FJR / BMW Indecision

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's some perspective from a guy who just traded his FJR for a 2011 R1200RT. Why you ask? First, the BMW is significantly lighter (compare the wet weights) and has a better suspension. I'd say the RT is the best handling sport-tourer around. I'm always surprised at the number of folks who chime in with the power advantage the FJR holds. There's no denying some extra horsepower from the FJR but the new "camhead" RT produces more than enough HP and a truckload of torque. Smoothness? The obvious winner is Honda's ST1300 and I had one of those, too. The FJR is a typical in-line four with some high frequency vibration; the RT, being a twin, has a lower frequency vibration but I don't find that uncomfortable at all at road speeds. The idle speed shake is certainly there. The RT is far more comfortable right out of the crate. Where there is a line up for FJR bar risers and Russell seats, the Beemer is just right for sport-touring. Even the leg room and knee bend is better. I fully agree that the CANbus system is a royal pain and totally unnecessary on a motorcycle. Some guys fit a power block/fuse panel under the seat and then you can tap any and all accessories into it. Let's see, Yamaha gives you a sleazy 1-year warranty (do they know something? like fried ground connectors?) while BMW has a 3-year warranty with roadside assistance. BMW dealers have bikes to test-ride. Yamaha?

The maintenance issue is there. There is no reason why a reasonably competent BMWowner couldn't do most maintenance at home. Many BMW owners don't do that for whatever reasons, but then I'll bet a good number of FJR riders don't get beyond an oil change either. The BMW final drive failure is, or was, a disgrace and an example of their arrogance, but Yamaha hasn't stepped-up on the ground spider issue either.

pete
+1 on what he said...

I've got a 08 FJR and an 09 R1200RT. Both are fun to ride. However, IMO, the Beemer is easier to ride mostly due to significantly (and very noticeable) less weight and lower CG....Very light handling (comparatively). The FJR is great choice (for me) when some adrenaline rushes are desired. Maintenance is not a problem (again, for me) on either.

For the immediate future, I plan on keeping both.

Here's some perspective from a guy who just traded his FJR for a 2011 R1200RT. Why you ask? First, the BMW is significantly lighter (compare the wet weights) and has a better suspension. I'd say the RT is the best handling sport-tourer around. I'm always surprised at the number of folks who chime in with the power advantage the FJR holds. There's no denying some extra horsepower from the FJR but the new "camhead" RT produces more than enough HP and a truckload of torque.
A little smaller truck than the FJR:

BMW -- 88 lb/ft @ 6K RPM

FJR -- 92.5 lb/ft @ 6K RPM

(so much for twin-cylinder torque advantage...) :blink:

Here's some perspective from a guy who just traded his FJR for a 2011 R1200RT. Why you ask? First, the BMW is significantly lighter (compare the wet weights) and has a better suspension. I'd say the RT is the best handling sport-tourer around. I'm always surprised at the number of folks who chime in with the power advantage the FJR holds. There's no denying some extra horsepower from the FJR but the new "camhead" RT produces more than enough HP and a truckload of torque. Smoothness? The obvious winner is Honda's ST1300 and I had one of those, too. The FJR is a typical in-line four with some high frequency vibration; the RT, being a twin, has a lower frequency vibration but I don't find that uncomfortable at all at road speeds. The idle speed shake is certainly there. The RT is far more comfortable right out of the crate. Where there is a line up for FJR bar risers and Russell seats, the Beemer is just right for sport-touring. Even the leg room and knee bend is better. I fully agree that the CANbus system is a royal pain and totally unnecessary on a motorcycle. Some guys fit a power block/fuse panel under the seat and then you can tap any and all accessories into it. Let's see, Yamaha gives you a sleazy 1-year warranty (do they know something? like fried ground connectors?) while BMW has a 3-year warranty with roadside assistance. BMW dealers have bikes to test-ride. Yamaha?

The maintenance issue is there. There is no reason why a reasonably competent BMWowner couldn't do most maintenance at home. Many BMW owners don't do that for whatever reasons, but then I'll bet a good number of FJR riders don't get beyond an oil change either. The BMW final drive failure is, or was, a disgrace and an example of their arrogance, but Yamaha hasn't stepped-up on the ground spider issue either.

pete
+1 on what he said...

I've got a 08 FJR and an 09 R1200RT. Both are fun to ride. However, IMO, the Beemer is easier to ride mostly due to significantly (and very noticeable) less weight and lower CG....Very light handling (comparatively). The FJR is great choice (for me) when some adrenaline rushes are desired. Maintenance is not a problem (again, for me) on either.

For the immediate future, I plan on keeping both.
I had a 2000 BMW RT1100, which I traded in for my first 03 FJR. It surged, didn't shift all that well, and the seat was a torture rack. I really liked BMW saddlebags better, and it

was much more comfortable to me (I'm a freak of nature, 6'5" with a long torso. Loved my 03 FJR, then bought my current 2006. Somehow, I'm not as comfortable on it, even after Heli triple clamp and risers- the angle of the bars bother my wrist. I must be getting old!

I'm considering buying an RT1200 in the near future- my old RT just fit me so much better. If I add a Russell, I'll be good to go.

JMHO

Here's some perspective from a guy who just traded his FJR for a 2011 R1200RT. Why you ask? First, the BMW is significantly lighter (compare the wet weights) and has a better suspension. I'd say the RT is the best handling sport-tourer around. I'm always surprised at the number of folks who chime in with the power advantage the FJR holds. There's no denying some extra horsepower from the FJR but the new "camhead" RT produces more than enough HP and a truckload of torque.

BMW -- 88 lb/ft @ 6K RPM

Yeah, but at about 100 lbs lighter the acceleration times are almost identical. I have lusted for a beemer since I got my first gas station job sometime around 1968. Never bought one. Every winter I dream about an RT and every summer I get back on my FJR. I ride with a couple of people with '04 beemers and have ridden both of them. Nice bike and in my advancing years, easier to move around.

I like the RT. If I had the cash I'd probably get one. Better? Probably not. Just different. And my FJR has been trouble free and a kick in the ass to ride.

BMW -- 88 lb/ft @ 6K RPM

Yeah, but at about 100 lbs lighter
Figures I got:

BMW -- 504 lbs.

FJR -- 581 lbs.

the acceleration times are almost identical.
Really...? :unsure:

(you'd think the BMW's 110 hp v/s the FJR's 145 hp would play into that...? :unsure: )

'course they're all just numbers... ;)

I like the RT.
Well..., we all ride what we like, anyway... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved my 03 FJR, then bought my current 2006. Somehow, I'm not as comfortable on it, even after Heli triple clamp and risers- the angle of the bars bother my wrist. I must be getting old!
You know that you can change the angle of the bars? If you pull the locating pin underneath the bar mount then you can change the angle of the bars.

Borrow a rattier-looking old bike. Come in wearing riding gear that looks old or cheap. Even better, come in with an old car and wearing clean but "could be used to work on the yard" clothes. Go into a local Beemer dealer you've not visited before and see if the sales dweebs ignore you and read the paper for 15 or 20 minutes because they've decided you're not worth the time, or are too busy selling a scooter to some metrosexual boy college with his mom's credit rating. Then rate the attitude and decide if you want to deal with the "Apple Genius Bar"-type BS every time you want work done or to look at a new accessory. The repeat at a Yamaha dealer.

The results of this little experiment should make the ultimate buying decision much easier as well as maintain your satisfaction over time.

This is the reason I never even sat on a K series before dropping a down payment on the showroom FJR fifteen minutes after being snubbed at the BMW dealer. I figure guys who sell quads to groundskeepers might have to have their noses a little more level when it comes to customers, and that sort of non-eliteness appeals to me for both the buying and the service experience-and even with the reliability of the FJR, over the years and miles you'll still have more service experiences with the bike than buying experiences.

2008 FJR. Me - 6"3" - 212 lb

Wife - 5'4" - 128 lb

Factory top box with pad. We don't do long distance 2-up touring, but with an AirHawk pad on the passenger seat, my wife has no complaints about comfort. We both do ATGATT, and her jacket has a sufficient internal back pad, so if I had to do it over again, I would pass on the back pad. It was very expensive, but now I find it unneccesary. It's not a problem, and doesn't push her forward too much, but I just don't think it's required, in my instance. If your passenger doesn't wear a padded jacket, he/she may want the pad there.

One of my friends just bought a used 2003 K1200GT (and I have another friend with a 2009 or 2010 RT1200). I haven't ridden the RT, but I got to ride the GT for a few miles. I know, it's a 2003, so this is mostly invalid, but here goes anyway.

The K1200GT. Nice bike, very nice even. Tips into corners easily, hides its' mass once you're going over about 20 mph, and has good top-end pull. It's smoother than the FJR, engine-wise. I don't find the FJR's vibes intrusive or bothersome. In fact, you have to pay attention to it to really notice it. The GT seems smoother and more refined in most areas. Ground clearance would be an issue in corners, since I touched a peg without even trying. Seat/bar/peg relationship was comfortable. Electronic cruise control, heated seat and heated grips. In conclusion; If you had to be somewhere 1,800 miles away by tomorrow night, this is your bike. Jump on, hit the slab, set the cruise for triple-digit speeds, and enjoy the scenery.

My friend (who ended up buying the GT) and I swapped bikes partway through his test ride. After a few miles, we swapped back, and he says, "I wish I wouldn't have done that". He thought the FJR FELT like a sportbike (which, it kind of does, compared to a GT), and that it felt more like a motorcycle. He thought the FJR had more low-and-midrange torque (felt that way to me, too), but that the BMW had a better top-end hit. To me, the FJR felt just a little bit rougher around the edges than the BMW, but maybe that was also what made it a little more fun to ride. I'm not saying the FJR is unrefined or crude, just that it doesn't feel like a Swiss watch like the GT did.

He bought the bike because he will be taking several long-distance tours with his wife aboard, and liked the bike overall. For what his riding plans are, he made a good choice. He also said that if his trips were shorter, and he did less two-up touring, he'd buy an FJR in a heartbeat.

My other friend's RT1200.....haven't ridden it, but have been on a couple of rides with him along. Beautiful bike, great options, and very expensive. I have absolutely nothing against BMW bikes or cars. But coming out of any corner, the FJR will pull the BMW, no matter what the HP and torque numbers say. His bike isn't slow, but he's not catching any FJRs.

Feel free to rip me apart. I'm not wealthy, but I don't mind spending good dollars toward quality stuff. The FJR is it for me.

The boys have pretty much said it all. You have confused the K bike and R bike. I have owned R & K BMW's and now I have an FJR and do not plan to grace my stable with another BMW soon. Cost of maintenance and convenience of self service is by far better with the FJR. Given your height, I would suggest you take the Concours 14 for a test ride. That is a very good bike and I would have considered it if I was not 5'9".

The boys have pretty much said it all. You have confused the K bike and R bike. I have owned R & K BMW's and now I have an FJR and do not plan to grace my stable with another BMW soon. Cost of maintenance and convenience of self service is by far better with the FJR.
AMEN I could not agree more. The K 1200 LT was a fantastic bike but very vulnerable to seal and final drive issues. I had 34,000 trouble free miles on my 07 before I totaled it in ND. However it was a PITA to work on and maintain. Removing the gas tank to replace a air filter is insane. A oil filter in a sump oil system is no fun to change. And you have not lived until you remove the Tupperware on a LT.

After the accident I could have had just about any bike in the BMW lineup I wanted, I did not want. I wanted simple, powerful, LIGHTER, and every farkel I thought I needed with the money I received. I got that and more for less than any BMW I wanted. Extended warranty, Service contract, and all the farkels I wrote up here First Farkel

Not a knock on BMW as they are great machines if you get a solid one. They are second to none on craftsmanship but the price of admission, and the maintenance is pretty intense and not easy. Mine never saw the shop after the 600 mile and as I said it was flawless, but the cost of the Kool Aid is very expensive and refills are a bitch.

Borrow a rattier-looking old bike. Come in wearing riding gear that looks old or cheap. Even better, come in with an old car and wearing clean but "could be used to work on the yard" clothes. Go into a local Beemer dealer you've not visited before and see if the sales dweebs ignore you and read the paper for 15 or 20 minutes because they've decided you're not worth the time, or are too busy selling a scooter to some metrosexual boy college with his mom's credit rating. Then rate the attitude and decide if you want to deal with the "Apple Genius Bar"-type BS every time you want work done or to look at a new accessory. The repeat at a Yamaha dealer.

The results of this little experiment should make the ultimate buying decision much easier as well as maintain your satisfaction over time.

This is the reason I never even sat on a K series before dropping a down payment on the showroom FJR fifteen minutes after being snubbed at the BMW dealer. I figure guys who sell quads to groundskeepers might have to have their noses a little more level when it comes to customers, and that sort of non-eliteness appeals to me for both the buying and the service experience-and even with the reliability of the FJR, over the years and miles you'll still have more service experiences with the bike than buying experiences.
Bingo-did that in aug of 06, being retired and very causual I wandered into a beemer dealer with inheritance $$ in the bank and shortly thereafter I purchased an 06 GL1800.

OK, that explains it. I walked into my nearby BMW shop wearing my Brooks Brothers 3-piece suit. I had parked the 5-series right in front. Checked the time on my Rolex Oyster several times for effect. The salesman couldn't have been more helpful.

pete :rolleyes:

That's a comparison of the dealership's management rather than the product they're selling. I am the proud owner of an FJR as well as a BMW. The BMW dealership wins hands down for customer service. I showed up at the place on a Ninja, wearing ratty looking gear. The sales staff talked to ME rather than assuming it was my husband that wanted to buy the bike. Almost every other bike shop I've been to has had sales staff that assume females are passengers and males are riders.

Either way, you're going to get a great bike. The decision revolves around which one of the choices is the best for YOU.

FJR or BMW... FJR, hands down. I just did my first long haul yesterday, 700 miles. The bike performed flawlessly. Comfort and performance all rolled up in to one. As far as two up riding, I'm 6' and about 225, my wife is about 5'10", neither of us are small... I've got a Givi 46L top box with a back rest. My wife said the space is tighter than our last ride, a Gold Wing... She did enjoy the time spent in the saddle and wants to go again.

The reasons that I did not buy a beemer; price, maintenance, dealer locations, and I love the FJR.

Buying a motorcycle is an emotional event. Get the bike that makes you happy, if you go out, look at your bike and you are not satisfied, you'll never be happy. If you don't like the ride or other features on a certain bike, don't buy it. WOW, was I talking about buying a bike or choosing your partner...

Cheers,

JJMadco

Buying a motorcycle is an emotional event. Get the bike that makes you happy, if you go out, look at your bike and you are not satisfied, you'll never be happy. If you don't like the ride or other features on a certain bike, don't buy it. WOW, was I talking about buying a bike or choosing your partner...
Applies to both, if you're smart! :)

I agree, tho'. When I first started riding, I saw an FJR in the showroom, loved the way it looked, but (smartly) decided that was too much bike to start with. I instead bought a cruiser "because American guys need to ride cruisers." Two cruisers later, but memories of the FJR in my head, I saw a used 07 with low miles in the dealer one day, and immediately went to the one I fell in love with. And 12,000 miles over 14 months later, I have never regretted it. Instead, I've enjoyed it.

We all can talk about how much we can do with and enjoy our FJRs (or Beemers for those who went the other way). Last weekend, I did Total Control with mine, and it performed like a champ, even next to the Ducatis and other sporty bikes. But, I suspect I was happy with that because I enjoy the bike; if instead, my love was a Ducati, I'd probably being raving about how they did.

So, take a few days (which you obviously have) to go back and look at, sit on, and if possible, ride both. Look at the specs. Look at what each can and cannot do. Consider which can affordably have any problems (you know, suspension, windscreen, etc.) that might be present easily fixed. But then, sit back and ask yourself two questions; which one will bring the biggest smile to you face when you walk into your garage and see it there? And, which one would you most regret ever having to walk away from if you sold or traded it? As riding has such a huge emotional/zen component, I would submit the answer to your choice lies in those last two questions.

Then, enjoy.