I am retarted - I think I killed my vista cruise install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric L

Not that kind of a doctor
Reaction score
I just dont get it. Yes I read the posts about the vistacruise install. When the darn thing gets closed, what exactly does it 'squeeze'? The grip? the throttle tube? Whhhhaaaat? I feel so technically challenged :-(

It sandwiches the throttle tube causing high friction so it can't easily return under the pressure of the return spring. You have to fine tune it so it's enough tension to hold but not so much that you can't easily counteract the lock by twisting in a hurry if necessary.

It pinches down on the throttle tube when closed. I cut the little 90* tabs off the "bracket" drilled through it and the plastic on the bike and put a rivet through it. Looks clean, works great. There was mounting picture set on here at one time I'll see if I can find it.

Here is the link I was refering to:

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=23

Instead of using the screw I used a rivet, cleaner install and sits lower.

Last edited by a moderator:
It pinches down on the throttle tube when closed. I cut the little 90* tabs off the "bracket" drilled through it and the plastic on the bike and put a rivet through it. Looks clean, works great. There was mounting picture set on here at one time I'll see if I can find it.

Yeah OK, for some reason I thought it gripped that lip on the grip. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

You know when I was young I was the guy who could build and fix things.

r - e - t - a - r - d - e - d

Don't know anything about the Vistacruise, but at least I could help with something. :p

Keep in mind Eric L, that most of the time there isn't enough room between the grip and cable assembly to fit the Vista. You'll have to remove the stock grip, install the Vista and then reinstall the stock grip. Make sure the Vista is centered on the tube too.

I've found using hair spray works great for slipping the grip back over the tube and it's handy...just borrow the SO's. ;)

BTW & FWIW...I used a short self tapping screw to secure the Vista to the cable assembly.

--G

If you cut a long slot in the "tab" of the VistaCruise, a slot just barely wide enough to pass over the shank of a small screw or threaded pin...

The VistaCruise can self-center and still won't rotate. Allowing to freely self-center makes it release much better when adjusted to tighten and lock firmly.

And...

If you still have that paper thin plastic flat washer that matches the O.D. of the flare on your grip, that will go outboard of the VC to reduce friction brought on by the tight fit between grip and the VC.

Just installed this on monday. Thanks to wabill for finding it and posting info on it.

I like it better than the Vista cruise and a much easier install. Never like the compromise with the Vista between getting enough clamping force to hold the throttle with latent drag during normal operation.

control%20bk_s.jpg

Throttle Control

Last edited by a moderator:
I just dont get it. Yes I read the posts about the vistacruise install. When the darn thing gets closed, what exactly does it 'squeeze'? The grip? the throttle tube? Whhhhaaaat? I feel so technically challenged :-(
You don't have to drill anything. I just added a tablespoon end.
DSCN18741.jpg

I've had both on several different bikes. A VC and TM do the same thing but from opposite ends of the grip. A TM is also a bar end weight and might help with vibration. A VC is activated with a flip of the lever while a TM requires a 90 degree twist of the bar end. But the MOST substantial difference between the two is cost. Less than $20 for a VC, $125 plus for a TM.

There is also a Brake-away https://www.brakeawayproducts.com/ which I have on my V Max.

They are a PITA to install, PITA to adjust and just overpriced trick as far as I'm concerned.

Seems to me that, with the bar end set-up on the FJR, it would be fairly simple to do a homegrown version of the TM.