I took the plunge!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trmn8er

Reaction score
:yahoo: Hey guys (and Gals). I am new to the site, and really want an FJR. I have been riding sport bikes all my life, and at over 40 years of age, I am ready to take it easier on my body and get a Sport Tourer. I am finding I really enjoy the longer rides. I just took my 2004 R1 on a 1400 mile ride up Northern California, all through Gold country, and the ride was incredible. My Brother and I like to do a ride like this at least twice per year, and I have been suffering with the riding position of a total Sport Bike. My neck hurts, by ass gets on fire from the underseat exhaust, and it's hard on my wrists and arms. I have decided the FJR is the best all-around bike for a guy who does not need 180 HP, but still wants a bike to have fun in the turns, and I am thniking the FJR would be WAY more comfortable than an R1. Like night and day different. Having said that, I sold the R1 last night. Done. Gone. So I started to look at used 05 FJR's, thinking an 06 would be over 15K OTD. I have been looking all morning, and found a brand new 06 A model here in California for a GREAT OTD price. I bought it! They have my deposit, approved for financing, and I will be putting 7500 down on the bike, so the payments will be pretty small. My Family and I will be driving 400 miles to pick it up, and I will ride it home. I was willing to get an 05, but the deal I got on the 06 was that good. Yes, it's a little more than I wanted to spend (10K on a used bike, perhaps an 05), but hopefully you all here will agree I will be very happy with a new 06! Thanks for a GREAT web site here, and I will be sure to post pics when I pick her up (probably as early as tommorow).

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with your new 06...Its a grate bike

Ed... :drinks:

Congrats & Welcome!

Where in SoCal are you located?

Plenty of us down here, you're bound to be near one of us!

Congratz on your new ride, your going to love it, I'm 41 with an 06, moved from full on sport bikes last was a GSXR-1000 & will never go back.

Congratz on your new ride, your going to love it, I'm 41 with an 06, moved from full on sport bikes last was a GSXR-1000 & will never go back.
Yea tstaff, I've had a GSX-R, R1, FZ700, Ninja 600, Ninja 900, CBR1000F, GS650E, GS400E, and I am so ready to be comfortable. I mean it's painful to ride the R1. 100MPH wheelies, laser like handling, but so painful to ride. I have way too much common sense to ride like that (anymore) anyway. I do not have the balls or lack of brains for freeway wheelies. Trouble is, the R1 does power wheelies ALL THE TIME above 10,000 RPM without even trying, and to be honest, the bike is a little scary fast up that high. I want torque! I want grunt, and the FJR's 99 ft/lb or whatever it is will be quite a bit more the the R1's 74. I want my ass to not be on fire after riding for 10 minutes. I want to sit upright (or at least more upright) instead of lying on top of the R1 humping it. I want more wind protection. I want hard bags bad. I want to be able to pack a little stuff for a 5 day ride without wearing a backpack big enough to explore the John Muir trail. Ok, have I made a case for the FJR? God I cannot wait. Rant off. B)

Congrats & Welcome!

Where in SoCal are you located?

Plenty of us down here, you're bound to be near one of us!
I am in South Ontario, almost Mira Loma, near 60 and 15. Do you all meet at Chaparell? I would like to meet for a ride.
We ride all over, check here for planned rides

If you can get out for a day ride, this is nearby

If you have not stumbled across WFO yet, it's going to get pretty quiet around here next week. :)

Not sure if it is too late to sign up but several people have dropped out for various reasons.

Might be a hotel room or two opening up.

If you have not stumbled across WFO yet, it's going to get pretty quiet around here next week. :)

Not sure if it is too late to sign up but several people have dropped out for various reasons.

Might be a hotel room or two opening up.

Thanks pawtracks. I will keep checking on the upcoming rides!

Welcome to the forum, you will not regret it. I got my new one just a week ago and I'm loving it.

:clapping: :clapping:

Welcome to the forum, you will not regret it. I got my new one just a week ago and I'm loving it. :clapping: :clapping:

Nice. Another Cherry! I am picking her up tomorrow. She was just done being serviced today, and is waiting me to get there. I will be riding her home close to 400 miles. It will be nice to not need a tank bag just to carry a few things like a phone, knife (NEVER leave home without it), a Surefire Flashlight, water, and perhaps a shirt and light jacket. I cannot imagine how cool it will be to have the hard bags!

Welcome to the forum, you will not regret it. I got my new one just a week ago and I'm loving it.

:clapping: :clapping:

Nice. Another Cherry! I am picking her up tomorrow. She was just done being serviced today, and is waiting me to get there. I will be riding her home close to 400 miles. It will be nice to not need a tank bag just to carry a few things like a phone, knife (NEVER leave home without it), a Surefire Flashlight, water, and perhaps a shirt and light jacket. I cannot imagine how cool it will be to have the hard bags!

Congrads, there are a few riders up in your area, and look at some of the ride posts in california and you'll never hang around the local twistie hang outs anymore, cause you'll be doing all day rides to say....Utah, Oregon, Washington, Oaklahoma, Nevada....lol Oh BTW..GunMD, does wheelies with his front brake locked!

Welcome and enjoy!
Thanks to all. You guys are great.
Aww, Shucks!

Don't be so quick to judege! Give Odot or myself a chance to introduce ourselves :derisive:

There were a few of us that showed up at Chapparral around the same time during the weekend. I thought it was the location of WFO!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be so quick to judege! Give Odot or myself a chance to introduce ourselves :derisive:

That's ok. I don't scare too easy. The only thing scaring me lately is the pain in my ass from riding the R1 on long rides. I hope this new bike has a better seat! :lol: