How's this look for DIY tire changing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That machine is for dirtbike tires. There is no method to secure the rim. I use the harbor freight tire changer and have done about 100 tires with it. Also buy the mojoblocks to keep from gouging the rim sides. I use 3 tire irons, never the big rod that comes with it, and rim protectors. I do use the Nomar gel for tire installations that works great.
If you mean no way to keep the rim from spinning, options are to use a tie-down strap on one of the spokes, or to weld/bolt in a vertical pin (rod) covered in garden hose so the spoke stops up against it. I have a HF changer too with several improvements to protect rim surfaces, and put a tie-down on. The whole thing is mounted on a large piece of 3/4 plywood that I can stand on, but the plan is to make it a hitch mounted thing one day soon..... I think the homemade "Frugal" brand machines are quite good too. I have used a Cycle Hill (No-Mar sub-brand) which is mostly No-Mar.... has its good points but has it's quirks too.... they all do, but that depends if you're into volume tire changing or just occasional use for yourself...... if I had philanthropic funding, I'd go air powered with an electronic dynamic balancer that would fit in my dream shop that I don't have yet until I get that lottery win.

I have a Harbor Freight changer with the No-Mar blocks. I epoxied bolt anchors in the floor, blow them out and bolt it up.

Only used it once, it was OK for the price. I see some mods it it's future.

Last tires I put on out of town, tire abuse emergency. FJR is a heavy bitch, and hard on tires when pushed hard.

It was quite fun though.

Here is my setup. All the tire stuff stores in the bucket when not in use.

tire-stand-1-L.jpg

Nice stand. I've been trying to visualize how I could get my tire facilitator up off the floor like that without breaking the bank.

(I've got a few ideas)

What is your stand made from? I assume that you are using tire irons and not one of the long mojo-bar things?

Last edited by a moderator:
Keepin your shorts clean dummah...

:D
Too funny. I needed a good laugh like this.

I've been spooning tires on with towels/padding on the floor of my garage. It gets the job done, but can be a PITA. These frugal ideas are great and will work well in my garage. Looks like I have a weekend fabrication project to do :)

I used this also

I think mine was a Bench Rest or something and it broke down and could be carried in your saddle bags.

When I totaled mt LT in North Dakota a piece of it got lost in the desert. That is when I bought the one the OP asked about. It was a slick tool and broke the bead no issue. I just figured I would not use one on the road. If I get a flat and can not plug and inflate it on the side of the road, I need a tow anyway.

This is close but they have changed it a bit