Hyper lites installed, headlights not working.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacDaddy

Reaction score
I just bought a set of brake light only Hyper-Lites (HL) for the 06 FJR and a set of brake and running lights for my Tiger.

So far I have put the brake only lights on the FJR. I cut the green wire per HL (HL harness) to make it flash for a few seconds and then run contiuniously. (Love the posi-twist connectors). At first I hooked up just the the positive wire on the HL's to the yellow wire (FJR brake wire) in the tail section and the negative wire to the black wire in the tail section.

Thinking that since these were brake light only HLs, I wouldn't have to wire up the HL wire that connects with the blue FJR wire (running lights).

I turned on the ignition, hit the brakes and the HL's didn't come on. I happened to notice the headlights weren't on but I really didn't think much about it at the time (turn signal/running lights on). I hooked up the HL running light wire up to the blue wire per the instructions and the HL's work great.

My problem is that the headlights still don't come on. If I flip the switch to Hi-beam the blue light on the dash comes on but still no headlights.

I had hoped that I had just blown the headlight fuse (#6) and it would be a simple fix for this simple person. All the fuses looked fine and I even put in the spare 25A fuse in the fuse block to make sure.

The bike starts and runs fine. the running lights come on and the brake and HL's all work just fine.

I bought the bike a little while back and I'm still getting used to it. I am obviously not an electrical God but I thought this was simple enough. I was wondering if someone here might have some thoughts that would help. I sure would appericate it if you did.

I could take the bike to the Yamaha dealer but I'm concerned they would say it voids the warranty.

Many thanks,

Steve in Texas.

You do know that the headlights on the FJR only come on after it's started, and stay on until the ignition is turned off.

Just a wild guess.

I appreciate the quick replies.

It still no workie when running. I keep thinking something must of blew but if its not the fuse for the headlight then I don't know.

Steve.

Under the right pannel by the battery is where the headlight fuse is located. It's a 25A fuse. There should be a couple spares in there including a 25A. They should be under one of the black caps just rearward of the battery.

You might try "UN"-wiring the hyper lights and see if the headlamps illuminate when the ngine is started. Perhaps you have connected an errant circuit?

Is it possible you have pulled a connector block apart theu leaving an open circuit?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this would cauce the problem but reading the directions indicate the following:

(1) Tie the 3 blue wires and 3 brown wires together(module and lights together)

(2) Use posi tap to connect hyper light red wire to tail light red wire(you did this)

(3) Use posi tap to connect hyper light grey wire(bluish) to tail light running (Yamaha's are blue)

(4) Use Posi black wire to ground (from module).

I believe the the grey(bluish wire) is the line is used to power up the lights, the red brake light line uses the brake light signal... With this wire not connected, you may be shorting something out or sending power elsewhere. if you don't want running lights, hook up the blue line ALSO UP TO THE RED WIRE (to use this line for power, not just the signal). (I had this discussion with HP when they sent me the wrong module).

I have a set my 04 FJR (brake lights only) and everything works fine. My second bike has running/brakes lights and they also work fine... Hope this helps..

Scott

I installed the same on my 06 a year ago. I'm not to where I can check your wiring description in your post, but I installed exactly like the directions and everything worked great. Maybe you have already done this, but double check to sure they are installed just like the instructions, and check the coneections. I'm not a wiring savy person, but you are tying into the tail light assembly, not sure why installing the Hyper-Lites would affect the headlights. I guess it's possible that the install may have triggered another issue up front. I just don't know enough how the bike is wired.

Don't know if this helps or not, but maybe.

This is how I did mine (notice NO cutting, splicing, or tapping of the bike's harness).
https://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/hyper/hyper.html

I received my HL's for Xmas and installed them last week per Bounces instructions above. It took a little longer than just tapping into the wiring at the back of the bike but its a nice seamless installation. I also have the constant on running light HL's and did cut the green wire to get the flash/steady brake light. good luck.....

Paul

I'm going to have to agree with Madmike. I'd pull the unit and put everything back the way it was and see if you have headlights again. If you do, then it's either your install is bad, or the unit itself is bad. If you don't, then we'll have to dig deeper to find the solution.

It's the connector that plugs into the back of one of the tail lights. It may change shape. It may change color. It may change wiring schema. It will always have a hot+ground for running lights and turn indicators. Take the idea and a digital multimeter and dope out the details once you have the concept.

Well I'll have to dig deeper I guess. I disconected the HL's and still no working headlights (hi-beam on dash still works).

I had the 3 brown wires tied together and the 3 blue wires tied together with both going to the HL module.

I had the HL red wire tied into the Yamaha yellow (brake) wire

I had the HL black wire tied into the Yamaha black (ground) wire.

At the time of the install, I thought that since I using a HL WITHOUT the working taillight option (brake light only) I would try it WITHOUT hooking up the HL gray wire to Yamaha's blue (tail light) wire.

At that time, I turned on the ignition. I noticed that the headlights weren't on but the running lights were. I don't think I started the bike then. I saw that the HL's were not working when I applied the brake.

I then connected HL gray wire to Yamaha blue wire. Turned on ignition and the HL's worked as advertised.

When I went to ride the bike (later that night) I saw that the headlights were not working. So I switched bikes and rode the Tiger to work.

I HOPED since I turned on the ignition prior to hooking up the gray to blue wire that I just blew the headlight fuse. I checked the fuse panel next to the battery. 25A fuse #6 per the manual in for the headlights. Besides #6, I checked all fuses and they were fine. I even tried the extra 25A fuse in the fuse holder with no luck.

I don't do many farkles but know I could handle more than I do. However going through this is not helping my confidence any.

I don't really want to pay my dealer to fix it but I could still live with that. One of my bigger fears is that the dealer will say that since I tapped into my wiring loom under the seat that my extended warranty is now null and viod.

By the way I used the supplied Posi-Twists and the green wire on the module was cut per the instructions.

Just a stray thought, but see if your headlight relay is getting power with the engine running. You should have power at the signal wire, and main power across the relay with the engine running. If you have signal power and main power comming into the relay, and nothing comming out, then the relay is bad. If you have no signal power, that narrows your search to before the relay. If you have main power in and out of the relay, that also narrows your search to between the relay and the lights.

There's a section in the manual about checking electrical components if I recall correctly there should be a bit about checking relays. I'm at work, so no access to my shop manual atm.

Problem solved. My friend named Chuck who goes be Gilk 51 over at www.twtex.com stopped by the house to see if he could help. This is part of what I posted on that site as to what the problem was:

“Last fall I purchased the bike from a private party, I later visited a Yamaha dealer to transfer the extended warranty over to me. The dealer told me there were two factory service bulletins that should be performed on the bike.

I had the service performed a little while back. Yamaha installed a new dash because the computer was displaying the wrong MPG. Cool, now I have a bike with zero miles (ok, so there is a sticker in the glove box showing the original mileage before the change). Apparently when they reassembled everything they forgot to plug the headlights back in.

Since I haven’t ridden it much and only during the day. I hadn’t realized the headlights weren’t on until I installed the Hyper Lights and started looking at the bike.

Many thanks again to Chuck and his ability to find a loose plug under the fairing. Also special thanks to Ed for his kind offer of help.”

Also, many thanks to everyone here at the FJR Forum for their thoughts and concerns concerning my problem.

Steve.