Hyperpro progressive rate

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theycallmemorris

Reaction score
I just picked up an '06 and the previous owner had installed a Hyperpro progressive rear spring on it. I'm 5'8" on a good day, and 140lbs so am wondering if this spring has the bike sitting any taller. He also gave me the Hyperpro front springs that he never got around to installing. Would they make the front sit any taller?

The answers to both questions: probably.

The rear Hyperpro is available in standard height, and +1". So, you'll want to ask which the PO installed, or measure.

The front springs have a considerably higher rate (stiffer) than the FJR's stock springs. So, the rider sag will be lower, meaning it'll sit higher when you hop on.

At 140lbs (probably 150-155 geared up), I predict the Hyperpro setup will be oversprung for you.

That's kind of what I expected to hear. He was a fairly tall guy, so I wouldn't be suprised if they were the taller springs. I plan on using this bike mostly for 1 up traveling and exploring, so it will be loaded down a lot of the time(my truck is a 4dr/long bed dually and I can't seem to go anywhere without filling the whole truck up). I also ordered the 1 1/4 lowering links. I know everyone complains about changing the bikes geometry, but once I lower the rear, and raise the front forks up, wouldn't I be back fairly close to stock height?

He had also installed a very well padded(not lowering) rick mayer seat, so I'm trying to make up for some of that too.

If he got just the rear spring upgrade on the OEM shock the rear height will be the same. the front will be slightly higher so you can raise the front forks 5 mm. Progressive springs works different than Straight rate springs, progressive has a wider weight range. To compress the progerssive the same distant as a single rate, it takes more weight towards the end to compress the progressive spring. I had the spring upgrade and I liked it, now I have the fully adjustable HyperPro rear.

Last edited by a moderator: