I finally broke into the 10's! (in the 1/4 mile)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessPickles

Making Grand Canyon replicas from air boxes...
Reaction score
My last trip to the drag strip had me wondering if I really got any significant benefit from my performance mods. I headed to Lapeer Dragway with a friend today (well; technically yesterday) to try again. I've been hoping to break into the 10's with my mods, and I'm happy to report that I did just that... several times.

My best run today:

Actual: 10.894s @ 126.76mph
Corrected: 10.568s@ 130.76mph
My best on my previous, nearly stock, FJR (Holeshot header with stock cans, and a PCIII not properly tuned):

Actual: 11.360s @ 120.6mph
Corrected: 11.051s @ 124.1mph
Here's some video of the fun:

I'd like to thank Tim Wilcox for stopping by just in time to witness my first run in the 10's :)

Comparing corrected times (to factor in differences in temperature, etc.), that's an improvement of 0.483s (4.4% improvement) and 6.66mph (evil! 5.4% improvement). These numbers are deceiving because they are measurements of acceleration over a fixed distance. To really see the gain, I looked at the data log on my Motty AFR Tuner for one of my runs to get a more direct comparison. My old nearly-stock bike could accelerate from 0-120mph in 11.36s. According to my data log, my new modded bike can do the same 0-120mph in only 9.79s.

That's a 1.57s and 13.8% gain!

Even better is that my data log is actually a bit conservative (slower times) compared to my time slips, so the actual gains could be a bit more. The reason that my data log disagrees with my time slips is probably that my data log shows exactly when the bike began moving, where the 1/4 mile timer starts when the tire stops blocking the lights at the starting line (slightly after you begin moving). The speed reported in my data log may also be slightly off to the lower side.

Here's some other facts from my data log:

• 0-60mph: 2.88s
  • 0-100mph: 6.59s

Here's a data log for one of my runs with some annotations (I think it's the 10.99@125 run from the beginning of the video):

drag_strip_data_log_annotated_2009_06_27.png

And here's the proof of my best time:

time_slip_2009_06_27.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost forgot...

ionbeam must
bowdown.gif
to me!

If you can show a 1/4 mile slip with an ET of 10.7 or mph over 125 and I will
bowdown.gif
to you! That would be a really, really stout performance increase. A real, true 5% performance increase with just bolt-ons is major. A 0.5 second improvement at the drags would be huge and beyond most typical results -- 15% with just bolt-ons is approaching the Twilight Zone.
I think the "15%" was a reference to a claim of similar percentage gain in top-gear roll-on acceleration in mid-range RPMs (but I was comparing to magazine numbers; not my own measurements of me on a stock bike). My 0-120mph time improved by 13.8%; is that close enough to Twilight Zone?

My 08's best run was 11.07 at 123 mph. That was 100% bone stock. I need to go back to the track now that I have the full Muzzy exhaust and PC111 installed. It feels like it pulls harder up top, so hopefully it will go in the 10's.

My 08's best run was 11.07 at 123 mph. That was 100% bone stock. I need to go back to the track now that I have the full Muzzy exhaust and PC111 installed. It feels like it pulls harder up top, so hopefully it will go in the 10's.
Wow... you must be much braver with the launch than I am. I've been paranoid since I saw a sport bike almost stand straight up right when he launched, then slam down hard. With the FJR's extra weight, I bet some serious damage could be done... plus I'd probably drop it.

We have a great drag strip here in the Memphis area and I really want to experience 1/4 mile WFO throttle without worrying about LEO's. Need to make that happen. You've inspired me, great videos.

Bob

Some good times! What's your mileage with your mods?
I've been getting about 40-42 mpg.

We have a great drag strip here in the Memphis area and I really want to experience 1/4 mile WFO throttle without worrying about LEO's. Need to make that happen. You've inspired me, great videos.
Bob

If it's a "great" drag strip, it's probably sanctioned and enforces rules strictly, so be sure to get the rules ahead of time to avoid being turned away when you get there.