How healthy is riding an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's really just simple math. You burn more than you take in. You can either eat better, or exercise more, or both.
Not that I am an expert, far from that. But if you just eat "better" it is really hard to lose weight. As your caloric intake drops, your resting metabolism has a tendency to drop away with it. Which then means that you'll have to eat even fewer calories to make any ground. It is much easier (IMO) to lose girth by increasing your activity level, and calories burned.

Now if this damn cold and snow would go away so I can get back to running at lunch time...

Now if this damn cold and snow would go away so I can get back to running at lunch time...
I have always wondered how people run at lunch time, and then go back to work. Unless you have a shower at work, that just seems a little gross.

I think I burned 400 calories just reading this thread.....and I know my heart rate goes up just walking into the garage and looking at my FJR.

But very cool with all the techy things. I know I need to exersise more.......

KM

It's really just simple math. You burn more than you take in. You can either eat better, or exercise more, or both.
Not that I am an expert, far from that. But if you just eat "better" it is really hard to lose weight. As your caloric intake drops, your resting metabolism has a tendency to drop away with it. Which then means that you'll have to eat even fewer calories to make any ground. It is much easier (IMO) to lose girth by increasing your activity level, and calories burned.
Blind Squirrel actually has it right. Exercise alone will rarely work. Diet alone can work, but it is not enough to improve your health. To lose weight, the experts say diet is key. To keep that weight off and increase your health, exercise and diet are key.

Khawuna, I know you're just being a smart ass, but I was pretty fascinated to read some emperical studies lately that demonstrated that when you actually track and monitor the data of what you do and consume, your chances of success increase dramatically. Primarily because you become hyper-aware, and mostly because you can more easily draw a direct connection b/t your activity and the results of that activity.

Here's another fascinating study that compelled me to make this post: when you make others aware of your goals,even better -- when you devise a result that makes you lose something of value if you fail, your chances of success increase dramatically. The best example was to post some money that your colleagues could donate to their charity of choice (something you hated for example) if you failed to meet your goal.

I apologize for being an ass. My wife is often pointing this out! :(
I thought I was a leg man until my wife kept saying, "Mike...you are an ass - mannnnnnn !!!
Yeah, I "think" you got my wife figured out in a nut shell there, Mike.

I also used to be a leg man, but my wife has lost over 40 lbs. so now her legs are even longer!

I on the other hand, have personally tanked on this one, but I can still smell those flowers! :D

Good info...I thought.

Me: Hey honey, do you love me?

Her: of course.

Me: Do you want me to live a long time?

Her: of course.

Me: Look what I can do if I buy an FJR (show her this)

Her: ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Blind Squirrel actually has it right. Exercise alone will rarely work.
That hasn't been my experience over the years. As has been noted, the key to this approach is to not increase your food intake just because you are exercising. That isn't the same thing as dieting.

Of course if you were previously in the habit of being a glutton, then all bets are off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of useful, and some humorous, info in this thread. That watch is REALLY cool - however, I think its calorie count for riding motorcycles is off. Its basing calories burned on the data its getting from your heart rate, but normally when your heart rate goes up its because it needs to work to supply fuel and oxygen to other muscles which are also working (like your legs if you were bicycling or running or hiking). In the case of riding a motorcycle, those other muscles (with perhaps the exception of your sphincter) aren't burning calories, just your heart is. Your heart is indeed burning more then it would at your BMR (basic metabolic rate, ie. resting) so there is _some_ caloric benefit, but... The watch knows you are not doing one of those, which is good or you would get a really false reading as was previously pointed out, but I still think its reading high in terms of calories burned.

As someone who has lost almost 40 pounds (was 210-212, now 172-174) I can say that I was heavy when I exercised, and that diet alone does lower your metabolic rate. While you *can* lose weight using just one or the other, your will be more successful if you can incorporate both - and the best thing is to start tracking it all, because you will be amazed and just what we shove in our mouths (hence why exercise alone usually doesn't work - you work out, you get hungry and you eat, and you have a weight issue already, which means you usually eat too much, which will undo all the exercise).

I'm pretty much done with all the performance farkles to make the FJR perform better. All except one: weight. The cheapest farkle is losing weight, and taking off +30 lbs is my goal. Piefart is probably responsible for at least 10 of those lbs, what with his breakfast runs and pie. So I resolved this year to lose some of the added weight in my midsection, and get back to my fighting weight. I bought a road bike (the pedaling kind), and a close friend set me up with a high tech Garmin 310XT and scale. Totally cool. It would be awesome to have this data on the track, to be able to calculate your exit speeds as the course and elevation changes.

I'll be wearing this the next time Auburn and I do some single track trails on dirt bikes, where I expect to burn the same amount of calories but in less than an hour.

Hudson...that's really sharp. I just looked into this after you posted it...not an inexpensive farkle but nice none the less.

I was reading about the various watches on the Garmin site and it appeared that the watch needed to have a line of siight to the sky. Does your watch get covered by any type of jacket?

... was reading about the various watches on the Garmin site and it appeared that the watch needed to have a line of siight to the sky. Does your watch get covered by any type of jacket?
Unless the jacket is made of conducting material (metal or possibly carbon fibre or Kevlar???) it won't matter about a jacket. It's radio frequencies, not light, that the watch has to "see".