How many use cruise above 80 mph?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beary

Reaction score
Yes, I'm looking to get a cruise control for my Kawasaki Concours, IT'S CALLED an FJR. lol

I know, I know but I'm trying to determine if I should grab a good deal on a 2013, or start with the 14s. I will grab a 2015 if I find one under $10,000.

But getting back to the question, I have used my Harley cruise between 75 to 80mph. Not above 80 mph that I can recall because that was a bit much for my 96 twincam back then. I might have used the cruise on the Concours above 80mph, IF THEY HAD ONE. But they don't and I do miss my old FJR.

So, how often has anyone here used their cruise above 80mph?

Thanks

Beary

Which Councourse? If the air-cooled one from yesteryear, I would imagine you had it over 80 far less than if you had a modern C14. If the C14--then how much of the time did you take it above 80 mph and wish you had a cruise control on it?

That would be your answer as an FJR is going to be in the same league.

I've used my cruise above 80 a relatively small number of initiations, but for many, many hours in certain parts of the West. Even wished it didn't have a limit..... I love it! In fact, one reason I skipped '13's was because of the cruise limitation and the ES option also came a year later.

I'd go with a '14-current ES personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any speed over 80ish I want to be in control. Had my 06 wing at 110 on cruise and it was spooky for me.

I do all the time; speed limit on freeways here is 80, so I'm usually set around 86, but without a low-traffic divided road I probably never would.

I had an old (water-cooled) Connie C10, and they would run 5k rpm @ 80... so no cruise control (maybe a throttle lock for resting my right hand).

The newer Connie C14 is much faster, smoother, and FI so I would love them to get the CC and you would love it on the 80+ highways.

My '13 FJR is limited to 80 and I'm ok w/ it ... until I head out west. Then I wish for the '14 or '15 to get up to 100 (or buy a newer ECU for $600).

If I was shopping I would get the 14, 15 or 16 ... or get a really good deal on a 2013. YMMV

Yes, I'm looking to get a cruise control for my Kawasaki Concours, IT'S CALLED an FJR. lol
I know, I know but I'm trying to determine if I should grab a good deal on a 2013, or start with the 14s. I will grab a 2015 if I find one under $10,000.

But getting back to the question, I have used my Harley cruise between 75 to 80mph. Not above 80 mph that I can recall because that was a bit much for my 96 twincam back then. I might have used the cruise on the Concours above 80mph, IF THEY HAD ONE. But they don't and I do miss my old FJR.

So, how often has anyone here used their cruise above 80mph?

Thanks

Beary
I traded my 13 for a pretty red 14 mainly because of the cruise control limit and that pretty red expensive paint.

I use cruise more for convenience for LD and for being able to take my hand off the throttle to tweak, type, and adjust stuff. I like, and theoretically have used, cruise above 80, on a closed track, in a simulator, but I just would not consider cruise control that maxed at 80 any sort of a deal breaker. Just me. I never, ever missed having cruise on my RT. But if memory serves, it didn't take as much effort to twist the throttle, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which Councourse? If the air-cooled one from yesteryear, I would imagine you had it over 80 far less than if you had a modern C14. If the C14--then how much of the time did you take it above 80 mph and wish you had a cruise control on it?
That would be your answer as an FJR is going to be in the same league.

I've used my cruise above 80 a relatively small number of initiations, but for many, many hours in certain parts of the West. Even wished it didn't have a limit..... I love it! In fact, one reason I skipped '13's was because of the cruise limitation and the ES option also came a year later.

I'd go with a '14-current ES personally.
There never was an "air cooled" Concours, all liquid cooled.

Dan

When travelling across Nevada I set my cruise at 90mph from the California border to the Utah border (pretty much). It sure shortens the grind through the moonscape. I have a '14 so 100mph cruise limit comes with the deal but to me it isn't that essential. Actually other things may be more important in determining what year to consider such as color and ES vs. A ('14 and newer).

Dan

I had a 13A and currently have a 14ES. I have run the 14ES above 80mph on CC about 10 seconds longer than I ran the 13A above 80 mph on CC. Maybe that will change in 2017 but I kind of doubt it.

There never was an "air cooled" Concours, all liquid cooled.
Dan
Sorry. I assumed it was and thought the old one was a cool bike back even in the 80's. I'll have to figure out a better moniker for the earlier generation.

Beary
I traded my 13 for a pretty red 14 mainly because of the cruise control limit and that pretty red expensive paint.
Ill take my 09 c14 red over the 14 plastic fjr red any day of the week,!

I came from a hopped up 09 abs red c14, flash, pipe, Laam seat, traxxion ak 20, Penske 8983. Put 90k miles on it in 6 years.

Bought a fjr 16es, not sure i made a good choice or not. I put 6k miles in 2 months on it last fall.

Since the posted limits in some parts of my state and other states can be 80 to 85, a +3 can help from being pressed from behind by other traffic.

I had a couple of Wings before the FJR. My FJR doesn't have cruise but I ran into serious issues when posted limits were 70 to 70 and the max cc was 78. I was able to switch pins so the ECU (reading the gear indicator) that 4th and 5th were swapped so that the RPM-based cruise would then lock in at 102. I seldom needed that but the buffer gave me the option if I ever did.

I have on occasion. Around here speed limits are usually 70 but once in a while I'll set it at 85 when roads are wide open.

I very seldom are on road where i would use cruise above 80 so even though I have a '14 I could live with a '13 if it were an ES. It is worth it to me to not newer for the ES.

The 80 mph CC wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me if a nicely priced '13 had come along before I stole purchased my '15. For me, 75-80 mph on CC is about the limit...

YMMV

--G

I have owned my 13 for almost 3 years and logged about 91K with the 80mph cruise limit. Overall I did not miss higher limits. I kept rationalizing that it kept me in check. The were only a few times I really wished I had a higher limit...Out west in ND/SD/MO and riding locally with my buddy Deagle.

Be forewarned if you have a local riding buddy with a later Gen 3, they know the limitations of the 13. There is a good chance that they will take the lead, set their cruise at 83MPH and ride with their right middle finger flowing in in the wind for you to see.

It's not the end of the world but the fix is easy. Keep an eye on ebay for a 14/15 FJR A ecu. I scored one for $80 last summer and it was a 10 min plug and play. Works perfect and increase the cruise limit. Alternative you could pay $500 OEM prices if it is that much of an issue for you.