How to get on the bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serhan

Reaction score
This seems like a silly question but, we just upgraded from a much lower cruiser, and it seems pretty hard for my passenger to get on the back seat, that is without kicking any of the bags. We are using the technique we learned from an old couple riding a GS1200, where she steps in using the foot peg on one side, but she seems to get tripped on the cases every other time...

Is there a trick? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance....

Serhan.

Tell her that from the left side of the bike, to put her left foot on the left foot peg, then her right foot over the seat, hurdle style, not swing over, and down onto the right foot peg. This is also the method I use when getting on my bike when I have a passenger already sitting (like at gas station, etc), as well as when I have my top case on.

Rider gets the bike standing up and stable. Passenger uses the left shoulder of the rider to hold themselves stable. Place left foot on peg, stand up on the peg then swing the right leg over. Use the rear peg like a stirrup and mount the bike like you would a horse.

After consulting with the Pillion Paparrazi, +1 Scab.

Had to ask because I've never ridden on the back. <_<

If she is already on the bike, I just kinda step-KICK my right leg up (from the left side of the bike) and slide right on into the saddle.

Alternately, you could have her mount wild-west movie style - have her standing on the second-story balcony, pull the FJR under her and she hops right off the balcony into the saddle... :blink:

YMMV, of course.

This seems like a silly question but, we just upgraded from a much lower cruiser, and it seems pretty hard for my passenger to get on the back seat, that is without kicking any of the bags. We are using the technique we learned from an old couple riding a GS1200, where she steps in using the foot peg on one side, but she seems to get tripped on the cases every other time...

Thanks in advance....

Serhan.
Let me know if you find out cause my wife Kicksem just about every time. She has the technique down but says she just cant bend her legs to miss the bags. That's her excuse and she's sticken to it. I told her she needs yoga lessons. I was gonna say far enough, but that's a discussion for another day!

There are some threads here with a lot of information on how to get the pilion on the bike. There are a couple of methods but you will have to decide what works best. here's how we do it.

When i give her the thumbs up, she knows that i am ready for her to get on. 2 weeks ago my coworker didn't practice this and his Road King was on the ground before he new it. I told him it was his fault. Don't think he appreciated that. Oh well just a hardly anyway. back to subject.

Once i give her the go sign she puts her left hand on my left shoulder and then her left leg on the left side peg. Now here comes the hard part. She lifts her right leg and then she swings it over the seat. hopefully without hitting the right side bag. I can't bitch because sometimes i evan hit the bags when i am by myself. My theory is if you aint scratchin it, you aint ridin it. So far the paint seems to be holding up pretty well.

Hope this helped.

Last edited by a moderator:
It can be tough for anybody to get a leg over a fully loaded bike. If that person is wearing restrictive pants, isn't able to perform a simple Judo side-kick (it gets harder with age) or is small in stature, it 's even tougher.

Try this. Have her sit side saddle facing either side, then scoot her but up to the pillion, then sweep the leg (you got a problem with that?) over the tank or curl her leg to get the knee behind the tank and then over.

This works very well for ladies who are shorter and wearing snug jeans or riding pants.

Good Luck! :rolleyes:

Feet on the drivers pegs, roundhouse kick. With that method, their foot will miss the trunk/backrest when they swing their leg over.

Feet on the drivers pegs, roundhouse kick. With that method, their foot will miss the trunk/backrest when they swing their leg over.

What if she gets back up after that roundhouse kick? :yahoo:

Oh, right...she makes like a roundhouse kick, not you. Silly me.

Rider gets the bike standing up and stable. Passenger uses the left shoulder of the rider to hold themselves stable. Place left foot on peg, stand up on the peg then swing the right leg over. Use the rear peg like a stirrup and mount the bike like you would a horse.
Hat box (trunk) gets in the way.

It can be tough for anybody to get a leg over a fully loaded bike. If that person is wearing restrictive pants, isn't able to perform a simple Judo side-kick (it gets harder with age) or is small in stature, it 's even tougher.
Try this. Have her sit side saddle facing either side, then scoot her but up to the pillion, then sweep the leg (you got a problem with that?) over the tank or curl her leg to get the knee behind the tank and then over.

This works very well for ladies who are shorter and wearing snug jeans or riding pants.

Good Luck! :rolleyes:
Tried it scrached the tank...

V-65 has it right. The passenger steps onto the left driver's footpeg, swings the right leg over the seat and places foot onto right drivers peg. It helps if the driver leans a little bit forward so she can be plumb when placing the right foot down.

Thanks in advance....

Serhan.
I went from a Cruiser also, after two months I can finally mount the beast without kicking either the bags, seat or hat box.

I'm new to this riding 2up and I don't think there is an easy way to mount.

Once my passenage is on I feel like a frigging ballarina tring to get my leg over the seat. :lol:

and getting off is just as bad.

and if your on unlevel ground, say at a view point going up a hill. Scares the crap out of me... I just know the thing is going to topple over.

I tried getting on first and having my passenage get on as discribed previously, but the sound of the bags getting scrached was just too much to take. :D