How fast will FJR be going

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Gen I will pull redline in 5th gear when ridden by a professional rider on a closed track ;) My FJR isn't as strong as my V-Max was near redline but it will definitely get there. With the less aggressive over-all gear ratio of the Gen II's perhaps they will not get to red line?
A Gen II at redline in 5th would be going about 170mph*. I think they generally only get up to about 155mph* due to lack of power to overcome air resistance.

*actual speeds; indicated speedo readings may be higher

My Gen I will pull redline in 5th gear when ridden by a professional rider on a closed track ;) My FJR isn't as strong as my V-Max was near redline but it will definitely get there. With the less aggressive over-all gear ratio of the Gen II's perhaps they will not get to red line?
A Gen II at redline in 5th would be going about 170mph*. I think they generally only get up to about 155mph* due to lack of power to overcome air resistance.

*actual speeds; indicated speedo readings may be higher
Now we need to start a new thread.

Fastest speeds 2 up. 126MPH (Canada no less)

I have been an eavesdropper in this forum for several months. I am hoping to replace my 06 Suzuki C50c with an FJR in about a year. Anyways, I was looking at a break-in post and the motoman method was explained. The question I have, is, if you are redlined in 3rd gear, how fast will the bike be going? I am pretty sure it would be exceeding the speed limit in almost every state, but I was just curious by how much.
Thanks for any information that is posted.

I've seen redline (actually rev limiter!) in 5th gear....does this mean I was speeding?
Your bike must have been on a dyno or on its center stand (or maybe spinning the tire on ice?), so I'd have to guess that you weren't anywhere near speeding. Or are you the guy that added NOS to your bike? That might get you closer to redline in 5th.
I've done it, downhill, I-70 at 4 am (not a headlight for 20 mins) with a huge tail wind, just for fun, only once

I got through an entire tank of gas in an hour, the mileage sucks over 130

Last edited by a moderator:
Stupid FNG what did I just do on my last post? Anyhow Changed oil under 50 miles on my last two bikes after following motoman. The 06 Concours showed considerable amount of metal in the oil and my 07 FJR was relatively clean in comparison.

Ok, so this thread led me to finally read the motoman break in procedure. I even went to his little website where he claims that a standard break-in procedure will basically ruin modern engines. I know this has been beaten to death, but I call bullshit. I grew up on a ranch that usually had 4 trucks in service for the ranch. Every one of them went through standard break in, and I remember each one was running strong when something else gave out. A couple of them had over 300,000 miles on them and still ran fine.

Since I bought my bike out of state and had to ride it home, there was no way I could have done the motoman break-in anyway, so basically, everyone who purchaes out of state and rides the bike home is asking for trouble. I again say bullshit. There's no way I'm gonna run a brand new motor up to redline. I think motoman's ring leakage theroy is again, untested bullshit. He says he has done this procedure on 300 motors that ran fine, but I wonder how many of them are still going strong after 100,000 miles and how he would even know.

Do what you want, but experience tells me you should wait until you've done a proper break in to run your bike up to redline in third gear.