I did it.......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear that too. Yes, there was one other before you who was not happy. Enough for me. I don't need three strikes, two will do. They will never see my $$$$.

Hope it all works out for you in the end. I am sure you will be happy with your new suspension.

Sorry to hear that. Hope it works out in the end for you.

Aren't these the same guys that bought GPS Suspensions and are doing a Group Buy?

(Or am I cornfused on that one?)

You're not confused. They are the same.

Thank y'all for your thoughts, I'll keep you posted. I know the solution will work like a charme, it just sucks when you see that the service cultur nowadays goes that way down the drain.

What bugs me is, that I've paid already all parts, following their policy.......so where's the business risk taking anymore, when the customer is paying for everything they haven't delivered upfront? It seems to me that the base understanding of the value of money has gone totally off to the wayside....do businesses actually realize what it takes for one to caugh up $2,600? That truly disgusts me.

Yes GP was bought by KFG, they've put them both together in to their shop now.

Well, well, well...... I recall another forum fella not really happy with KFG and their service.... So far I'm incliend to join that fella. BIke is since 2 1/2 weeks at the shop, so I call just now to learn. Bike ain't ready, we are waiting on the Shock (Penkse)..... So I engage in a conversation to learn, well it always takes 3 weeks for Penske to deliver the Shocks... So I reply... Hmm why is it, when I asked you, when do I get my bike back and YOU told me one week, now all of the sudden it is 3 weeks. We are off season, you ain't racing... so try to help me comprehend this matter!!! Especially since I've order a $ 2,600 project.......

So far my motivation did hit rock bottom.... NOT CEWL AT ALL, NOT CEWL!!!! Frankly spoken, I feel joked..... for that I don't need to drop this amount of money.. I can joke myself for free
nono.gif
Your situation is totally dicked up. I thought the whole thing sounded strange when they told you to bring it in on such short notice because it takes 3 weeks to get a Penske delivered.....but that should not stop them from doing your forks and giving the bike back to you until the shock is available. Dave used to wait until he had the shock in hand before he would tell the customer to bring the bike in so he could do it all at once....ride in and ride out the same day.

UPDATE: These comments were based on incomplete information...please review this entire thread before drawing any conclusions.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is what is was hoping/thinking myself. I would totally understood when they've said, ok guy, we order the shock and call you to bring it in...... Well the water is out of the bath tub, lets hope the baby stuck in it LOL, another version of that sayin'......

I'm used to longer delivery times, I waited 4 month to get my Baer brakes for my 87 Corvette, so that's normal for me,yet they've been upfront and told me, guy it will take us4 month to get the production together for the C4.... So I paid upfront and on point 4 month later the brake set landed at my drive way! No disappointment, but joy that the wait is over and my Corvette had the all around calipers I wanted for her!

Well, well, well...... I recall another forum fella not really happy with KFG and their service.... So far I'm incliend to join that fella. BIke is since 2 1/2 weeks at the shop, so I call just now to learn. Bike ain't ready, we are waiting on the Shock (Penkse)..... So I engage in a conversation to learn, well it always takes 3 weeks for Penske to deliver the Shocks... So I reply... Hmm why is it, when I asked you, when do I get my bike back and YOU told me one week, now all of the sudden it is 3 weeks. We are off season, you ain't racing... so try to help me comprehend this matter!!! Especially since I've order a $ 2,600 project.......

So far my motivation did hit rock bottom.... NOT CEWL AT ALL, NOT CEWL!!!! Frankly spoken, I feel joked..... for that I don't need to drop this amount of money.. I can joke myself for free
nono.gif
We apologize for this, normally this time of the year, it is about 1 week turnaround time for the work you requested if all parts are in stock. The awesome thing about Penske, is that they custom build each and every shock. The challenge, is that once we order a shock, it can take 1-4 weeks for delivery of that shock, depending on their parts availability and current work load. We never know what this turnaround time will be, until the shock is actually ordered. We care very much about each and every customer that comes through our door, and appreciated feedback, it's only helps up to do a better job in the future. Please give us a call and let us know how we can make this better for you.

Sincerely,

Thank y'all for your thoughts, I'll keep you posted. I know the solution will work like a charme, it just sucks when you see that the service cultur nowadays goes that way down the drain. What bugs me is, that I've paid already all parts, following their policy.......so where's the business risk taking anymore, when the customer is paying for everything they haven't delivered upfront? It seems to me that the base understanding of the value of money has gone totally off to the wayside....do businesses actually realize what it takes for one to caugh up $2,600? That truly disgusts me. Yes GP was bought by KFG, they've put them both together in to their shop now.
It is true, we require a parts deposit for any job we do. Only for parts, the remainder for the labor is due when the job is completed. We highly value and respect the investment that our customers are making to improve their motorcycles. It is always our goal to provide clear communication, excellent customer service and high quality parts and service. We appreciate your feedback, and apologize that we had some miss-communication of the delivery time back. Please give us a call and let us know what we can do to remedy your concerns.

Sincerely,

April Wressell

We apologize for this, normally this time of the year, it is about 1 week turnaround time for the work you requested if all parts are in stock.
A one week turnaround if all the parts are in stock......for a job that is less than one day???? Why do they want the bike to sit in their shop for a week before they work on it? If I was ever told that I needed to drop a vehicle off a week before they were going to work on it my next step would be to look for a new service department. I wonder what the turnaround time is going to be for someone who has shipped their forks/shocks to the new GP Suspension and is waiting and wondering what the delay is while their FJR is sitting on blocks in their garage.

UPDATE: These comments were based on incomplete information...please review this entire thread before drawing any conclusions.

Hello April, I'm already in touch with you guys and hope we'll get this show on the road. Thank you for your response.
Barry told me that he had spoken to you, we'll give you a call tomorrow when he leaves the shop to deliver the bike to you. We'll also do your base-line set up at that time. Thank you again and we'll see you tomorrow.

April

We apologize for this, normally this time of the year, it is about 1 week turnaround time for the work you requested if all parts are in stock.
A one week turnaround if all the parts are in stock......for a job that is less than one day???? Why do they want the bike to sit in their shop for a week before they work on it? If I was ever told that I needed to drop a vehicle off a week before they were going to work on it my next step would be to look for a new service department. I wonder what the turnaround time is going to be for someone who has shipped their forks/shocks to the new GP Suspension and is waiting and wondering what the delay is while their FJR is sitting on blocks in their garage.
We communicate with each customer, some jobs are 1 day, others take longer. We do other work besides suspension, we do major and minor service work as well. So, if you want us to check/adjust your valves, service head bearings, linkage, change your oil, change the shaft drive oil, service the brakes, etc, 1 week turnaround is normal. We may need to order some parts during the service, so we just say 1 week, it is a case by case basis. We also do same day service on the suspension work, we just schedule it in once the shock arrives. RPK dropped off his FJR and we did all the work in a few days, including a minor service, we are just waiting on his shock from Penske. This is not typical, most suspension companies do inventory this time of the year and some of them close for a few days before Thanksgiving. I believe this to be the case with this shock. Most of the time, Penske builds the shock within 3-4 days of the order, then shipping to us is 5 business days.

All suspension that is shipped to us will be done in a day or two, depending on work load. We will call the customer once we receive the suspension, to let them know it is here and is on the schedule. I hope this sheds some light.

snip...We will call the customer once we receive the suspension, to let them know it is here and is on the schedule. ...snip
It seems that in this case, this is exactly what didn't happen. While this might normally be an issue between you and the customer, since it has been brought to the Forum, what is the reason behind this failure?

We communicate with each customer, some jobs are 1 day, others take longer. We do other work besides suspension, we do major and minor service work as well. So, if you want us to check/adjust your valves, service head bearings, linkage, change your oil, change the shaft drive oil, service the brakes, etc, 1 week turnaround is normal. We may need to order some parts during the service, so we just say 1 week, it is a case by case basis. We also do same day service on the suspension work, we just schedule it in once the shock arrives. RPK dropped off his FJR and we did all the work in a few days, including a minor service, we are just waiting on his shock from Penske. This is not typical, most suspension companies do inventory this time of the year and some of them close for a few days before Thanksgiving. I believe this to be the case with this shock. Most of the time, Penske builds the shock within 3-4 days of the order, then shipping to us is 5 business days.

All suspension that is shipped to us will be done in a day or two, depending on work load. We will call the customer once we receive the suspension, to let them know it is here and is on the schedule. I hope this sheds some light.
Thank you for the response and I certainly do not have any concerns with your explanation of how your service is supposed to be performed but it is time to walk the talk. Dave started doing the FJR Group Buys in 2006 and serviced about 90 FJRs a year. It certainly was not his core business but I can't recall a single complaint about excessive time delays or a poorly finished product. You already have have two complaints from just a handful of customers. Maybe that is just the result of mis-communication and can easily be corrected........I sure hope so because GP Suspension has been a tremendous resource and not only for the FJR community. I also hope the Group Buy is a success and that you continue the great tradition that Dave started with product development because it looks like we are going to need some help with the new FJR GEN III and its non-adjustable left fork. We love spending money on our FJRs but we want to be able to ride them as much as possible....let us know when our work orders are going to be completed/shipped.

Just my 2 cents.

I've seen other suspension deals and it's usually mentioned that the rear shock is not typically in stock and must be made to order. RaceTech says this on their website, so you know it up front. Seems like some poor communication, but it'll all work out in the end, with a little time....
sarcasm.gif

You did get the vendors attention so that's nice, but if they need to make parts etc, it'll be those three weeks you'll be waiting.

Good luck, let us know how you like your new hot rod suspension.
punk.gif

snip...We will call the customer once we receive the suspension, to let them know it is here and is on the schedule. ...snip
It seems that in this case, this is exactly what didn't happen. While this might normally be an issue between you and the customer, since it has been brought to the Forum, what is the reason behind this failure?
With RPK, when the bike was dropped off, it was our understanding that he would be traveling.till December 1st, which was Saturday. We were going to call RPK today to let him know that his shock hasn't shown up yet and we should have it sometime today. We are closed Sunday and Monday, and first thing this morning, RPK called inquiring about picking up his bike, to which we informed him of the news. In all honestly we did not know RPK was expecting his bike today, we feel bad about the communication breakdown, and once again we apologize. I (Barry Wressell) have worked with Dave Hodges for 15 years, he is a great friend of mine, we talk 3-4 times a week. The expectation is high, especially following in Dave's shoes, we are listening, learning and replying. We are a good group of people at GP Suspension, we will work with you, bend over backwards if needed. We are handling the miss-communication and we are delivering the bike to RPK's house.

Barry, April,

As stated, we are in contact and talking. Once the shock arrives and the bike is ready for pick we will then know. I'm out of town from this afternoon until Friday night.

Let me try to recall the conversation I had.

RPK: Calling after he receives the estimate; how long will my bike be in the shop

KFG: about 1 week

RPK; Great since I will be out of the country the week after, gives you two weeks to take care of the bike, suspension and 16K service

KFG: Great so we have time

RPK: Yes, I plan to pick up the bike on the 1st of December as I than just arrived from my trip

So and again, I'm totally aware that custom parts take custom time..... I dig that even for me as a natural born blond (I'm now more grey than else). So you might understand that with the knowledge I had, I was frankly surprised when I get the answer.... your bike ain't ready!!

I'm not arguing anything about the technical abilities and qualities of neither of you. If a few forum members wouldn't have vouched for you, I wouldn't have contracted you to work on my bike, plain and simple.

The communication breakdown is dected and we move on.

Once the shock arrives and the bike is ready for pick we will then know. I'm out of town from this afternoon until Friday night.

Let me try to recall the conversation I had.

RPK: Calling after he receives the estimate; how long will my bike be in the shop

KFG: about 1 week

RPK; Great since I will be out of the country the week after, gives you two weeks to take care of the bike, suspension and 16K service

KFG: Great so we have time

RPK: Yes, I plan to pick up the bike on the 1st of December as I than just arrived from my trip
This recollection certainly puts a different spin on what happened from what you described in your 12/4 post. I assumed from that post that GPSuspension had told you to bring the bike in and they would have it finished and back to you within a week....which after 2 and half weeks they had failed to do. Now it appears that you made the decision to take the bike in early because of your business travel and the promised delivery date was really Saturday, 12/1. However, you did not bother to contact them until Tuesday, 12/4 and they are now agreeing to deliver the bike to you on Wednesday, 12/5 (without the shock that they have not received from Penske) and you are saying it really isn't necessary because you will be out of town (again) until Friday evening, 12/7. Unless you had a big trip planned for Tuesday afternoon I'm having a hard time seeing how you have lost any riding time due to GP Suspension.

Yes, there definitely has been some mis-communication.

GP and RPK thank you for the clarifications. It certainly looks like GP is doing everything within their power to make sure you are taken care of.

I'll be taking my shock over for an respring and service as soon as the group buy closes.