How low can you go...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afterburn

Modding Mechanic
Reaction score
Just came across this pic on a site.

fjrplat.jpg

I don't think there is much room left. :) :drinks: :eek:mg2:

Hey, where's the next pic that shows him crashing, like the recent Harley squid? It looks like that is what he's trying to do with that body position, pushing the bike into the ground. He must have borrowed a buddy's bike or something.

Actually he's not crashing and he is a Police instructor, on his own bike, doing some advanced rider training.

Actually he's not crashing and he is a Police instructor, on his own bike, doing some advanced rider training.
...as stated above, with that body position what is he trying to instruct? Improper cornering tecnique? I would guess the next frame of this particular photo would involve a lowside.

He still has a few more degrees of lean left in reserve. It looks like that's the peg feelers sparking, next would be the brake pedal, then the muffler. I've seen a few bikes with not much of a brake pedal left.. but your right, he's has bad body technique!!

He does almost look like he's leaning toward the outside, causing the bike to lean more.
That's exactly what he's doing. The shoulders should always be lower than the triple clamps when attempting a curve at speed.

Hey Afterburn,

Do I know you from VFRD?? I love that site and this one is a great one too.

Anyway, man that guy is getting the FJR DOWN!!! Wish I could get my VFR down that far- I'm trying and am getting close but it's just one step at a time :D

Take care,

VFRMike.

I Wish I could get my VFR down that far- I'm trying and am getting close but it's just one step at a time :D
It may not be wise to go fast enough on the street to drag the hard parts on a VFR. Not a problem doing it on the Feejer though.

Hey Afterburn,
Do I know you from VFRD?? I love that site and this one is a great one too.

Anyway, man that guy is getting the FJR DOWN!!! Wish I could get my VFR down that far- I'm trying and am getting close but it's just one step at a time :D

Take care,

VFRMike.
Yes you do. :) I can get my VFR further down, without dragging hard parts. Then again, it's not as comfy as the FJR.

What a poser! Most people lean IN to the turn to avoid that. I think this guy was just looking to make sparks.

MIke

He might be doing that on purpose, perhaps to demonstrate the results of bad body position or just to make sparks at that particular speed.

OR he might be a :asshat:

or it could be Bush's fault. :p

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, it looks like he is demonstrating maximum lean angle rather than maximum speed through the curve. I sometimes catch myself leaning like this in a curve, and other times, when I'm feeling energetic, I move to the low side of the seat on each curve and lean down a bit. All depends on my mood and how much I am focused on technique.