How many use cruise above 80 mph?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speed alone is no big deal. It's using too much speed for conditions that'll get you in trouble. 90 mph on cruise control on an interstate with light traffic may be just fine and not very dangerous at all. 45 mph in stop-and-go rush hour traffic could be seriously goofy. Crashing at high speed obviously is more hazardous than crashing at slower speeds; it's just not as likely to happen.

jammess posted: Thank God I live in Oregon where sanity still exists somewhat as in 55 mph on secondary roads west of the Cascades with 65 to 70 mph on interstates. 80 mph is ridiculous in a car much less a motorcycle. When I lived in eastern Oregon I hated to travel into Idaho (Idachoke) near Boise with their ridiculous speed limits.
Thank God you live in Oregon and cannot mess with my Atlanta speed limits.

Peak hour speed limit? As fast as bumper-to-bumper traffic will allow. Off-peak? As fast as you feel comfortable. My FJR cruise is usually set on 80 mph on or inside the Perimeter (I-285), sometimes faster in the HOV lanes where motorbikes ride for free.

Atlanta drivers are pretty skilled. We brake gently, accelerate gently, and usually signal our lane changes. It's the out-of-towners and the 'amateurs' that are dangerous, because they do the crazy shit that no one's expecting.

HEY, Beary ... I did NOT buy a 2014 because it's UGa red and I'm a proud Georgia Tech alumnus. Gold brake levers and pinstriping on my Liquid Graphite bike - along with an appropriate Yellow Jacket sticker - make my bike the BOMB.

<edit, 10 mins later> ... and, jamess, I'll bet you have drivers high on pot at all times of day, not just on Saturday night. You can probably ID the really high ones because they'll be driving 35 mph in a 55 mph zone.

And, lastly, thanks for reminding me that Oregon is still blanked-out on my "visited states" map. Gotta do something about that next summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of places do 95 mph. Lots of places do bumber-to-bumber. Only only on Atlanta's 285 do they do both at the same time.

To say it was "exhilarating" would be putting it mildly. Cars 6" off your bumper and if you aren't doing over 90 in the wall lane you better be ready for someone to push you (literally) to go faster (if in a car). On a bike you will wonder if they are planning to push you.

Ask a local what the unwritten speeds are for each lane on the interstates before jumping into the pool and ending up mopped up with a sponge.

The trade off is NO ONE is on their phones, reading books, eating cereal, or anything other than driving.

The speed limits on a lot of Oregon roads have been raised. Hwy 97 is now 65 and most days traffic runs 75+. Much more enjoyable.

Well, sounds like Georgia, especially Atlanta, is a good place to stay away from. Thanks for the heads up Bounce.
Not at all. A group of six of us headed over to The Varsity from Marietta for some dogs and an orange. Our leader was from the area and knew his way around. The ride was unique and not one to pass up. Keep in mind "group" is a loose term when on the 285. You tend to keep the helmets of the other riders in view across the tops of cars and NEVER try to force everyone into a clump because of traffic conditions.

The lead was in the Wall lane and I was behind him about a bike's length and 1 lane right. We were both doing around 95 (in a posted 55) just to maintain traffic flow. I looked over and cars were on everyone's back by about 6" (yes double, not single quotes there).

If everyone everywhere else drove with that level of focus, we'd all be safer. Widen the gaps and lower the speeds but keep that focus. It's a pipe dream. Meanwhile I keep my hopes alive for lane splitting and the abolishment of left lane hogs.

Of special note is that they do this every day and they don't all spontaneously die otherwise the roads wouldn't have as much traffic. It's not the speed that kills. It's speeds over someone's skill level or inappropriate for conditions that MAY.

Morning Spud, You most definitely belong in SE Idaho no doubt about it, enjoy.

Ray, I'm aware speed limits on some secondary roads have been increased to 65 east of the hump (Cascades) and that's a good thing. US97 has long been one of my favorites. Whenever I go for a ride of more than 60 miles I always head east. Used to live over in Baker City but wife likes the coast. What can you do? Hey, if you've never taken SR3 fron Enterprise, OR to Clarkston, WA you should give it a go. My favorite ride in the PNW or anywhere for that matter. Oh, when you're rolling along at 90 watch out for the the 4 legged critters with horns over there.

Morning Bounce, About all I can say is if I were so unfortunate to live in an area where people do 90 mph while on each others bumpers I would definitely have a couple motorcycles up for sale as in right NOW! I do not have a death wish. Actually I'm kind of beginning to give this some thought anyway. At the tender age of 73 time to ride is growing short, just how it is. I think people are becoming more aggressive in their driving habits everywhere which for me subtracts from the fun I've had on two wheels for some 46 years. As one ages one's reaction time slows which when you're young you tend to think will never happen to you but guess what....such is life. What you describe is to me just plain scary. I mean a clogged up freeway with everyone ripping along at 95 and all hyped up just does not sound at all enticing but that's just me. In the seventies I lived in Montana where at that time there were no daytime speed limits. One sunny day I was ripping along going over the Bozeman pass on I90 at about 105 on my R75/7 and flew by a cop that had a truck stopped. About 5 minutes later I see in the mirror these flashing blue lights coming on fast. Long and short is i got chewed out for having no respect for the law and was presented with a 5 dollar ticket. Ahhhhh, those were the days.
rolleyes.gif

Top 5 interstates for most fatal accidents per mile in 2013

1. I-285 in Georgia
  2. I-710 in California
  3. I-240 in Oklahoma
  4. I-495 in Delaware
  5. I-240 in Tennessee
Read more information and find a complete list of deadliest interstates in the U.S. here.

Georgia is the seventh-worst state in the country for fatal car accidents in total (1,085 incidents in 2013). Texas ranked no. 1, with 3,044 deaths from car accidents in 2013.

I-285 has been the scene for several high-profile deaths this year.

In January, a 53-year-old woman was struck by multiple vehicles and killed while walking across I-285 westbound. Two weeks later, a 28-year-old man was fatally struck by a car after pulling over in the emergency lane and walking across the interstate.

Hi guys. Here is some light reading for you and pretty well says it all.
smile.png
It also appears the stats for Georgia and the 285 haven't improved for 2016. Ain't it great? Don't believe me just google I285 for accidents. Ninety miles per hour on a motorcycle in bumper to bumper traffic. I gotta tell you Bounce I kind of wonder about your sanity, I really do. That's a nice way of saying I think you're kind of an air head. I mean no offense but what else can explain that kind of death wish behavior. Oh, and thank god I don't have to share the road with you or others like you....most of the time.

I and a buddy rode into Washington DC a few years back, and traffic was like that. I think we were on I-66 -- 2 lanes in both directions -- and traffic was rolling along at 90 or so without room for a motorcycle to change lanes between them. Oddly, though, I could signal and head check, and more often than not, the person in that spot would back off and make a hole. Sometimes they'd even flash their lights. Drivers were fast, insanely close compared to what I was used to, but courteous. It was kind of weird. Drivers in other parts of the country will fight tooth and nail to keep you from getting in front of them even though they're going slower.

Afternoon Old Guy, I could never ride a motorcycle in conditions like that. I'm not a slow rider by any means but I purposely avoid traffic congestion. I like long lonesome roads. Also, I've never lived in densely populated areas and have no desire to ever do so. I'm used to doing 300 to 600 mile days although as the years pile up I find those 300 miles days becoming more frequent than not. I just can't understand how anyone can possibly enjoy riding or driving at 90+ mph bumper to bumper. I hope to never be in a situation where I find myself in conditions like that. Never owned a motorcycle with cruise control and probably never will as I'm not going to ever buy another motorcycle again as the two I have will last me through the end of my riding days. I do have a Go Cruise which is not bad for a throttle stop type cruise control which I use now and then to rest my right hand.

I guess the long and short is you do your own thing and that's great but to say that high speed congested driving keeps you safer because you are hyped on an adrenalin rush is one crock of BS if ever I heard one. Needless to say I shan't ever experience the joys of riding I-285 in this lifetime. Actually been to Atlanta once about 20 years ago. Took a one month trip to Ireland and on the return experienced the joy of changing planes at the Atlanta airport and that was enough of Atlanta for me.

Hey Old Guy, You're right about drivers trying to keep you from getting in front of them. Oregon is famous for that especially when it comes to folks with out of state plates as in California. I typically will slow down when one of these guys from the golden state gets behind me on my bumper and then speed up on a straight away. A Mustang GT/CS with 412HP and Borla attack exhaust system just for effect helps with that. Point is I don't like tailgating. I don't do this on a motorcycle though as my mother didn't raise a complete idiot.

I have been through Atlanta on the bike and did not enjoy it! I don't mind riding fast as long as I am in a situation where it is only my fault if I get smeared! Fine for wide open spaces but I don't have sufficient faith in my fellow drivers to feel comfortable in high speed bumper-to-bumper. Sometimes there is no choice but I will take the long way around if it is at all possible to avoid this scenario.

My mother did raise a complete idiot but that is my brother, not me.

I have been through Atlanta on the bike and did not enjoy it! I don't mind riding fast as long as I am in a situation where it is only my fault if I get smeared! Fine for wide open spaces but I don't have sufficient faith in my fellow drivers to feel comfortable in high speed bumper-to-bumper. Sometimes there is no choice but I will take the long way around if it is at all possible to avoid this scenario.
My mother did raise a complete idiot but that is my brother, not me.
+1
smile.png

Afternoon Old Guy, I could never ride a motorcycle in conditions like that. I'm not a slow rider by any means but I purposely avoid traffic congestion. I like long lonesome roads. Also, I've never lived in densely populated areas and have no desire to ever do so. I'm used to doing 300 to 600 mile days although as the years pile up I find those 300 miles days becoming more frequent than not. I just can't understand how anyone can possibly enjoy riding or driving at 90+ mph bumper to bumper. I hope to never be in a situation where I find myself in conditions like that. Never owned a motorcycle with cruise control and probably never will as I'm not going to ever buy another motorcycle again as the two I have will last me through the end of my riding days. I do have a Go Cruise which is not bad for a throttle stop type cruise control which I use now and then to rest my right hand.
I guess the long and short is you do your own thing and that's great but to say that high speed congested driving keeps you safer because you are hyped on an adrenalin rush is one crock of BS if ever I heard one. Needless to say I shan't ever experience the joys of riding I-285 in this lifetime. Actually been to Atlanta once about 20 years ago. Took a one month trip to Ireland and on the return experienced the joy of changing planes at the Atlanta airport and that was enough of Atlanta for me.

Hey Old Guy, You're right about drivers trying to keep you from getting in front of them. Oregon is famous for that especially when it comes to folks with out of state plates as in California. I typically will slow down when one of these guys from the golden state gets behind me on my bumper and then speed up on a straight away. A Mustang GT/CS with 412HP and Borla attack exhaust system just for effect helps with that. Point is I don't like tailgating. I don't do this on a motorcycle though as my mother didn't raise a complete idiot.
I don't like that kind of traffic, but I'll deal with it if necessary to get where I'm going. Generally speaking, if I'm not in a hurry, I'll ride back roads and avoid the interstates. I rode to Nova Scotia last year and just told the GPS to take crooked roads. That was an enjoyable trip, but it sure took a long time to get there
lol_zpsfd3ahpbp.gif

Tailgaters irritate the heck out of me too. My wife and I have a 30' RV, and people will tailgate us like crazy on a 2-lane but then won't pass when it's perfectly legal and safe. What the ****?

Afternoon Old Guy, I could never ride a motorcycle in conditions like that. I
I just can't understand how anyone can possibly enjoy riding or driving at 90+ mph bumper to bumper.
I'm not sure "enjoy" was a word I used about 285. Unique? Certainly. Educational about how drivers who focus on driving can "do better? Definitely. I've not done it again but it was educational and I learned why my carpooler's co-worker found himself being pushed (yes, bumper-pushed by the car behind him) when doing 65 in the wall lane in his rental car the year before.

I'd compare it to traveling the length of SD's I90 (e to w) one day. For the whole day, for as far as you could see (and that was a looong way) no drivers hogged the left lane. Even as little specs in the distance I'd see them move left, then move right again (assuming that was after the pass). Good traffic manners makes for safer riding regardless of other factors.

My other pet peeve is RVs. Rolling road blocks. I was appalled that the Rangers let them past the lower check point on the road up to Pikes Peak. Coming down they were a danger to everyone else as they tried to 3-point-turn the switch backs while bikes were trying not to slide over the edge in the snot-slick mud behind them. Another time was the conga-line of them along the length of NV 95 south out of Laughlin. Back-to-front going 10 mph under the speed limit on a dual carriageway. I never appreciated idiots mistaking headlight modulators for cop lights more in my lift. I had hit them to get ready to pass and it was like Moses parting the Red Sea.

All this bragging about speed in Atlanta. My only experience was on a Thursday at 5:15 PM. What I would have given to be able to go 90 mph.

Yeah. Because of a reorganization, my paperwork had been cut to transfer me to Atlanta. That would have been a daily commute into downtown. To keep our standard of living would have meant finding a place at least 60 miles away. I got right to work and transferred to another agency instead.