How fast will FJR be going

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmanjax

Reaction score
I have been an eavesdropper in this forum for several months. I am hoping to replace my 06 Suzuki C50c with an FJR in about a year. Anyways, I was looking at a break-in post and the motoman method was explained. The question I have, is, if you are redlined in 3rd gear, how fast will the bike be going? I am pretty sure it would be exceeding the speed limit in almost every state, but I was just curious by how much.

Thanks for any information that is posted.

The question I have, is, if you are redlined in 3rd gear, how fast will the bike be going? I am pretty sure it would be exceeding the speed limit in almost every state,
Considering that redline in 1st is faster than the speed limit. I'd say, 'very'. In Ontario, getting pulled over at redline in 3rd would earn you a $10,000 fine and your bike confiscated for a week.

But that doesn't answer your question does it. Just going by guesstimate, I'd say around 90-100 mph.

The question I have, is, if you are redlined in 3rd gear, how fast will the bike be going? I am pretty sure it would be exceeding the speed limit in almost every state,
Considering that redline in 1st is faster than the speed limit. I'd say, 'very'. In Ontario, getting pulled over at redline in 3rd would earn you a $10,000 fine and your bike confiscated for a week.

But that doesn't answer your question does it. Just going by guesstimate, I'd say around 90-100 mph.
It is kinda what I was expecting. I am on a bike now that would be pretty stressed going the speed limit in 3rd. I can't wait to get an FJR.

Yes, it was a problem coming home from the dealership last year. I only had one real opening up opportunity and when I pulled up to a stop light the guy behind me was very interested what kind of bike I had. I still worked the throttle a bit but I consider mine a "modified break in". I just don't see how many people can do it properly unless they truck their new bike some distance from their home so one doesn't exceed 25 miles from the dealership.

Anyway, I do believe the concept behind the Motoman break in and would think that any bike that goes through it would work better but I really think engines are so well designed today that it probably doesn't matter too much. I think the most important thing is putting it under some stress initially and then changing the oil and filter to remove any minor particles then put that new juice in and go on your way.

I'm not a mechanic or an expert of any kind. Just someone with a healthy amount of common sense. Good luck when you finally buy yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim would say "just fucking ride it" at least thats what he told me.

:****: :****: :****: :****: Hugs and kisses.

R

Tim would say "just fucking ride it" at least thats what he told me.
:****: :****: :****: :****: Hugs and kisses.

R
Yep! I did the motoman on my first FJR and did the factory recommended break in on the second. I don't notice any difference but one mechanic told me my current ride is one of the strongest FJRs he's ridden. Could be smoke, could be true, I just ride it.

Mph per 1000rmp:

1st = 6,73

2nd = 9,60

3rd = 12,63

4th = 15,80

5th= 18,32

6th = missing :rolling eyes:

rpm goes into the red at 9000

hard limit set to 10.500 rpm's

Mach .153or

0.0000176% Light speed.

Pick your units.
Could you give that to me in rods per parsec?

--- edit ---

Oops; both are distance units; that won't work. Let's try rods per microcentury :)

<snip>...Anyway, I do believe the concept behind the Motoman break in and would think that any bike that goes through it would work better but I really think engines are so well designed today that it probably doesn't matter too much. I think the most important thing is putting it under some stress initially and then changing the oil and filter to remove any minor particles then put that new juice in and go on your way. I'm not a mechanic or an expert of any kind. Just someone with a healthy amount of common sense. Good luck ...
I don't think luck has much to do with anything -- nor does 'conventional wisdom'....? :unsure:

Engines are mechanical devices that are unfamiliar with how the rider feels about them....

Any definitive answers would require quantatative analysis: double-blind (ASTM) testing, oil analysis, dyno runs, engine/s dis-assembly with parts measurement/s, etc. -- to prove the merits for/against either/any method.

Lacking the above; if it feels good to you? -- then it's the right way..... :rolleyes:

I have been an eavesdropper in this forum for several months. I am hoping to replace my 06 Suzuki C50c with an FJR in about a year. Anyways, I was looking at a break-in post and the motoman method was explained. The question I have, is, if you are redlined in 3rd gear, how fast will the bike be going? I am pretty sure it would be exceeding the speed limit in almost every state, but I was just curious by how much.

I've seen redline (actually rev limiter!) in 5th gear....does this mean I was speeding?

I've seen redline (actually rev limiter!) in 5th gear....does this mean I was speeding?
Your bike must have been on a dyno or on its center stand (or maybe spinning the tire on ice?), so I'd have to guess that you weren't anywhere near speeding. Or are you the guy that added NOS to your bike? That might get you closer to redline in 5th.

Your bike must have been on a dyno or on its center stand (or maybe spinning the tire on ice?), so I'd have to guess that you weren't anywhere near speeding. Or are you the guy that added NOS to your bike? That might get you closer to redline in 5th.
I've done it, downhill, I-70 at 4 am (not a headlight for 20 mins) with a huge tail wind, just for fun, only once

I got through an entire tank of gas in an hour, the mileage sucks over 130

My Gen I will pull redline in 5th gear when ridden by a professional rider on a closed track ;) My FJR isn't as strong as my V-Max was near redline but it will definitely get there. With the less aggressive over-all gear ratio of the Gen II's perhaps they will not get to red line?