Hyperlight Running Light Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
Recently I installed Kisan 20W-D tailBlazer lamps. These 1157 replacement tail lamps have a decaying flash when the rear brake is used.

The advantage is you simply change the lamps. No wire splicing or adding a flash unit. So far the tailBlazers have not set off my ABS lamp as a BMW friend reported was his experience. Spare bulbs are $3.95. The kit I bought comes with two spare lamps.

These are a bit pricy but it saved me hassle. The decaying brake flash is great yet I wanted to more lights on the rear and decided to install two banks of 16 LED red running Hyperlights on Hyperlight's license plate bracket. Here is how I mounted them.

I removed the license plate lamp assembly and found a blue (+) and black (-) wire. The Posi-taps supplied with the Hyperlights permitted use of the license lamp wires. My VOM verified the Pos-taps worked - sweat. I drilled the hole in the upper right of this photo to route the wires under the fender. This photo was taken before connecting the wires running to red end of the Posi-taps. Easy.

IMG_8347.JPG

Next I drilled a hole in the the fender mid license plate (on the wrong side of the I-beam support - nuts). The wire route is in the next photo. Some shrink tube to protect the wires came in handy along with a wire bracket.

IMG_8354.JPG

The Hyperlight are installed on the bottom of the license plate to provide some separation from factory tail lens. Here is the mostly finished result. The Hyperlights are a bit crooked in this photo due to the lack of permanent fasteners.

IMG_8352.JPG

Now I have lots of light and flashing rear brake lamps.

That looks like a great set-up! I am always being tail-gated - Canadian drivers are awful drivers - so am always looking to make my bike more conspicuous to vehicles behind me. My last bike was a GL1500 GoldWing - it had 3 sets of bike-wide horizontal running and brake lights (saddlebags, trunk, and trunk spoiler), and I still got tail-gated regularly. With my move to an FJR, one of my concerns has been how visible, or invisible, I will be to following vehicles. The lights you have installed will certainly help to be more visible ... I hope you won't mind if I shamelessly copy your set-up.

One question ... what made you choose the hyperlite kit you have, and not the kit with the brake light and signal lights?

Thanks!

Suar

Hyper-lites is one of the very first farkles I do.

Just did them on my new Versys. It's funny, but some people will stop a full car length back, where before no one ever did that. Not necessarily the goal, really just want to be sure the person sees me.

The few days riding without them I didn't like! Ha, you get use to having them.

Enjoy, you will like them :)

One question ... what made you choose the hyperlite kit you have, and not the kit with the brake light and signal lights?

Thanks!

Suar
Less wiring to do. This was easy. Plug in two new tail lamps to get achieve flashing brake lights and tap in to the license plate wire for the running lights.

The post is to share how to use the license plate lamp wiring to power a running light. Most folks tap into the main tail lamp wire bundle.

Thanks!

Suar
Less wiring to do. This was easy. Plug in two new tail lamps to get achieve flashing brake lights and tap in to the license plate wire for the running lights.

The post is to share how to use the license plate lamp wiring to power a running light. Most folks tap into the main tail lamp wire bundle.
Didn't really "get" what you did till just now, that's cool, so now your hyper-lites are "on" all the time? And what flashes is the bulbs you added?

ahhhhhh, okay.

Generally, one would (as you say) use the wires going to the bulb for the hyper-lites so that they will flash when applying the brakes. That's my preference but hey! Anything that makes us more visible is the goal :)