How's this look for DIY tire changing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FredW, the frugal one!
Damn straight!

I've toyed with the idea of getting a NoMar or Cycle Hill changer, but then I'd have to figure out somewhere to store the thing and bolt it down, etc.. I don't think that it really takes me any longer using my cobbed together, makeshift stuff anyway. :p

FredW, the frugal one!
Damn straight!

I've toyed with the idea of getting a NoMar or Cycle Hill changer, but then I'd have to figure out somewhere to store the thing and bolt it down, etc.. I don't think that it really takes me any longer using my cobbed together, makeshift stuff anyway. :p
Fred, my back hurts just looking at this picture...

IMG_4349a.jpg

I'm a cheap frugal one myself, but the Harbor Freight unit with some Mojo enhancements works like a charm. I have mine bolted to 4' X 4' X 3/4" plywood and use Panman for ballast! ;)

--G

Cycle Hill! Great machine for the price.
+1 on the Cycle Hill. I use it with the hitch receiver adapter so it's easy to make stable and even travels well...
+10 on the Cycle hill. I started out using the hitch mount but that only lasted for two changes. I ended up mounting it in the garage. With 5 bikes in the garage and plenty of riding friends this is one of my best and most used tools.

DSC06014.jpg

At this point I'm considering the Cycle Hill unit and the roll-on adapter despite it being a chunk of change I shouldn't spend now. Sometimes I've learned the hardway it's better to do things right the first time.

Fred, my back hurts just looking at this picture...

IMG_4349a.jpg
This actually works quite well. While my old knees have complained my back has been fine. It is amazing how easy it is for us, ahem, wide bodies to put a little weight into the task and get things done.

While we may be stooped over, it is the guys that spent hundreds of dollars for tire machines that got bent over :p :lol:

https://www.no-scufftiretool.com/

Check here for DIY tire changer of similar concept made from a car wheel, bead breaker, etc. I will also say Dave's tire changing bar is better than the Mojolever or No-Mar's bar....... however, to each his own.
This is the way I went, I even made a DIY @ motocampers here

Wow, nice work there Aldawg!! :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo:

Somehow I missed this post previously.

Now I have some ideas on making some more (still frugal) improvements to my set-up.

https://www.no-scufftiretool.com/

Check here for DIY tire changer of similar concept made from a car wheel, bead breaker, etc. I will also say Dave's tire changing bar is better than the Mojolever or No-Mar's bar....... however, to each his own.
This is the way I went, I even made a DIY @ motocampers here

Wow, nice work there Aldawg!! :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo:

Somehow I missed this post previously.

Now I have some ideas on making some more (still frugal) improvements to my set-up.
After doing alot of 'homework' I was able make this whole set-up complete, everything you see, for under $200. And it works great, also Dave is very good about getting replacement parts if something should break. Those expensive tire changers are completly unnecessary, and overly complicated. When it gets warmer outside, I'll add a homemade bead breaker to the DIY.

That machine is for dirtbike tires. There is no method to secure the rim. I use the harbor freight tire changer and have done about 100 tires with it. Also buy the mojoblocks to keep from gouging the rim sides. I use 3 tire irons, never the big rod that comes with it, and rim protectors. I do use the Nomar gel for tire installations that works great.

That machine is for dirtbike tires. There is no method to secure the rim. I use the harbor freight tire changer and have done about 100 tires with it. Also buy the mojoblocks to keep from gouging the rim sides. I use 3 tire irons, never the big rod that comes with it, and rim protectors. I do use the Nomar gel for tire installations that works great.
Thanks. Looks like harbor freight no longer sells their machine. I'm just going to purchase the Cycle Hill changer and the stand you roll your car onto when I'm ready to purchase. If I ever move to a house with a bigger garage I can then floor mount and be set.

Can I enter the contest for most frugal tire changer? :lol:

I used to change tires on a plastic bucket with spoons while sitting on the garage floor, but that gets old. So I made the usual car wheel changer with some modifications.

tire_changer.jpg

I used some free 2 inch square tubing to mount the car wheel so that the whole setup will attach to the hitch on my truck. Then I used some free scrap metal to make a bead breaker that also attaches to the square tubing. The bead breaker handle pulls off for easier storage. I use one of the no scuff tire tools, which costs 10 times more than the amount of money I have invested in the rest of the tire change setup. :lol:

For balancing, I use the bike axle to rest the wheel on my 2x4 wood framed stand:

balance_stand.jpg

What may be hard to see is that the axle is resting on 2 bearings on each side that are bolted to a custom bracket, which in turn is screwed to the wood frame. Bearings were salvaged from work and were originally used in magnetic tape based flight recorders (the infamous "black box"). This allows the wheel to spin freely, even if the bike axles didn't turn at all (and there's really too much friction to expect a good balance if you were to rely on the wheels bearings to spin).