I need counseling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Illinois is kind of a long way to ride.....just to get laid......is she hawt?

Hey Dyna,

I've had (2) Harley Electra Glide Classics and an Ultra. Just recently went to the FJR because My wife told me that she won't be riding anytime soon because we still have a five year old and she feels that if something happened to us on the bike he would be orphanned. So....just a thought. Since I come from a Harley background I'll tell you what I did to make my heavy tour bikes more exciting to ride. Make the trunk quick detachable. Harley makes all the hardware. With the trunk off the center of gravity changes and the bike becomes much more fun to ride. Solo seat for when the wife doesn't go and then in a matter of minutes you can reattach the trunk and the two up seat and whala the queen seat is back. I put many miles on my Harley's but have decided to get into the 21st century... technology wise.

Good Luck with your decision

Ride Safe

Glideman

A test ride is tough when I can't even find an FJR in Tampa at a dealer. And the Honda dealer doesn't seem to want anyone riding their STs. The BMW dealer said I could ride any used bike they have, but not a new one. They have a new R1200RT on the floor, but no used one, so that is out.

So, while I agree wholeheartedly that a test ride is the best way to know, it seems pretty unlikely at this point.

Thanks again for the helpful posts. I don't know what to say about pimping your sisters out though. Is it a Yamaha thing?

Dan

Hi Dan,

I would check out the regional section of this here awesome board, and find some local FJR types, we are pretty well represented all over, especially considering our bikes are on the rare side. I've lent mine out several times to prospective buyers that I've known, Getting a test drive on any bike through a dealer is also kinda rare, especially a motorcycle dealer :rolleyes: !!! And of course you do know you owe us all now right?...so chjew gots a seeester ???? Good luck !!

Blessings,

Bobby

I don't know what to say about pimping your sisters out though. Is it a Yamaha thing?
Dan
yeah, what do you have to offer? Just kidding.

Seriously though, you are talking about the best all around performing motorcyles in the world. You get long distance comfort and performance in one package. The owner of each type will give you various valid and invalid reasons for why they bought theirs.

My reasons for going with the FJR after actually getting to test ride the BMW's, the Honda, the FJR and the Triumph ST:

1) The FJR just did everything very well, where the others weren't as good in some areas. While the FJR might not be the best in everything, it was either the best, or 2nd best in EVERYTHING.

2) It just felt right and the ergonomics were great. Every control was smooth and predictable. The bike was just so easy and comfortable the first time I was on it.

3) Faster, smoother, easier turn in, easier at slow speeds and best 2up. The Triumph was better in the twisties, but not a good candidate for a comfortable 2up ride.

4) Sherri sat on the ST, the RT and the FJR. She liked the FJR the best.

I would add the maintanability part where the FJR requires the least maintenance of all three bikes. That wasn't an issue for me, but I'm glad I have got that now because I ride now more than I used to.

I would add that the FJR was significantly cheaper than the RT which would be my second choice. Price wasn't an issue. I just wanted the best bike for my needs (which seem to be pretty close to yours).

I would add that there are more Yamaha dealers and therefore options when it comes to servicing your bike. That was not an issue at the time of purchase, but I'm glad I have more options now (although I found a place I'm sticking with).

It took me about 1 minute on the FJR to realize that it was what I wanted. It's ride was much, much better for me.

40,000 miles later, I do not regret my decision. I made the right one and I still love my FJR...in fact more now than ever.

I also own an FZ6 (my wife's) and a DRZ400SM and have some time in the saddle on a HD Road Glide and various other bikes. The more I ride other bikes, the more I believe the FJR is the best all around bike in the world. I used to be a BMW snob thinking they were simply the best bikes built. At one time, this may have been true. It isn't anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dyna Dan:

I too had an FXDX-T (2001). Jade Sunglo. Thing I didn't like about it was the pronounced 'rear' bias (i. e., there goes the sporty factor) when riding two-up. From there, I migrated to a Triumph Speedmaster which was a much better balanced rider for two......but it had not enough beans when my wife rode with me.

So......I suddenly came to my senses and got the FJR. Problem solved, at least for us. We don't take super-long rides (150 miles in a day with a few stops thrown in) so Ultra-Glide or GW comfort is not our number 1 priority. And when I ride by myself......well, there's simply no comparison to anything in Harley's stable, including the V-Rod....or possibly the new Buell 1125. It's pretty clear that right out of the box this is one very capable machine that doesn't require a whole lot of trickeration to realize its potential.

Don

Your wife won't be happy on the FJR with the stock seat (either will you) for long distances. I spent $1000 on a heated Russell seat and now we are happy.

None of the bikes you mentioned will spoil her like the Electra Glide, but the one that will come the closest is the RT. It seems to fit the bill given your other criteria as well. They are pretty rare, have decent performance and are fun to ride.

Illinois is kind of a long way to ride.....just to get laid......is she hawt?
What, she has to be hawt?!?! I had you pegged all wrong odot. I thought female and breathing was enough for you. :rofl:

Oh yeah, and DynaSport, comfort on the FJR is a relative thing. I rode several 500 mile days in a row with stock seat and stock bars (and stock position). I did have a throttle lock, BMW sport grips, and highway pegs. If I could get the bars back a little it'd be perfect for me on a SS1K but I'm shorter than you are (5' 8") so you might have better reach to the bars. My wife has taken a few short trips on the back of the FJR and she was not all that comfortable because I don't have a backrest.

My unbiased opinion is that the FJR is _NOT_ the best at anything - touring, 2 up comfort, power, brakes, handling - but it IS the best overall package for all of those things. If money was no object I would have gotten a K1200GT but I can't see spending 5-6 grand more for a bike that's - IMHO - only slightly better. And besides, I like the way the FJR looks MUCH better than the K1200GT.

Now the real question - do you think that even with a luxuro-tourer your wife would really ride much? It's been my experience that some women LIKE to ride 2 up and will do it on just about any bike. Those that don't particularly like it won't be persuaded to by comfort. Maybe your wife is different but mine doesn't like to ride with me...which is why I got her a V Star 1100 so she could learn and ride with me. Of course she WANTED to ride herself, I didn't talk her into it.

So, in conclusion, I'd say get the FJR because it's much more fun than any DynaGlide and even though it doesn't have the power or handling of a true sport bike or even a "street fighter"/naked sport bike (FZ1, 919, etc.) and it can't eat miles like an ElectraGlide or GoldWing the FJR can lean way over, it can accelerate hard and brake hard, and it can take you 1,000 miles in a day.

Dan you mentioned the word "comfort" several times in your post, so it's probably safe to assume that riding comfort rates high on your list of "must haves". As you mentioned, all bikes are a compromise. So what it comes down to is, what's most important to you, and what elements are you willing to compromise on? If it's comfort and you ride long distances; consider keeping what you have, or buying a Wing. If you're ready to step up your fun factor a notch or so, and feel you can put up with a bit less comfort and some bells and whistles, consider a sport-tourer.

So what would the FJR get ya over your V-twin? (I hate heavy V-twins, but I'll try and keep my opinions out of this.) In stock form, the FJR won't provide you with massive riding comfort, but it's not bad. With a few after-market products you can improve the comfortable level considerably. Your maximum ride distance may be less. The FJR will have more power on tap than you're used to, probably much more. The FJR just keeps pulling and pulling strong, up to around 155 or so. You'll experience better handling too, much better than the big V-twins or Wings. You can really push the ol' speed-o and still maintain a high degree of confidence in the corners; even riding two up.

I used to sell bikes for a living and have driven most everything. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that if someone enjoys several aspects of riding (comfort, speed, handling, etc), and enjoys the finer aspects of each, one bike isn't going to cut it. Most of the time I reach for the keys to my FJR, but on occasion I get a real need for speed and fire up my Hayabusa. It's a total blast (F-16'ish), but its a major slip on the comfort scale. I can only ride it short distances at any one time (100-150mi), then I need to get off and stretch my legs. My next bike will probably be a KTM 450EXC because I also enjoy trail riding too. I've also driven a few Wing's; new and old. I felt uncomfortable on everyone of them.. They're great highway machines, but all I see a 2-wheel Honda Civic coupled with a minimum fun factor. Even at 55 years old, I can't bring myself to consider owning a Wing. Maybe at 65.... naaaa 85. :D

My suggestion is, if you think you might be interested in a FJR or some other ST, borrow one for a weekend and put several miles on it. By the end of the weekend, you'll know what to do. Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies. I have gained some helpful perspectives. I took my Dyna in for some service this morning and took the opportiunity to ride a Buell Ulysses. Much different from an FJR I know, but both bike interest me. Boy was it different from what I am used to. Much taller, feet felt almost behind me, more leaned over even though it is supposed to be an upright riding position. Much more responsive. Fun, but very different. I am still trying to process how I feel about all this. I think the bottme line, as suggested by some, is that I need more than one bike. Too bad my treasurer doesn't see it that way.

Dan

Thanks for all the replies. I have gained some helpful perspectives. I took my Dyna in for some service this morning and took the opportiunity to ride a Buell Ulysses. Much different from an FJR I know, but both bike interest me. Boy was it different from what I am used to. Much taller, feet felt almost behind me, more leaned over even though it is supposed to be an upright riding position. Much more responsive. Fun, but very different. I am still trying to process how I feel about all this. I think the bottme line, as suggested by some, is that I need more than one bike. Too bad my treasurer doesn't see it that way.
Dan
Also, you said:

Thanks for the info so far everyone. Sorry about leaving out important facts. Right now my wife probably rides with me only about 10% of the time. I am hoping that could increase and I have been trying to figure out what would make her want to ride more. From our discussions the best I can figure out is the biggest problem is our schedule. She is very busy and very involved with her career right now. No bike will fix that problem. I do know that comfort is an issue with how far she is willing to ride when she does go with me. Right now, on my FXDX she really doesn't want to do more than about 2 hours. I think on an Electra Glide or a Wing, she would be more willing to ride long distances. What I don't know is how the comfort of a bike like the FJR compares to the comfort of my FXDX. I have the Mustang Touring seat with a wide backrest on my bike. One complaint she has for longer rides is the angle of her knee. She has a knee problem and the bend of her knee makes it become painful and stiff after a while. The Electra Glide had more room and she could stretch her knee out better which made it more comfortable for her.
Maybe my anectode will help.

About a year after my wife and I were married, she bought me a 1986 Yamaha Radian 600 to get back into riding. I put 5500 miles on it in a year. Kristy didn't like the Radian, as it was too small and busy for her.

A year later, I looked at both a CBR1100XX and a Suzuki Intruder 1500. Kristy liked the big Intruder's seat, so I put passenger floorboards on it, a backrest, bags, big ol' windshield so she'd be comfortable.

3 years and 12,000 miles later, I traded my Zook for a 2002 BMW R1150RT because Kristy had been on the Intruder about 200 total miles.

3,000 miles and a month (!) later, I traded by RT for a 2005 Harley Ultra Classic because I couldn't stand the riding position on the RT. I have *since* come to learn it was the piece of sh!t Corbin seat that wrecked the bike for me. Ah well, stupid is as stupid does.

Test rode the Ultra, Kristy says, "ooh, I love this back seat, the stereo, and it feels really secure."

SO....here we are 2 years later, 10,000 miles on the Ultra - Kristy's done 500 of those. 300 miles were in one day, and she wasn't happy about it. SO now I'm looking again for a sport tourer, like I should have done in 2002. Ah well.

My point? A 'better bike' may not help your wife ride more. If she rides 10% of the time, a bike change probably won't make a difference for her. Kristy just doesn't enjoy riding like I do. I've had the gamut, and she's just not interested except for a short (10 mile) jaunt to the ice cream shop on hot summer nights. For me, that's a boring trip. Anyway.

What I'm saying is, get the bike you want - the bike you love. I have the detachable tour pak for my Ultra, and while it does really change the handling characteristics to the better, it still wobbles in 80mph sweepers. It drags hard parts pretty early (like the frame (!!) if your rear pressure's not high enough). I routinely chase sportbikes around here, and while it's highly entertaining for me, it also really shows the HD's limitations. Yeah, yeah, I know - it wasn't meant for that.

I love long-distance rides - instead of lots of weekend short rides, I take longer trips. In July I went to Colorado and did 1800 miles in the Rockies. This fall I may sneak up to Great Falls, MT to see an old friend. Next summer I want to ride in Canada.

That's why I'm hunting for all the sport touring info I can get - the best balance of sport and tour. I need the comfort to get there, but then the sport to enjoy the roads I've come to see.

Hope this helps. I like my Harley a lot, but like you, I can only own one bike. So I'm finally going to go with my gut and buy the bike I really want, damn the consequences. If she only rides 10%, then it's likely she'll be able to put up with whatever you ride for that amount. (Unless you ride like 300,000 miles a year, then we're in a whole 'nother realm!)

Best of luck ....

Dav

Oh, by the way - I rode the Ulysses during Rally, and I've ridden an FJR. The Ulysses is like a 1945 Jeep Willys compared to a Corvette. Both are fun in their own way, but the Ulysses is crude and mechanical, while the FJR has a much more smooth approach to everything it does. Also, the Uly is HOT AS HELL in the summer. If the FJRs are that hot, then damn - they've got my Ultra beat. And that girl will cook your NU&& in the summertime heat in traffic.

:)

I own a 2006 HD Ultra Classic and a 2007 FJR 1300, so I may be just the guy to give you a completely objective opinion!?!

I like the HD for open road touring -- upright seating position, cruise control, nice radio/CD player, good wind/rain protection, lots of storage room. It replaced a 1989 Goldwing after the Wing hit 100,000 miles.

But I like FJR because its much more nimble, responsive and fun to ride. It's the bike to take when the road gets twisty. It does need a better seat (my Mayer is on the way) and some other farkles, all of which you can find out about here.

As for other sport tourers, I went to Daytona two years ago just for the demo rides. I road a Honda ST1300 and the FJR back to back and, for my money, the FJR was the way to go. Early reports on the new Concours are that its a very good bike but suffers from the same heat problems that the early FJRs had. The BMWs are nice, but I can't afford them and my legs are too damn short. Bottom line, for the money (but yours at D&H) you can't beat the FJR.

So, the solution is buy one of each, FJR & HD, provided your bank account is deep enough and your wife understanding enough.

I test rode the Buell Uly this past week. Unfortunately it was a fairly short ride having to follow a salesman on a Fatboy. But the short ride was fun. TOTALLY different from what I'm used to. I'm sure the FJR would be totally different on other ways. I did go to a local Yamaha dealer yesterday, but no FJR in stock.

Anyway, I had my wife at the HD dealer where I test rode the Buell and showed her the bike. Her response was, "There's no way I'm riding that. It's way too high."

I tried to convince her she should at least give it a shot, but she wouldn't even look twice.

I wish I could afford two bikes. I'd get a big touring bike, probably the Electra Glide, just because unlike most here I like them. Then I'd get something more sporting. Not a sport bike, I'm too old to ride one of them any distance, but something more sporting. Right now though, one bike is it for me. So that leaves me trying to find a bike that does everything I want a bike to do pretty well. Realizing it will end up being a compromise of something.

One day...

I've learned that the "spirit" on this board is amazing... people willing to help without flaunting seniority. I am also looking for a bike. I've riden a few, but not enough experience to claim "I have experience." I am probably like most riders in that I want 3 bikes: a sweet-looking cruiser for rolling through town Friday night, a fast rocket for hitting the twisties to burn out the job stress, and a comfy tourer for the weekend romp in the mountains. I'll probably get one some day, but right now my bottom-line is something that can go several hours w/out hurting my back and still provide a high-level of sportiness and responsiveness.

I live in Denver and there are two BMW dealers in the area. There's also several HD dealerships along with plenty of Jap houses. So for me the question of dealership-availability isn't an issue. A big issue is the purchase price and the price for maintenance. The beemer has some cool stuff. But stories of maintenance problems and costs holds me back.

The one thing that gets me is how people say a certain bike is better cuz it's faster by a sec or two. My opinion (though very humble) that unless you are racing then reaching 120mph 2 secs before another bike is pointless. However I don't want to be on a slow cruiser in a pack of other bikes either. I'll be happy if my bike is in the top 20% of fast bikes. But I really don't care how it places within that top 20%.

It's like I tell my friends who think Nascar is a real sport: anyone can drive fast... it's a no-brainer to stomp your feet on the gas pedal. But to turn both left AND right as they do in Indy & Champ car... now that takes skill. Don't get me on the argument that Nascar is a sport. Go watch Champ or a road race in California where 5 classes compete on the same track at the same time with left & right curves, uphill, downhill, etc. That takes skill. I want a bike that can handle the Denver traffic as well as the mountain roads. But I don't want the pegs to scrap, or be stressed when driving slow in a parking lot.

I want a bike that looks cool and yet rides even sweeter than it looks. I want a bike that I can farkle all I want. I want a bike that has display indicating plenty of stuff, digital preferred. I want a bike that can ride two-up with in comfort: wind protection, heated seats, whatever. I want a bike that has solid reliability, plenty of free help on nation-wide forums/clubs, and has plenty of after-market gear.

I have opinions about bikes like everyone else. But it doesn't mean another one should use it as their value system. I think the Buells are ass-ugly. I don't like the vintage look of the HD Sportsters. To me that would be like buying an 2007 Pinto that is made to look like a 1980 Pinto. If I wanted a 1980 Pinto then I'd go buy a 1980 Pinto, not a 2007 model that looks like one. To me the naked crotch-rockets (ex, Suzuki SV650S) just looks "wrong." And some cruisers aren't appealing like the Yamaha Stratoliner: looks like something off the "Alien" movie with that big-ugly headlight and the cheap-looking stripes down the side. The BMW 1200GT? Are you telling me that BMW, who can design a beautiful sports car, doesn't have the resources to produce a better fairing? I've seen port-o-potties with better plastic design. But this is only my opinon and should mean nothing to you.

For me the FJR looks sweet and meets the riding criteria & performance I am looking for. If you have one of the bikes I mentioned above then I don't judge you. If it's what you wanted then congrats. Get what you want. Some people really like a Buell. When I ride up to a stop light on my future FJR next to that Buell then that Buell will make my FJR look very cool. So thank you Buell rider ahead of time. You enjoy your bike and I'll enjoy mine. I'd like to ride a Buell someday to experience the ride. But I don't see myself as owning one for every day riding.

I'm getting my FJR soon. I'm waiting for the 08 to see if there's anything new. Not sure if I want the AE. I've driven enough of bikes to use a clutch w/out thinking... I like the idea of staying in gear at a light, but I also like the idea of controlling a bike via the clutch. I'll send you guys a pic when I purchase.

A few weeks ago I was leaving my home in the mountains going to Denver. The highway (I-70) is downhill for several miles from where I am to Denver. The road crew had been taking up the old pavement to be replaced by new. I was in a curvy part, downhill, when a HD "Colorado Hell's Angel" rider passed me doing about 70. He changed lanes right before a curve from the smooth pavement to a lane where pavement was stripped... where the road is grooved from the machinery. Anyway, after he had changed into the grooved lane he was into a curve within seconds. Since he entered the curve with high speed and not angled, he quickly leaned his HD into the curve. I don't know how he managed to not lose it. Watching that it confirmed I wanted a bike with quicker response & better handlig than a cruiser.

Waiting for my FJR.... "Colorado Hell's Angel" jacket optional.

I want a bike that looks cool and yet rides even sweeter than it looks. I want a bike that I can farkle all I want. I want a bike that has display indicating plenty of stuff, digital preferred. I want a bike that can ride two-up with in comfort: wind protection, heated seats, whatever. I want a bike that has solid reliability, plenty of free help on nation-wide forums/clubs, and has plenty of after-market gear.
Waiting for my FJR.... "Colorado Hell's Angel" jacket optional.
It sounds as though you've done your research, and convinced yourself as we all did, which is the best bike out there.

Jill

PS I tried a Buell once. Now, I have a two Yamahas and Kawasaki.