I gotta get frame sliders...HELP

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotRodZilla

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Reaction score
Ok...I know I am probably opening up a can-o-worms, but here goes: My FJR fell over in the driveway on Sunday. Luckily the right mirror landed in the grass, but the rest of the bike ended up on the concrete while the bike slid about 5 inches down the incline. Needless to say now I am about $1000 into new plastic. Thank God for insurance. ANYWAY...I am now seriously looking for sliders. I have seen a bunch on the Skyway Delrin sliders, but also found some OES Delrin sliders for about 1/2 the price. I used the search function here but with 25 pages of posts and who knows how many replies in each post; well you get the idea. My basic questions are: Is one brand really that much better than the other and if they are bike specific, are they about the same length? No point in gettin sliders that are a 1/2 inch too short but I don't wanna pay more than I have to.

i got the motovation slider and can tell you from personal experience that they do what they are designed to do... :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

I bought the cheapo sliders off eBay. Here's a pic.

Farkles012.jpg

IMO - DO NOT buy aluminum sliders. They don't slide.

I have the motivation ones as well. Think they were 80 bucks or something which is about average for what I have paid for three sprotbikes.

I also echo what Andre said, stay away from the metal. Nice BLING factor but they don't slide.

Thanks for the input. I saw FJRFencers crash pics, which was what made me decide on the Delrin. I'm gonna order a set in about 10 minutes. Here's hoping I never have to test them either; been down that road once before. That was a 17 years ago, I didn't have sliders, and the bike was totalled. However, if less than $100 in parts will save my paint the next time this thing falls over, I'm ok with that.

Keep in mind most frame sliders are meant to help save the frame from damage not your fairing. Even if you have some frame sliders on your bike and you have a 0mph accident, you may still have scratches on your fairing.

I look at frame sliders as a little extra insurance that may help me ride my bike home if I go down.

Ok...I ordered the OES Delrin sliders. $50.99 shipped. Thanks for the input, and especially for the frame info. I did not know that. I thought they were to keep the paint pretty. I thought they were called frame sliders cuz they bolted to the frame. Dumbass! Thats why I joined the forum...Man money well spent!! :yahoo:

Ok...I ordered the OES Delrin sliders. $50.99 shipped. Thanks for the input, and especially for the frame info. I did not know that. I thought they were to keep the paint pretty. I thought they were called frame sliders cuz they bolted to the frame. Dumbass! Thats why I joined the forum...Man money well spent!! :yahoo:
Well I guess it's too late, but there are those that claim that Delrin is too hard. Like the aluminum sliders it can cause frame damage. That is why the motovation sliders are made from some special plastic.

Well I guess it's too late, but there are those that claim that Delrin is too hard. Like the aluminum sliders it can cause frame damage. That is why the motovation sliders are made from some special plastic.
Having watched several dozen racebikes go down on Delrin, my empirical experience shows Delrin to be just fine. YMMV

I should get some for my 04 FJR but if I remember correctly Skyway doesn't make any for it. Only the newer FJR's. Where else should I look (I know this has been asked before but I'm too short on time to do a search)??

Tom

I should get some for my 04 FJR but if I remember correctly Skyway doesn't make any for it. Only the newer FJR's. Where else should I look (I know this has been asked before but I'm too short on time to do a search)??
Tom
You could check out BikeJohnny (I've got those) or Motovation...or google search.

Having gone down at 30mph, slid 120 feet on concrete, munged the right-side mirror, scraped the Givi top box and tail pipe, and sustained zero damage to the tupperware or front end, the R&G delrin's work just fine, thanks.

I went with the Motovation on my '05. After being "run over" by a minivan on the 101 in LA when they decided to change lanes on top of me, the bike got knocked over and slid at 30 on the freeway. The slider, bar end and bag took the brunt and did what they were supposed to. Thank God traffic was bad and moving slow. I slid on my Aerostitch and have some cool marks to tell tales about now. I like the Motovation. Don't recommend metal sliders.

I have the OES sliders as well, note the install instructions are part of your order confirmaiton email and do not come with the product. I only mention this because I received the sliders as a gift and had no install instructions untill my wife remembered the email.