How many gallons of gas will it take to fill up when the gas gauge starts flashing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rider47

Reaction score
On my 2008 FJR, when the first bar on the fuel guage starts flashing, I can fill up with about five gallons. Are there really 1.6 gallons left in the tank or is it less because the tank can't be fillled to a full 6.6 gallons? Thanks.

Same here on my 1st gen. Flashing starts at ~5 gallon fill.

At the same time that the 1st bar starts flashing, the trip-meter switches into a "countdown" mode. I generally consider that I have ~40-50 miles left before I really need to fill up. I like to shoot at leaving at least a half gallon in the tank in case the GPS brings me to a station that is not in business anymore.

I have put in 6.60 gallons in on a couple of occasions and 6.50 on several more.

Sheesh! Quit being such weenies! :p Go RIDE that FJR and take it into reserve a ways. Find out FOR YOURSELF how you machine acts. Get to know it's characteristics. So when it IS critical, you know what you are dealing with.

BTW, stop-n-go riding or a left crosswind will make your gauge start 'flashing' earlier than steady speed riding (like down the interstate). So how many miles you can travel while in 'reserve' can depend on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have put in 6.60 gallons in on a couple of occasions and 6.50 on several more.

Sheesh! Quit being such weenies! :p Go RIDE that FJR and take it into reserve a ways. Find out FOR YOURSELF how you machine acts. Get to know it's characteristics. So when it IS critical, you know what you are dealing with.

BTW, stop-n-go riding or a left crosswind will make your gauge start 'flashing' earlier than steady speed riding (like down the interstate). So how many miles you can travel while in 'reserve' can depend on that.
Yeah, and if you become a real man, you roll up with steel showing around the rear tire at the same time you pump 6.50 gallons of gas!

:)

Yeah, and if you become a real man, you roll up with steel showing around the rear tire at the same time you pump 6.50 gallons of gas!

:)
F'ing A!!!!!!

Great minds think alike!

:lol:

My 95 Connie held over 7 gallons and when the needle was well into the E it would only take 4 ish gallons. I thought my gauge was reading wrong,but kaw told me that was normal. I never ran out of gas. If you run out of gas on a FJR with fuel injection well it F it up. And what is the best way to start it after filling it up after running competely out.

If you run out of gas on a FJR with fuel injection well it F it up. And what is the best way to start it after filling it up after running competely out.
I think you were trying to say that if you run out of gas with fuel injection, it will mess it up?

Why?

And if you do run out, fill tank, crank starter. It's that simple.

BTW, twice I have kinda-sorta run out of gas. Both times the engine started cutting out. The worse time, the engine was dying. After coasting and coming to a stop, I would slosh the tank around while cranking, it would start again, and I would get about a 1/4 mile before it would die again. After several of these cycles, I was able to get to the gas station I was heading for.

Oh, and your old Connie? Even though they claimed 7.5 gallon tank, there were only 7.0 usable gallons in that bike. Don't ask me how I know. :blink:

So.....if you are only filling it with 5 gallons that means you have 40-60 miles left in the gas tank once the reserve light begins to flash.

Unlike Skooter, I've only run mine 30 -40 miles on reserve. I don't do it regularly because the gasoline in the tank is the coolant and lubricant for the pump but I'll do it if, and have done it when necessary.

If you run out of gas on a FJR with fuel injection will it F it up? And what is the best way to start it after filling it up after running competely out.[SIZE=8pt]edited[/SIZE]
There are some who have run theirs empty. If you turn the key on and wait for the pump to stop, then cycle it again, it should pressurize the fuel rail so the bike will start. IIRC, there is a difference in the injection lines between the Gen I and Gen II bikes. I 'think" the Gen II bikes have a circulating system (return line to the tank) so there should be no issue if they are run empty.

BUT I'm not an engineer nor have I ever played one on stage or in film.

My '06 has a 1.25 gallon reserve, my '05 had 1.5 gallon reserve. Found out the hard way the '06 was less than the '05 the first day out riding across I-40 east from Albuquerque, almost made it to TX. About 5 miles short.

Knock on wood, that is the only time I have run out of gas on one of these. I routinely run pretty close just trying to get three days commuting on one fill up.

The volume of the reserve can vary for each bike depending on how the float level is set in the tank. There have been threads on that in the past.

Brian

I was not trying to say if you run out of gas it well mess up the injection system up. I was simply asking the question if you do, well it skrew stuff up and what. And what is the best method of starting it after it happens.

I try to get about 250 to 270 miles from a tank of gas. That usually gets me over 6 gallions at fill-up. The most was 6.3 and my wife was pissed that I ran it so long with her on the back. We ended up in Mass filling up. :yahoo:

I was not trying to say if you run out of gas it well mess up the injection system up. I was simply asking the question if you do, well it skrew stuff up and what. And what is the best method of starting it after it happens.
No harm at all. Fill it up, then crank it till it starts. No big deal.

You may be thinking about diesel engines. If you run a diesel out of fuel you'll have to have the system purged before it will run again. Our bikes aren't diesel, though, so it doesn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

You may be thinking about diesel engines. If you run a diesel out of fuel you'll have to have the system purged before it will run again. Our bikes aren't diesel, though, so it doesn't matter.
I thought I answered the question...... :unsure:

I can specifically tell you how much fuel the bike will take when ran dry and what will happen when you run out of fuel traveling about 65-75 mph.

First your bike cuts out and then 10 seconds later it quits...pull in the clutch and then shake the bike and it will fire back up and you will travel about another mile till it dies again. Repeat clutch/shake procedcure and the bike will fire back up and travel another half mile or so while you run 2 red lights and pull into a gas station and then it will die with just enough speed to coast to the pump! Actually happened on the return trip in the rain from SFO. Bike took 6.35 gallons on side stand. No problems whatsoever starting back up.

I am believing the bike gods were looking out for me since we road for 3 days in the rain at SFO!

Ride safe and don't push your luck with the reserve light.

I thought I answered the question...... :unsure:
You did, but it looked like he asked it again. Maybe he was just pointing out that he asked it. English is such a confusing language.

:blink: