I love my FJR ; but where did the weight come from

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimyman

Reaction score
I just got my 1st FJR ; A 2009 When I was shopping for a sport tourer ; weight was a real consideration. I like the Honda 1300; but it up around 750 lb.

I had read about the the FJR weighting in at 537 --- what has cause the 2009 to be 660 lb

2005--537lb

2008--584lb

2009--660lb

Do we need to go on a diet :dribble:

Thanks for the insight

Jim

All covered in the FJR Model Comparison Matrix. It documents how things like addition of ABS, the Gen 2 redesign, and methods for weighing have changed over time. If weights more important than features....there are some nicely priced, rocket-fast, 2003's for sale at good prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just like all the los robustos members here.. As they get older (like beemerdons, Howie .... :lol: ) they become slightly more rotund..

:jester:

All covered in the FJR Model Comparison Matrix. It documents how things like addition of ABS, the Gen 2 redesign, and methods for weighing have changed over time. If weights more important than features....there are some nicely priced, rocket-fast, 2003's for sale at good prices.
Reviewing that chart (excellent work, btw, Iggy), I guess my biggest question is WHAT HAPPENED BETWEEN THE '08 AND '09 MODEL YEARS TO ADD SO MUCH WEIGHT??

Reviewing that chart (excellent work, btw, Iggy), I guess my biggest question is WHAT HAPPENED BETWEEN THE '08 AND '09 MODEL YEARS TO ADD SO MUCH WEIGHT??
I figured a Shyster-at-law** would recognize the little "††" symbols and have read to the right. ;)

†† Starting in 2009 published weights are "wet"
I've just thought it important for forum memory of the product to try and capture the data Yamaha provides from their websites as it is shown for posterity's sake. I doubt there is significant change in actual weight if one put an equally fluid saturated '08 and '09 on scales next to each other.

[SIZE=8pt]** Warning: This post does not constitute legal advice and intended at humor. Your results may vary. Void where prohibited. Colon Blow may cause abdominal distention. Do not look directly at Happy Fun Ball. The administrators of this forum mock puppies for sport.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my 1st FJR ; A 2009 When I was shopping for a sport tourer ; weight was a real consideration. I like the Honda 1300; but it up around 750 lb.I had read about the the FJR weighting in at 537 --- what has cause the 2009 to be 660 lb

2005--537lb

2008--584lb

2009--660lb

Do we need to go on a diet :dribble:

Thanks for the insight

Jim
I think these are published weights, the real wet weight on FJRs has been about + 50 pounds.

My 2003 no ABS is well over 600 pounds and has not much on it.

Maybe they are being more honest with the 2009 estimate for 2010?

I figured a Shyster-at-law** would recognize the little "††" symbols and have read to the right. ;)

†† Starting in 2009 published weights are "wet"
Cool and thanks. NOW that matrix makes more sense to the horizontally scroll challenged. I'm used to comparing my XX to the FJR . . . WET. But I've always been (and remain) confused about whether those published figures include luggage, and if so, do they include the top box?? Or the extra layer of paint I have on all three?? :p

My 2008 AE was 658 wet when I weighted it in 2008, and I doubt it has been on a diet since. My brother in law has a short haul truck company and I put it on the scale.

I think book says 642 lbs with fluids,owned an st honda and my 09 doesnt ride or feel like 642 lbs, my st did, 6.6 gals of gas and abs and bags and power windshield arent light items, but all in all a great package and a lot newer technology than th st, I didnt see the st in the 2010 lineup, guess it was replaced with that odd looking vfr 1200

Thanks Guys ; I had check the Comp. Matrix ; that were I got the weight from.

Just wanted some honest feedback from fellow bikers.. It seem like a big jump 2008 to 2009 even wet--

Jim

Most sport bike guys don't believe how heavy the FJR is when you tell them... about the same as an HD Dyna Glide. But as previously stated, you've got an electronic windscreen, ABS, bags, plenty of room for 2-up riding, a full fairing, that big motor... it accelerates/brakes/handles very well IMO, but IMO a sub-500 pounder for corner carving is nice to have next to the FJR in the garage. Personally, I plan on getting a Triumph Speed Triple or an Aprilia Tuono next year so I can have something more tossable that can still ride in comfort (relative to a full blown race replica anyway).

I think some of you may be confusing the two weights shown in the table. These are the weights of the A and AE, not the traditional dry and wet weights. Every year up through '08 both weights were dry. '09 and later weights are both wet.

The point is, the '08 and '09 were very close in actual weight.

One I have my FJR it will be a joy to handle ~650lbs, coming off a 800lb+ Stratoliner :yahoo:
I have a copy of the certificate of origin that came with my 08 FJR and Yamaha list the weight wet @642 lbs which includes bags which weigh 26 lbs for both.

I have a test on an 07 model in an issue of Motorcylist magazine that gives the wet weight as 676 lbs. and the dry weight at 636 lbs. If you deduct the weight of the gas, oil and coolant you can't come up with a dry weight of 636 lbs. as it will be 620 something. Additionly, I think these wet numbers are for the automatic model but who knows however the numbers listed on the certificate of origin would be correct.

On Yamaha's web site they list the wet weight as 641 lbs. for an 09 model and the bottom line is, if you peel the bags off the FJR it's pretty slim for a bike it's size.

Holy shit, I had no idea the porker was bloating up year-by-year-by-year.

My next one will be an 02, that year didn't weigh nothing.