How to move hand warmer controls?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aharper

Reaction score
When I bought my bike it already had hand warmers installed over the brake reservoir. The controls are mounted to a plate that is mounted to the mirror mount location. I'd like to move this to the other side of the bike, over my right hand and attached to the other mirror mount. This will free up some space on/in front of the n/line dash. Right now if I turn the bars all the way to the right the warmer controls will hit anything that gets placed on the dash that hangs over the front edge. The plate under the controls is formed to fit on the left side of the bike. I have no idea where to find a right side mount plate! Any ideas?

Hopefully you can see the warmer control in this pic, it's a little dark.

IMG_20130130_212240_436.jpg

I had the same warmer set up on my 03, mine was on the left side also but down lower and more left. It was just above the windshield and headlight control. Rotate or flip the metal base that holds the control. To take the controller off the base there are 4 small screws on the bottom of the base. Also remove the spacer that is on the bolt and cut the screw down so the controller sits lower. I know it can be set up this way because mine was. That way you can keep it on the left and out of the way of your shelf, it looks cleaner this way also, besides I don't know about mounting on the right side.

... I'd like to move this to the other side of the bike, over my right hand and attached to the other mirror mount. ...
Hopefully you can see the warmer control in this pic, it's a little dark.
Just remember, if you move it to the right you'll have to release the throttle to adjust it.

Does this help with the picture?

IMG_20130130_212240_436_en.jpg

I have found that I normally will set the temp and then leave it be... I rarely adjust while riding which is why I don't mind it on the right side. Funny, though, I hadn't even considered moving it up to the dash. lol I'll have to see what I can do with the wiring, that would be an easy solution.

If you move it the way I said you can still keep it in the same mirror hole out of the way of the shelf and the wire is out of the way, you have more shelf space and you can just use your thumb to get to the controller. But its what you are happy with that matters.

If you move it the way I said you can still keep it in the same mirror hole out of the way of the shelf and the wire is out of the way, you have more shelf space and you can just use your thumb to get to the controller. But its what you are happy with that matters.
I like your idea... I think I'm gonna give that a shot tonight. Did you rotate it forward or backward? Seems like a simple solution and leaves the shelf available for other things. I'm going to move my phone up on the dash on the left so I can hit the button to track forward on songs. GPS will sit in the middle and hope to get a radar detector some day for the right side. I will just get rid of the stuff from that stem nut once everything gets moved into my line of sight.

I think you could just rotate the bracket, cut the bolt down and put the controller on that way without the spacer. When I bought my 03 used in Jan. 04 the controller was already in that spot, it had the tall spacer and I don't know why, I think the spacer is there in case you want to mount it above the clutch cylinder, so I removed it and cut the bolt down to be more flush to the mirror hole. Later I cut the metal bracket down so I could slide the controller back a little bit, that way I didn't have some of the metal bracket sticking out, I used pro taper glue to hold the controller on the bracket and then I was able to get rid of the bolt and use a Ram ball to hold the metal bracket down to the mirror hole and gain another place to add something such as a gps or phone ect. I had to move the bracket back some because the wire coming out the right side of the controller kept the ram arm from going on the ram ball without bending the wire. That set up worked great until I got the new 2010.