Hyperlites Installation with photos

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 28803

Ridin' and smilin'
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I added Hyperlites to the back of my bike. The better they see me, the happier I am :thumbsup:

I did get the mounting bracket but did NOT add the flashing option. Instead I added a brake light flasher from www.3rdbrakeflasher.com to the stock tail light. That install is really very easy, and I didn't take many photos, so I haven't covered it here.

Here is my Hyperlites install:

Before:

Bike_Installs_2012_05_30017.jpg

The parts and bits I used including 1/4" plastic wire loom (needed about 3 feet). On the left is the brake light flasher. Some of the shrink wrap on the right was used for that, not for the Hyperlites. The Hyperlites come with all the Posi-Taps and -Locks (link) you need.

taillights_001_0partsandtools.jpg

Other Tools:

taillights_001_dremel.jpg

taillights_001_powertester.jpg

First, remove the rear rack by removing these bolts:

taillights_003_rackremoval.jpg

taillights_004_pillionarea.jpg

Checking out the inside to decide where to run the wires... on the right you can see a stock wire loom.

taillights_005_pillionspace.jpg

Once I decided where to drill the holes for the wires I cut a small piece of the plastic wire loom. I used this to check the size of the holes through the fender so I wouldn't drill the holes too big. The drill bit in the Dremel as maybe 1/3 the size of the loom.

taillights_007_loom.jpg

Underneath the pillion area, looking up from the rear tire:

taillights_009_holebeneath.jpg

And just above the license plate. I could have drilled it lower but there aren't any good places to secure the wires under the fender so I wanted as little of it under there as possible. I wanted this hole and the other as close together as I could get them without messing anything else up:

taillights_008_holetag.jpg

Then I put the Hyperlites wires into the loom:

taillights_011_wiresinloom.jpg

I taped the end of the wires with electrical tape then ran the loom/wires UNDER the plate bracket. The mounting bracket for the lights is attached to the bottom of the license plate so running the loom and wires behind that piece is necessary. Once it was through that hole I ran it up into the pillion area.

taillights_012_0wiresthrutaghole.jpg

taillights_012_tagwiresloomed.jpg

taillights_013_wiresthrupillion.jpg

Next I grounded the tester and checked the wires going to the stock lights. I wanted to verify wire colors and actions and this is what I got:

Green= Right turn signal

Brown= Left turn signal

Blue= Running lights

Yellow= Brake lights

Black= Ground

(The photos of the probe are not me checking power but just holding the wire looms to the side so we can see the wires to the stock lights)

taillights_014_groundtester.jpg

taillights_015_tailwires.jpg

taillights_017_rightturn.jpg

Then I split the loom at the stock light wires so I could tap into them.

taillights_019_wirestotail.jpg

The Posi-Taps and Posi-Locks are pretty slick. They make for a very easy, clean install and I don't worry about wires breaking over time. My only complaint is that in a tight area like this I think they take up too much space. At least when you have several of the in a small area. I may come back later and clean these up and install a harness or something. We'll see.

taillights_021_wired.jpg

taillights_022_0_modulator.jpg

taillights_022_wiredandwrapped.jpg

And, of course, I tied some string to the front brake lever so I could test them. You can't really see as much in a photo but these LEDs are definitely brighter than the stock lights. More photos and videos can be found at the Hyperlites website and likely on YouTube as well.

taillights_023_stringtobrake.jpg

taillights_024_braketeststring.jpg

That's all folks. I hope this post is helpful - ride safe!

Last edited by a moderator: