I lied to you guys and myself...........

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAF

Reaction score
Well I had to come clean.

After telling you all I was gonna chill on parts and stuff, I lied.

I kept telling myself no parts, just get the bike, get well and ride it a bit.............

Well I started mind fuc_ing myself by saying well I can order stuff that is not bike specific.

So I ordered my Grip Puppies. Used them on the BMW and love them so no big deal, and they are the same size as my friends RT.

So then I ordered a FuzeBlock as I used a Centech and like this one way better in that the relay is built in and you can switch to all time power by moving the fuse. Hey would never go to wast no matter what bike, right?

Then I said shoot need my Tire Pressure Monitor so I ordered the Doran that I used on my BMW, great units and I have to have a TPI. Until I had one never realized how much it added to pre ride check, and how much I disliked it. With the tire prices and the mileage we get on heavyset ST bikes tire pressure is a must see at a glance item, at least for me.

So now I got a platted and pined wrist and read this surging stuff and all that and say, no way I can put up with this. So just ordered the PC V. I need to track down the smoothness map refereed to on here for my first go at it. If I go K&N and mufflers I may consider a dyno tune.

I still assume I need a G2 to lessen throttle control effort?

So I still "need" a throttle meister with heavy bar ends, I canceled the Factory top box as the Givi E55? and their SR357? are the way to go there when I need it IMHO they seem heads above the factory stuff?, need a Mount for the Zumo and am unsure the brake mount or the steering stem mount but like the RAM off center brake/clutch cover mount and have been pleased with RAM mount stuff in the past, am pretty sure I will need the Heli Riser bar but will wait to see how the seat plays out, need to get the spider harness, and need to dig deeper on the subject of highway pegs. Will see how the windshield plays out also. I hate looking through one unless it is raining hard, and then I want out of it a bit.

Other then this I should have the bike on my lift next week. And pay for it this Friday :) Did give them a 1000.00 on it so they did not pee themselves ;)

Well guys am I missing anything else or do I need anything else?

And please don't hate me for telling lies to you guys that I was cooling my jets and chilling.

While costly, reading the forums for a bikes quirks and the fixes allows me to get things ahead of time and "fix" a quirk without becoming frustrated. I mean if you read the bike has throttle control issues, and read what the fix is you just do it. All flavor of bikes have them, every forum has recurring quirks and fixes. The subjective stuff of egos I appreciate the advice to hold off on and usually do but in m spending frenzy I looked at the Cee Bailey.

Also since I am spending insurance money I want to get all I can on the bike at the beginning, as the insurance pay out is my budget for the most part. And if insurance money ever hits the checking account it will be hard to wrestle it back out.

Well I had to come clean.
After telling you all I was gonna chill on parts and stuff, I lied.

I kept telling myself no parts, just get the bike, get well and ride it a bit.............

Well I started mind fuc_ing myself by saying well I can order stuff that is not bike specific.

So I ordered my Grip Puppies. Used them on the BMW and love them so no big deal, and they are the same size as my friends RT.

So then I ordered a FuzeBlock as I used a Centech and like this one way better in that the relay is built in and you can switch to all time power by moving the fuse. Hey would never go to wast no matter what bike, right?

Then I said shoot need my Tire Pressure Monitor so I ordered the Doran that I used on my BMW, great units and I have to have a TPI. Until I had one never realized how much it added to pre ride check, and how much I disliked it. With the tire prices and the mileage we get on heavyset ST bikes tire pressure is a must see at a glance item, at least for me.

So now I got a platted and pined wrist and read this surging stuff and all that and say, no way I can put up with this. So just ordered the PC V. I need to track down the smoothness map refereed to on here for my first go at it. If I go K&N and mufflers I may consider a dyno tune.

I still assume I need a G2 to lessen throttle control effort?

So I still "need" a throttle meister with heavy bar ends, I canceled the Factory top box as the Givi E55? and their SR357? are the way to go there when I need it IMHO they seem heads above the factory stuff?, need a Mount for the Zumo and am unsure the brake mount or the steering stem mount but like the RAM off center brake/clutch cover mount and have been pleased with RAM mount stuff in the past, am pretty sure I will need the Heli Riser bar but will wait to see how the seat plays out, need to get the spider harness, and need to dig deeper on the subject of highway pegs. Will see how the windshield plays out also. I hate looking through one unless it is raining hard, and then I want out of it a bit.

Other then this I should have the bike on my lift next week. And pay for it this Friday :) Did give them a 1000.00 on it so they did not pee themselves ;)

Well guys am I missing anything else or do I need anything else?

And please don't hate me for telling lies to you guys that I was cooling my jets and chilling.

While costly, reading the forums for a bikes quirks and the fixes allows me to get things ahead of time and "fix" a quirk without becoming frustrated. I mean if you read the bike has throttle control issues, and read what the fix is you just do it. All flavor of bikes have them, every forum has recurring quirks and fixes. The subjective stuff of egos I appreciate the advice to hold off on and usually do but in m spending frenzy I looked at the Cee Bailey.

Also since I am spending insurance money I want to get all I can on the bike at the beginning, as the insurance pay out is my budget for the most part. And if insurance money ever hits the checking account it will be hard to wrestle it back out.
Well that was a mouthfull and a half! As to the quirks, well they are quirks for some and either don't exist or are unnoticed by others. I always say ride the bike first and then adjust it. You put all that stuff on the bike at once and have a problem where do you start?

Good luck with the bike, though.

Hi Lee,

Good to see you over here from the LT Board. WOW, you jumped in the deep end! I went with just getting the seat done and risers installed at first. Over the last two years I have added many other add on's as I saw the need but not all FJR's will have the same problems.

Such as my 08 had a very smooth throttle with no abruptness and once I leaned how to do the unauthorized throttle sync the bike is silk smooth. Now once I added the Two Brothers exhaust I decided to go with a PC-III as the combination work well together.

BTW - The Cee Bailey works very well but you may want the air of a stock shield in the summer.

Enjoy

Mouthful indeedy!! I was with ya most of the way..... save your money on the G2 until you try the PC v with the map they give you. Ditto for the K&N and mufflers, ride it first for a while. Also, if you back off the throttle spring, you might live without cruise control for a while. As for windshield, maybe you can try some out before you decide.... you really want the Rifle, don't you....

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget the G2, you have a 2010, that's way different from the 2006 and 2007 models that really needed the throttle improved. I test rode a 2009 and the throttle felt rock solid - compared to my 2006 with the G2 and a PC installed!!! I also don't think you would have needed the PC V right away, at least not for smoothness, but of course it's a nice thing to have. I like the PC purely for the increase of low end grunt.

I would also wait with the seat for a little bit just in case you're a thin guy like me; I bought the bike with a Corbin on it and really didn't like that very much, and decided to try the stock seat for a while instead (had to buy one from a fellow board member). Now that the stock one is really broken in it feels quite decent for my behind.

Just my $.02.

90 degree valve stems, anything by Garauld or 08FJRFORME, sliders, brodie horn harness and freeway blasters, umm.. I could go on.

Well looks like Grip Puppies, Throttlemeister, the Doran Tire Pressure Monitor, the FuzeBlock, my Zumo, and the spider bite antidote with plenty of dietetic, will go on first. Then after break in I will install the PC V, Moto Lights, Givi Top Case. Then I should know on the windshield and seat and riser needs and be able to make adjustments as needed.

I see my first bits as absolute needs. The PC I have used before on other bikes and it is just a great little tool and very nice if you can get a patient Dyno operator who is willing to put in the time and pulls to maker a good map.

I am sure the throttlemiester is fine and will dampen vibration so I don't think it is something I would decide to take off. I had used a product called Bar Snake years ago that was just insane on reducing bar vibrations. You ran it through the bars and man it worked, was hell to pull through the bars though. Have seen nickels and silicone used back in the day.

Valve stems come in the Doran TPM kit.

I have a bead breaker, and spoon my own tires, and use a Marc Parnes balance tool.

Sliders are on the bike already. I was told by forum members to be the first thing I add, and it was.

Man cant wait to get her home next week..............

i kept reading and reading and began to wonder WTF?

then i realized that you're coming from a BMW background so the farkle-mania makes sense. there's that whole adjustment period when moving and having any money left over after the basic bike purchase. it can make a person dizzy if they don't spend it somewhere else.

i kept readind and reading and began to wonder WTF?
then i realized that you're coming from a BMW background so the farkle-mania makes sense. there's that whole adjustment period when moving and having any money left over after the basic bike purchase. it can make a person dizzy if they don't spend it somewhere else.
Eggzactly :yahoo: I really am punch drunk on the farkle pricing also. The PC V cost what a set of riding pegs cost for the BMW. 369.00! Also the Insurance settled way good for me and that is what the money is for. Buy a bike, the whole way. Hell I still need to consider the shock and fork upgrade but need to do it after seat and shield.

Just think of it this way, someone gives you a check for 17,500.00 and says you have to spend it all on a FJR and outfitting it. What would you do?

Have I mentioned, or not mentioned anything that needs done.

Have I wasted money somewhere?

After the advice here on the top box I saw a Yamaha and a Givi together and the Givi won hands down. That Yamaha Top Box was all but 700.00 with install hardware and the Givi with rack is way cheaper then that. So I even saved a bunch of money already :D

I am serious though I will only be able to spend on it for tires, maintenance, and the various services with me doing the wrenching, after the insurance money is gone no farkels unless life or death.

I have gotten great advice and saved money already from the help of this forum. And while a little tong in cheek, what I am buying and spending is what I think I need to make this bike right for me compared to what I am used to, within a reasonable expectation considering the differences.

Just think of it this way, someone gives you a check for 17,500.00 and says you have to spend it all on a FJR and outfitting it. What would you do?
buy the bike

get a Russell seat built

buy insurance for the first year

set the rest back for gas & tires

wait and see what's really needed after putting a 10k miles on it

Nothing you have bought is an ergo that only riding will determine what is best for you. If you are looking for help spending money, you will find it!

How are you mounting the Givi? Here is a nice alternative to the stock mount. It also gives you some adjust-ability fore/aft.

CLICKY

Windscreen: I use the stocker for the summer months. A CalSci in fall thru spring, with no complaints. (Not many complain about any of the after market screens they buy). I do like the cut out notch in the CalSci, it seems to work. If your not sure which size to get... error on bigger due to the FJR's electronic adjustability.

CalSci

Don't forget to replace the POS horns... Here is a nice cheap upgrade that does not require any additional wiring or relay, mounts in the factory location.

PIAA Horns

Hell I still need to consider the shock and fork upgrade but need to do it after seat and shield.
Actually, wait on the shield until you have the seat and suspension done. I didn't got the perfect size shield height, then had suspension done that raised the back enough that now the shield is a tad too low from 'perfection'.

LMAO.... screw it... go wild man.

Thanks man, I am!

Just ordered all the Givi stuff, including the foam E98 for the bottom, AdMore LED lighting brake/turn/running for the Givi Silver E52 Maxia, Sr357 mounting rack, and a SW Motech Silver Alum. rack if case I need to run a bag instead of the top box.

Just about out of pennies. I think if I get lucky enough to get bumped into the Russel buy, that will do it. Now just need to gather it all and get it installed in the next few weeks.

Everything else including the seat, windshield, suspension upgrade and a riser bar/risers need to be sorted out by miles in the saddle.

Again for what I have in the entire Givi setup is just about what the dealer was going to charge for factory stuff, close to 800.00.

So I get metal grab rail mounting bracket instead of plastic, full LED rear lighting on it, larger, better constructed (IMHO) case with a foam liner, and a pretty nice Alum rack to carry one of my Hellen2Wheel duffel bags if I need to.

Only in America !

Gotta have the FuzeBlock....don't gotta have the Throttlemeister.
I agree but of all the things I will need to address it will be a true cruise control. I got the TM for a stop gap/temp semi solution. I can do without everything else but CC. I am particular worried in light of my accident and have a plate and pin in my right wrist. I don't think it looks too obtrusive as I got the black milled heavy one. Seen a lot of negative reviews on them after I bought it so it may be a lesson learned. Don't think the weights will hurt a thing and if the planets align, and I can actually get it to work, it will fill the need till spring.