I have been bitten too

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxrybound

Reaction score
On a trip this past weekend and the bike shut off several times and the guages acted strange. Pulled the tank off today and can you believe I found a black spider :) Its not funny but what can you do now.

Now I got to fix it just not sure of the best route. Going to research some more and fill out my complaint form to the recall people and Yamaha.

The sad thing its a 09 with 11000 miles and my wife asked if it was a Harley.... I may need to fix the bike and send the wife away for that remark.

Bummer.

If I had a GenII I would be doing whatever preventitive maintenance procedure I could. Most likely the Brodie harness.

Hear that Fairlaner?

Sucks to hear it happened to you. This is further evidence that it doesn't matter what kind of mileage or how many years have passed. I'm glad I've installed my Brodie harness for the added peace of mind.

The Harley comment did sting!

Got pics? Also, I'd be interested in knowing sort of electrical farkles were you running and how were they wired.

I can get pics. As far as farkles go only have permanent mount controllers for heated gear and they run off auxiliary fuse block that is wired to the battery. I'm using the wire for the factory heated grips to signal a relay that send the power to the fuse block so it is only on after the bike is running. I also have cruise control and it is the auxiliary fuse block also.

I don't see how any of that would cause this problem.

I've been reading about the spider issue for a while now. I have an 06 (not that many miles on it unfortunately), but I have been thinking about getting that Brodie deal because I'm going to hopefully be able to ride more now. I'm not crazy about the idea of spending the dough on it, in that I need new tires, new battery, etc, and have a daughter that's a college student (Penn State) that is currently in studying (she tells me) in Australia and needs money. When and why this thing happens perplexes me. It is thought to be a bad wiring set up on the bike..and yet some get it and some don't. Some have an 09 with 11,000 miles and get it and some have an 08 with 35,000 miles and ride year round in the crappiest weather and have wiring that is pristine and without issue. Why? There are some pretty smart mechanical wizards on this forum, what's the theory as to why some do and why some don't? There HAS to be a specific reason.

I thought the Brodie harness was to protect against the ignition switch failure, which was finally recalled and changed out by Yamaha. I didn't know it had any effect on the spiders. Or did Brodie come up with something for the spiders also?

I thought the Brodie harness was to protect against the ignition switch failure, which was finally recalled and changed out by Yamaha. I didn't know it had any effect on the spiders. Or did Brodie come up with something for the spiders also?
Yep. Check out the "Group/Self buys" section.

This is different, check the link in my signature

I finally got some photos uploaded to computer. I don't have any photos of completed repair yet, but will post when I do. The shot of the male terminal block shows the damage of pin and wire of ground back to battery through the main loom. All the insulation is GONE! I was able to pull that pin out stand it off then cleanup and reform the block to work with the Brodie Harness.

IMG_8340.jpg

IMG_8343.jpg

IMG_8337.jpg

Thanks for all the help!! Happy and Safe New Year!!
I would highly recommend the "Brodie" harness. No more issues with my 07. Good Luck!

+1 on the harness - I put one in when I added HIDs even though at the time my new to me 07 only had 5800 miles. Piece of mind. Since then it has seen Farkle Fest 2010 and now the new season of FarkleShore 2011. :p

I have an 09 and I installed the Brodie harness in late September. While it's easy to argue that Yamaha should be doing something to mitigate the chances of being bitten, the $100 or so and a couple of hours of time, is well worth it to make sure you don't get bitten by the spider.

While it may seem daunting to pull a bunch of tupperware off the bike and muck around with the wiring, anyone with even slight mechanical skills can handle it. If not, there must be someone around who could help at a TechDay.

ian