How much time to install Wilbers?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
I know alot of you guys are excellent wrenches but it isn't one of the skills I possess so I am relegated to paying somebody else to do the dirty work for me. I know because of geographic differences in labor costs its impossible to compare prices for certain work done but it seems to me that the amount of time a job takes should be the same across the board whether you are in Canada, California, New York, or across The Pond. So I was trying to get a feel for how long the installation of the Wilbers rear shock and front springs would take a so called "professional" at my local dealer. My record for being ripped off is scary so it would definitely help in determining approximately how much a job should cost me before I sign up.....It may be a helpful thread for others that aren't capable of doing it themselves. If you want to know how long it should take to install a water treatment system, just axe me....

Depends on what maintainance is also due. Front springs can just be dropped in, ounce of fluid tossed in, and buttoned up. This is what some people apparently expect the job to consist of. 1 hour on that one. Do it right, pull the tubes, drain, flush, clean, install, set new fluid height, reinstall, check brakes etc, retorque, adjust and do it nice, about 3-4 hours. Rear, same deal. Toss in a shock, 1-2 hours. Disassemble swing arm, clean and lube pivots, relay arm, driveshaft splines and wheel drive interface, install shock and all disassembled components, adjust, 3-4 hours again. But I'm a slow ass amateur, a pro could prob knock off 1/3, so call it a good 6 hours to do it up nicely, IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on what the radman says. Just make sure skooter isn't about or you'll have to double that time estimate... :D

Wadaminute... I'm agreeing with radman?! :eek: The end of the world is nigh!!!!

I changed the rear shock myself with a little help from my wife in about 1 hour. I had the fork springs installed by my dealer (removal of forks, drain oil, replaced the oil and gave me the old springs and remaining oil back) for $75.00

Well worth the time and money.

igoforit

When I had mine in for the ticker fix the dealer did the front shocks flush etc., installed the springs and did the rear shock. 3 hours labor plus fluid. Wilber's shock and springs

I did mine myself and a competent mechanice should be able to do front and rear in 2-3 hours with no problem.

It's really not that difficult so I suggest you try to find another local FJR owner who has done it and see if you can get with him to assist on yours.

I'm in the Catskills. A long way from the 'Isle of Long', but probably can be done in a day if you'd like to come out and do it in my garage. Allow about 90 minutes travel from the GWB plus whatever it takes for you to get that far from your home.

PM me if you want to make plans.

An hour to 1 1/2 hours to install the rear shock is about right. That's what it took me with a little help from my son-in-law (who has changed his dirt bikes rear shock). Dealer is doing the front springs along with the 16k mile service as I don't have the lift or tools for the front springs (maybe I'm just a wee bit lazy in my old age :eek: )

Tom

I'm in the Catskills. A long way from the 'Isle of Long', but probably can be done in a day if you'd like to come out and do it in my garage. Allow about 90 minutes travel from the GWB plus whatever it takes for you to get that far from your home.
I'd love to take you up on that offer. I'm in NYC with a set of Wilbers springs and shock waiting to be installed. I'll also bring your choice of lunch/beverage :drinks:

Let me know if this works for you. It would be great for me.

Bennie

Cool. I'll be out of town until Easter and I won't have my computer with me. I should have some time after that. Probably best to do it on a Saturday. PM me with a couple of dates that work for you and we'll work someting out.