I Need A Good Route Across North Washington

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XLR8

Friday Driver
Reaction score
Hey guys I know there are lots of Washington riders here and I'm looking for a good ride across North Washington for a leg of my ride.

Basically what I've come up with is to depart from Enumclaw and quickly slab up to Hwy 20 then ride over and check out Coulee Dam? I've never been there nor have the guys I'll be riding with. Is it worth it or would it be better to head over to Kettle Falls? And I'm also looking at a very twisty road in those parts that goes from Nespelem over to Inchelium. Are those paved and are they candidates? Those roads are Cache Creek Rd & Bridge Creek Rd. They look too good to be true; Probably dirt eh?

The idea for getting across WA is to end up somewhere that we can depart from and do a good final day ride home to Boise, ID. I wasn't looking to go too far East because we've done the bits around Sandpoint, Riggins, Hwy, 95 Etc quite a few times so I was thinking about cutting down through WA to Baker City, OR. This would be new territory for the Boise crew; Well at least the crew I'll be riding with. :)

Any good stuff come to mind? Thanks for any info or advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
After going across 20 go north to tonasket, then east on 20 again through republic to colville. If you really want to see grand coulee, and it's kinda cool, from republic go south on the sanpoil river to kellers ferry and back track 30 or so miles. Then you can take hwy 2 into spokane. 20 and or hwy 2 are probably the best rides cross state . Good luck, jr

After going across 20 go north to tonasket, then east on 20 again through republic to colville. If you really want to see grand coulee, and it's kinda cool, from republic go south on the sanpoil river to kellers ferry and back track 30 or so miles. Then you can take hwy 2 into spokane. 20 and or hwy 2 are probably the best rides cross state . Good luck, jr
Thanks for the info!

Can you recommend any nice smaller towns to stay the night at out there somewhere by Coulee City or Kettle Falls...? I know that's quite a radius. That's OK.

By nice I'm thinking, good food & beer, good atmosphere and a clean place to stay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coulee City has a camp ground and a small motel at the south end of Banks Lake. If you stay there Big Wallies is the place to eat.

Grand Coulee has a few more choices on accomodations, but if I had the money to stay somewhere I would drive 5 miles south through Electric City and stay at the Sun Banks Resort (www.sunbanksresort.com). Growing up just south of there I think the ride south on SR17 to Soap Lake will meet your needs. Then you can travel SR28 to Odessa and Davenport where you can catch SR2 to Spokane. Fairly windy single land roads. Watch out for slow moving Combines and Harrowbeds.

Wingshot

And I'm also looking at a very twisty road in those parts that goes from Nespelem over to Inchelium. Are those paved and are they candidates? Those roads are Cache Creek Rd & Bridge Creek Rd. They look too good to be true; Probably dirt eh?
Any good stuff come to mind? Thanks for any info or advice.
Both of those roads are paved and quite twisty. They are in the reservation so they are not the best paved roads, but quite fun. I've ridden them a couple of times. There is a free ferry that will take you across the lake to Gifford, and there is a campground on the Gifford side very close to the ferry landing.

Sorry for the late posting, but I just found this thread.