I want a throttle lock... which one is best?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dropinparts

Reaction score
:unsure: I would like some feedback from you guys about these products. My concern is these units might use up too much of the grip area and leave the butt of your hand hanging off the grip. I wear XL gloves. I currently have a ThrottleMeister on the bike and it's okay, but, I think one of these units would be easier to use and lock the throttle a little better.

I used the VistaCruise and am happy with it and it is thin. It takes a little imagineering I sort of followed this from warchild:

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=23

You see where he cut the grip for clearance I did that to the stock grips but when I put on the heated ST1300 grips I put the sanding drum on the Dremel and cut some of the VistaCruise. I know it sounds like a bit of work but it works really well the lever is easy to flip and it's cheap.

:unsure: I would like some feedback from you guys about these products. My concern is these units might use up too much of the grip area and leave the butt of your hand hanging off the grip. I wear XL gloves. I currently have a ThrottleMeister on the bike and it's okay, but, I think one of these units would be easier to use and lock the throttle a little better.
I haven't installed it yet, so I can't advise on grip width, but I bought the Madco lock. It's made of metal and is very well finished. It doesn't require any mods to the unit or the throttle housing. It's a little pricey at about $100. Madco site

If you are a cheap bastard, I have the Perfect solution for you!

It's a Kuryakyn Universal Throttle Boss. It's designed to be a throttle rocker (but we're not going to use it as intended).

It's basically a thick, wide rubber band. Instead of installing it on the grip, install it on both the bar end and the grip.

It works well enough to relieve fatigue on long trips.

And for only TEN BUCKS !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Throttle Meister on my FJR and its ok. On my M109 I have the BrakeAway set up and its great! I don't know if it will fit a FJR but its worth looking into.

I have the Throttle Meister on my FJR and its ok. On my M109 I have the BrakeAway set up and its great! I don't know if it will fit a FJR but its worth looking into.
There is a Brakeaway model available for the FJR, but it costs $209 as opposed to $20 shipped for a Vista cruise.

When I installed the G2 throttle tube on my07, I also added the Madco throttle lock at the same time. Based on previous experience with Throttle Meister on my ST1100, I decided to go for the Madco. I find it easier to use when both engaging and disengaging the control. I use the stock grips with Grip Puppies. The actual grip area remains unchanged from stock.

The Madco lock does not provide any marginal vibration damping that some folks say they get from the heavy duty Throttle Meister setup, but I also don't have to contend with the lengthened bar ends that tend to get in the way.

There is a Brakeaway model available for the FJR, but it costs $209 as opposed to $20 shipped for a Vista cruise.
The Brakeaway works very well but is (as stated above) not cost friendly. If on the otherhand you got coin to burn and don't wish to fool with a REAL cc, it is a viable alternative. The brake release feature is its strong point but when properly adjusted, it holds speed quite well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which one is cheapest, ar which one is best? Comparison between THESE two; Vista Cruise..cheapest. MADCO...best. I had a MADCO lock on my VTX, and it looked like it belonged there instead of an add on.

2ur8lmg.jpg

Made of aluminum out of a small shop in CA. Very high quality, adjustable friction, easily overridden, and fairly inexpensive compared to other locks that are more expensive and IMHO harder to operate. One of my first farkels on my 08 FJR.

9qih09.jpg

You have to remove the grip. No big deal if you have access to compressed air. Kit comes with a spacer and longer bolt to replace the bar ends, so you don't lose ANY handgrip space. I also put on Motovation bar end weights and had to do a little "modding", but no big deal, and still didn't lose any handgrip room.

If you want to order one, go to this site:MADCO, and order the camlock sport, type "B". You will have to print out an order form, fill it out, and send it to them via snail mail like I did with a money order.(about $100 shipped). Or you can call the toll free number and talk to "Bill" and he might even send you one before you send the payment! You won't go wrong with this throttle lock.

Which one is cheapest, ar which one is best? Comparison between THESE two; Vista Cruise..cheapest. MADCO...best. I had a MADCO lock on my VTX, and it looked like it belonged there instead of an add on.
2ur8lmg.jpg

Made of aluminum out of a small shop in CA. Very high quality, adjustable friction, easily overridden, and fairly inexpensive compared to other locks that are more expensive and IMHO harder to operate. One of my first farkels on my 08 FJR.

9qih09.jpg

You have to remove the grip. No big deal if you have access to compressed air. Kit comes with a spacer and longer bolt to replace the bar ends, so you don't lose ANY handgrip space. I also put on Motovation bar end weights and had to do a little "modding", but no big deal, and still didn't lose any handgrip room.

If you want to order one, go to this site:MADCO, and order the camlock sport, type "B". You will have to print out an order form, fill it out, and send it to them via snail mail like I did with a money order.(about $100 shipped). Or you can call the toll free number and talk to "Bill" and he might even send you one before you send the payment! You won't go wrong with this throttle lock.
Sorry for the Newb question but how to you get the extra space to mount that thing in there? Do you have to shorten the grip after removing it?

Thanks Jeff

The kit comes with a nylon spacer and a longer allen head bolt that you install at the end of the handlebar between the grip and the bar end weight.

Friends, after reading the posts from a lot of the reply's I decided to bite the bullet & go with the Madco unit ( I had tried the VistaCrueise & wasn't happy with

it- couldn't keep a constant speed.I wound up useing a throttle rocker) The Madco unit is made very well & looks great with the switch housing & grips. BUT

I'm still haveing the problem with the bikes speed-doesn't stay at a specific setting.It tends to creep ,even when set on a level road.I've adjusted the slack in

the cables .It will also start to slow down if set at a time when the bike is slightly slowing.I have done the throttle return spring mod- and am thinking that

there isn't enough tention on the cable to prevent some slight loosness. As we all know ,a slight movement of our throttle will move the speedo 5mph without

any trouble. Any thoughts would be helpful.Thanks in advance. Sliick

I don't really use the MADCO throttle lock as a true "cruise control", but rather to give my hand a break once in a while. I think my 08 would stay at a fairly constant speed with the throttle lock engaged on a level road for quite a while, but again, haven't used it for an extended period of time.

When I bought my 2nd hand '03 it came with the Throttlemeister throttle lock. I tried it many times but just didn't feel comfortable using it - how the hell is your hand supposed to move in one direction while maintaining throttle at the same time? I read about a guy that would use his left hand to engage / release the lock while maintaining throttle speed with the right. Now there's an accident waiting to happen! Anyway, I got the BrakeAway which is expensive..but it's safe, it works and it looks good. For me the best feature is how it can be disengaged in an emergency when applying the brakes. And the Throttlemeisters you ask? I swapped the right (mechanical) side for another bar-end weight...

Sorry for the Newb question but how to you get the extra space to mount that thing in there? Do you have to shorten the grip after removing it? Thanks Jeff
Jeff, try loosening the controls & moving them over to allow the room for your new addition. Tighten them back up & presto! At least that's how my lock was put on.