues that may arise.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've ridden with buddies that owned the LT. Each has gone to something else. On one trip the LT fell over twice, once parked (downslope).. on one fall it almost ripped off my side case. On another occasion a LT almost fell on my bike as the guy was trying to move backwards out of parking. For me the FJR is ponderous at a stop and yes, top heavy. Once rolling all issues are gone. I'm 5 ft 8. I think if I were 5ft 9 I'd be more comfortable at a stop, in gravel etc. Not a proponent of riding in shorts and I think a LT or FJR is not a very good commuter or errand runner. Buy a FJR save a wad and buy a commuter too. My commuter is the 2008 new generation 250 Kawi Ninjette. Ride it to work almost every day and I find it a hoot on tight twisties. Good luck, Bill

FJR is rock solid on those maintenance parts you mentioned. It is also top heavy. Less than the LT, but still.

Heat issues have been greatly reduced on 06+. But ANY bike is going to give heat with that large a powerplant down there. A good deal of heat issues can be mitigated with proper gear.

IMO you should consider buying a scooter to do those errands - you'll fit right in with the shorts (add some flip flops too - do it right or not at all). Use the big bike for longer runs.

The FJR is almost as reliable as a motorcycle gets (I'd give that nod to Honda's Golwing and ST1300) A few folks have had ground connector problems on late-model FJRs and there was a recall for ignition switches but the actual numbers are, I think, quite small. Compared to BMW's disasterous track record of final drive failures and, on the RT1200RT at least, fuel level sensor failures. A look at www.bmwfinaldrive.com will give you an idea of how bad the final drive issue is (keeping in mind that the list is only those who actually reported the problem to the site - there must be many more)

I was very close to buying a R-RT this fall but just can't spend that kind of money on an unreliable bike. I am very curious what final drive BMW is using on their new 1600cc 4-cylinder motorcycles. They better get it right this time.

I don't think you will find more than a handful of cases where the FJR has left folks stranded by the roadside. And I do think you will find a whole bunch of FJR riders with big grins on their faces.

BTW, I came off a Honda ST13 and I don't find the FJR at all top heavy.

Enjoy the ride!

pete

I test drove the FJR and the ST13 extensively on the same day. Both felt heavy, but they are large bikes. Neither felt any more top heavy that the other. The FJR was a little more sporting. I felt a lot of heat on both (it was a 94 degree day) so I dont know what all the ST guys are bitching about honestly. I thought the FJR put out the same amount of heat while riding.

The FJR won me over with riding position, handling, SWEET motor and steller looks over the Honda. The Honda ST13 felt boring in comparison and looked a bit dated.

I would try to somehow test ride the bikes(Daytona?) you think you are interested in before making a switch. Demo rides at bikeweek have been limited lately. You have already taken the new bike hit on value, your riding a big comfortable bike with all the bells and whistles and may not be happy with a smaller bike? I still own a 97 LT, which is the last smaller size year, weights about the same as the FJR, and has been a good bike, but its very hot, esp. in FL. Two weeks ago while in Europe, I switched rides in N. Italy and rode a R1200RT for a half hour in the switchbacks. Most riders love the RT, but I thought it was like driving a truck with a clunky transmission!!!

Perception is reality. When I took my FJR on a pre-purchase test ride the previous owner cautioned me that it was very top heavy. I thought it felt pretty light & nimble, but my other bike is a true heavyweight at ~800 pounds and I have ridden a bunch of turds in my 40+ years of MC riding. Lots of variables to be considered like the riders weight, height, preferences, mechanical skills, riding style, and relative MC experience. Be aware these factors will impact riding impressions and therefore the feedback you receive.

You say tomato, I say tomato, kinda screws things up when ya read it. Don't it?

JMHO YMMV

I can address the issue of heat and weight on the ST1300 and Gen II FJR as I've had both. The ST actually puts out quite a bit more heat than the FJR, but there are a number of fixes to help deal with it. The stock Gen II FJR is considerably cooler IMHO. The ST1300 was a hot bike, but that was not the main reason I switched to an FJR.

The additional 88 lbs of weight on the ST and and its high center of gravity made the bike pretty challenging for me with a 30" inseam. Stopping on uneven roads, gravel, and pushing it around the garage was tough! (It does have very cool and frequently used tip-over wings though.) Both bikes shed their weight once they're rolling past a few MPH.

Good luck.

Rick

I am also 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I've had both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 FJR, and my current Gen 2 is my main transportation, including what little commuting I do to the office these days (mostly, I'm heading to the airport it seems). The FJR does not feel top heavy to me, and I find it a great do it all bike. I live in the desert southwest, and can't imagine not wearing riding pants,as the tank still gets really warm to the touch.

All I can say is after 3 years and 32,000 miles on my 07 LT, when I totaled it I bought the FJR. Only catch is I have not ridden it as I am not cleared by doctors yet.

I did ride a FJR and a C14 before my accident and I felt better on the FJR. Personal preference.

Why the FJR was a bunch of things but the biggest is reliability from all the accounts I had read. Cost was secondary but a great bonus as I have been able to go ape shit on farkels. I ride in gear so can not answer your heat question, but I did not notice it on the test ride of either bike.

You will give up depending on the year of your LT electric center stand, and of course reverse. To hit the LT trim level you will need to add heated seats which the LT needed new seats so to me not much additional cost if you need them. Unless you buy a '11 you would have to add heated grips. No audio system at all so if you are used to that add it to the list. The real biggie is Cruise Control. Available, but not in factory parts. I have no idea why?

That said the only thing I will miss is the cruise control and a "cheap" fix is a throttle meister which is not CC but a grip lock.

I ride in heated clothing here in PA so heated is not a must for me. The audio I use an I-Pod and blue tooth. Did on the LT too, and if your radio was out on the LT it was 900.00 and they blow all the time.

The center stand and revers were nice. Of the two I used the center stand the most. However the FJR is at least 200+ pounds lighter than the LT and plenty of pre 05 guys throw them up on the stand all the time, so I figure the FJR will be fine.

I loved the LT but would not drink the kool aid again. I wanted a reliable and lighter bike and while a bit long in the tooth as the current LT is, it offers rock steady reliability and performance close to a GT 1300 which it beat a few times in it's day in some motorcycle reviews. Best part is the seating position of the FJR. Well next to the motor, reliability, service, cost, cost of farkels, lighter, and a few more dealers.

Hello, I live in South Carolina. I presently ride a 2009 BMW K1200LT. Its a great bike, but incredibly top heavy. It weighs in at about 860 lbs and the weight is high. Riding two up, you really got to be careful. I am considering trading it for the R1200RT, but I still do not like the reliability history of the BMW's. Are there many reliability issues on the FJR? Is it top heavy, as well? (5'9" with 30" inseam here) How do the clutches, final drives, fuel pumps, abs brakes, and other main components hold up? Is there much engine heat off the 2010? This kept me from the ST1300, as during summer, I may ride in shorts. My bike is my primary transportation, therefore, it gets used running errands, shopping, etc, so I will jump on the bike as i am dressed. Engine heat is a killer in shorts, and if I need 1/2 gal of milk, I know me and won't put on ATGATT just for an errand. I get no engine heat off my LT, and I love the bike and all of the nice things that it has, but if I loose a clutch, that's about a $2000.00 job. Final drive is about $1500.00. Does anyone have any info about installing a full cruise control on the FJR? Also, how does it compare to the C14 and ST1300? Can anyone comment?

I've owned three K1200LTs and still have an 08. Ive also owned an 05 FJR since 2004. I use the LT for most rides 1000 or more miles each way, otherwise I'll take another bike ( FJR or GS most often). I also use the LT for shorter, 2-up riding. I am just over 6' 185lbs, and while my wife is petite, I dont believe we would be anywhere near as comfy on th fjr two up. never even tried it in fact. I am quick to ride the FJR and put on "cheap miles" because the routine service (oil, filter, rear drive fluid) is such a piece of cake I do it myself. I also feel the FJR powertrain is nearly bullet proof, the rear drive is v-max tough and I never give either a thought. Comfort/wind/rain protection of the FJR is better than an LT owner would think, but the FJR is sport tour spec, not full blown tour. I did almost 500 miles saturday in rain on the FJR with no discomfort at all. AND I am no fan of the BMW service needs either, but German biks/car owners MUST be willing to "pay the fiddler" for their vehicles level of performance and efficiency. The K1300GT is 160 hp and the K1300S is 175 hp. Brakes/fluids/and exotic valve trains all want their attention for such performance. On efficiency, my LT has avg'ed 50-51 MPG for the last 12,000 miles....no kidden. FJR, more ponies, but 250 lbs lighter---about 38-40 mpg. AND while I ocasionally think about the LTs clutch & final drive failures, these are very low probability failures. You are under warranty for a while yet, and you have the option to extend coverage if its a big concern. Also, my relationship with bmw dealers has always led me to believe than they/bmw would be there and help with one of the "catastrophic" ( if not low percentage) failures.

Crusie controls---search Audivox 100 and Rostra and Mccruise...there are options out there..$200-900, but installation is not for the feint of mechanical heart. With the FJRs ample power, a throttle lock works for most fjr pilots, even over long distances. Believe me, I love my beemer cruise controls, but the sporty natured FJR will have you twistin the right grip every chance you have.

bottom line.....I view the LT as full blown tour rig, while FJR is my Sport tourer. You can easily "tour" on the FJR and "sport-tour" the LT, but they are designed to two different objectives. If the additional factory heated comfort, electronics, communications, audio and storage are not important to you, the FJR may be your ticket, for the reasons you mention. But if two up comfort and other LT features are critical, I wouldnt give up the LT with out a solid side by side ride with you and your mate. PM or email me if you would like to talk or have other questions.

bob

definatly be careful riding in shorts, for short hops I use a Vespa GTS 250ie, Big enough for me and has room for a six pack under the seat and a bag of groceries hanging from the glovebox. FJR is for the road. I almost bought the Moto Guzzi Norge 1200, didn't like the parts costs, dealer network was small but it was damn sexy as a bike. The FJR feels top heavy, I notice when I have a full tank of gas, yet I am so satisfied with my Gen I FJR despite the drawbacks IMHO, Ugly Mirrors, excess heat on my left leg and limited color choices. But the upside definatly outweighs the downside, Great Price, Easy fixes(I am still learning), Farkles aplenty, vast dealer network and highly reliable.

I've had a V-STrom, ST13, GL1800 before the FJR, and I used to think the V-STrom was top heavy.... not really now. The ST's are definitely heavier up top, especially with a full tank, and now feel underpowered when I ride them. I found the FJR immediately light and flickable, and not really top heavy at all. Easy to service, decent suspension, and I have mine equipped to be a long distance sport tourer (although I avoid slabs if I can). The ST's have heat issues, more noticeable on hot days, whereas the FJR doesn't get hot unless you sit stopped and let the heat build up inside the fairing. Overall, for me the FJR is an excellent bike.

Well, I owned a K1200LT, 2003 model. Loved the bike, loved the features, hated the expense of the maintenance (even when I changed all of the fluids myself). For a bike so big, it handled amazingly well. But, I moved to a state that had no BMW dealer and the closest was nearly 5 hours away. So, we parted ways. By the way, I never dropped it.

From the first time I saw the FJR I wanted one, so I naturally gravitated that way and within days of selling the Beemer, there was a new '08 FJR in the garage. Do I miss some of the luxury features, yes. Would I ever go back, no!!! I absolutely love the FJR. Many on this board consider it heavy, coming from the K1200, it's pretty light to me. Guess it just depends on your perspective. I use the bike for around town errands, local weekend riding and long distance, cross country trips.

I would never tell you what bike is best for you, only you can decide that. But I would not get rid of my FJR for anything.

Keith

Motorcycles are , of course, a personal choice, but you can definately count on the FJR for a great ride and easy maintenance. While I am an AGATT freak, I can suggest the heat shields by COBRA to help with any 'in heavy taffic' heat build up. My feet were getting a bit toasty in traffic when the summer temps arrived and these shields did wonders for that issue.

PS.... we appear to have similar physical attributes and the FJR is very nimble for me!

I'm your size. handled the bike fine but lowered it (kouba links)so my daughter could ride it and found I liked it better.

Bike seems very reliable, 1 fork seal failure at 19,000 miles and one battery replacement.

I added J&M CB/Intercom for about $375 off Ebay and it's performance compares well with the electrics on my GL1500.

Love the electric windsheild, would never buy another tourer or sport tourer without it.

Tried the Honda before I bought the FJR; it was too stodgy for my taste.

Mine is an '05 and it throws considerable heat but here in MN thats almost always a plus.

I have an '08 FJR with Cruise Control (that's the brand name) that I installed myself. It is from Australia, it is fully electronic (on/off, acc/decc, resume, etc), it is very expensive at around $900, and it works great. They sell the wiring loom for your specific bike so all the electrical connections are just right and all the wires are the right length with no need to either bundle and store nor cut to length. I posted a thread here over a year ago with pictures and I am too lazy to find that link again. I also installed the Yamaha OEM heated grips (std for the 2011 model), they work very well., and cost around $300.

My previous bike was an '04 K1200 RS and I just had to have electronic cruise and heated grips. I bought the FJR only after I found that those accessories were available. Both have worked 100% as expected. I got rid of the beemer because of rear seal failure, three times, within a six month period, all repaired by the dealer. I talked to BMW about the issue several times and they consistently told me to go back to the dealer to resolve the issue. When the 3 yr warranty expired, I sold the bike. No such problems with the FJR.

It took me about 5 seconds to see that the FJR was a much easier bike to handle at parking lot speeds, also very easy to make a u turn on a two lane highway. The beemer was top heavy and very difficult to maneuver at parking lot speeds.

My second bike is an '09 Ninja ZX 14, the Concours has a detuned version of this engine. This is an AWESOME engine, it reminds me a lot of my K1200 RS - very smooth, very powerful, lots of fun. Mind you, the FJR is no slouch either, but this Ninja engine impresses me more. I have no personal experience with the Concourse, I don't like the looks. I think the FJR is a great looking bike.

My firmest advice is: don't buy a $14k+ bike without a test ride. All the bikes you are considering are great bikes, but they all have differences that should be sorted out by you during a test ride.