I know some of the packing material stays

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked Gerry about it at D&H cycles when I picked up my ride and he said that it was supposed to stay, wish I would have asked why

They put that there to catch the oil that is leaking from the oil filter. It should only be included on the Califiormnia models.

Yeah, my 06 has it there....I'm just going to yank it out when I change the oil filter the first time... Otherwise it'll just become a big ugly oily dirt magnet.
Nope...not a big, ugly, oily dirt magnet...a big, ugly, oily auto-centerstand lube device.

I know some of the packing belongs......but this???????
Anyone else have this/

DSC03835.jpg
That's what mine looked like. I pulled it out thinking I'd picked up a piece of trash on the road :blink: Oh well.

If you decide you really want to leave it there, get a razor blade and trim that puppy down some. Flopping in the breeze isn't doing any good.

Much discussion and confussion about this funky foam. I'll bet if you ask 10 dealers half will tell you to leave it and half will tell you it's functional. I'd like to have an official yamaha explanation for clarification.

HELLO YAMAHA....DO YOU HEAR US???

People.....

That insulation foam *IS* supposed to be there. Leave it in place, or take it out, your choice. Just know that it was purposely put there as part of the Heat Management efforts Yamaha did for the 2006 models.

Concerns about it being an sponge for oil soaking during oil changes are unfounded. If you follow the FJRTech article on tip/tricks for oil changes, you should never get a drop of oil on this insulation foam:

FJRTech: Hassle-free oil changes

People.....
That insulation foam *IS* supposed to be there. Leave it in place, or take it out, your choice. Just know that it was purposely put there as part of the Heat Management efforts Yamaha did for the 2006 models.

Concerns about it being an sponge for oil soaking during oil changes are unfounded. If you follow the FJRTech article on tip/tricks for oil changes, you should never get a drop of oil on this insulation foam:

Spoil sport.

People.....

Thank you for the response on the insulation foam and the helpful hints on oil changes....makes sense. Glad I left mine in!!

Huh? It's supposed to be in there all fachachta like that? Nice. Glad to see QC is alive and well at the Yamaha assembly plants.

Taking the hint, and being just as savvy as any Joe Hiroshima, I stuffed several pounds of foam in every hole and space I could find. Frank now meets 06 spec for heat minification. He also doesn't run. A plus is I no longer need the sidestand. After pushing him to my destination, I just let him fall over, and he kinda bounces into place.

Note: If you were dumb enough to rip this out (like I was), DON'T try to stick it back in there unless you're prepared to re-attach it FIRMLY.

I pull up to breakfast today after a 100 mile ride prepared to show off the new bike to all my buds. They're all standing there waiting...and they all start screaming and pointing as soon as I pull up...that stuff burns and it SMOKES like a mother! I may never live this down...

Bsides the foam under the oil filter, the bike I looked at had foam clearly visible inside the right hand fairing vent. Is that normal or was it just a bit out of place?

Does the foam absorb water since, IIRC, it looks like open cell foam.

>>that stuff burns and it SMOKES like a mother!<<

If that's true, then that foam CANNOT supposed to be there under the engine and near hot components...

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's true, then that foam CANNOT supposed to be there under the engine and near hot components...

There is a difference between being next to a "hot" engine at 300 F and a "hot" exhaust pipe at 1400 F..... The foam should be able to withstand engine heat OK, just don't leave it unattached so that it can fall on the exhaust pipe.

No way in hell is that part of the new heat management system ! It's stopping hot air flow right at the oil filter ? What idiot would design this lovely piece of foam, it's packing material people. Do you realy thing this small piece of foam is going to reduce engine temperature 1 degree ??? :blink:

No way in hell is that part of the new heat management system ! It's stopping hot air flow right at the oil filter ? What idiot would design this lovely piece of foam, it's packing material people. Do you realy thing this small piece of foam is going to reduce engine temperature 1 degree ??? :blink:
Don't know WHY it's there, but it is glued to the plastic. It is NOT packing material and I am not about to second guess a company that puts a part on a machine because if they didn't HAVE to they wouldn't have. Each of those would represent a cost to the corporate bottom line, so they only give what's absolutely necessary.

Anybody know what kind of foam this is? I'm trying to figure out what might be usable for closing up openings/divert airflow within the fairing.

No way in hell is that part of the new heat management system ! Do you realy thing this small piece of foam is going to reduce engine temperature 1 degree ???
confused.gif

Er, no.

The insulation foam has (and always has had) ZERO affect on the engine temperature.

Similarly, the Heat Managment System on the 2006 bikes has ZERO to do with keeping the engine cool.

The insulating foam is only part of several components of the 2006 Heat Management System (the other components being adjustable venting, various new air ducts, etc). The foam's only intended purpose is to block super-heated air from flowing over the rider's lower body.

Last edited by a moderator:
No way in hell is that part of the new heat management system ! Do you realy thing this small piece of foam is going to reduce engine temperature 1 degree ???
confused.gif

The insulation foam has (and always has had) ZERO affect on the engine temperature.

Similarly, the Heat Managment System on the 2006 bikes has ZERO to do with keeping the engine cool.

. The foam's only intended purpose is to block super-heated air from flowing over the rider's lower body.
Guess we can agree to disagree WC ! B)

So if the intended effect was to evacuate the air under the bike, instead of the riders boot, it looks like a good place to do a Cromeit type fix out of some plastic instead of the cheesy foam. If your correct ... that's the most unasthetic quick fix I've ever seen on a bike ! They spend thousand on retooling a new fairing, air management etc., ... then stick 2 cents worth of foam in there ? Shoot that engineer someone please ! :D