Idea for rear sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Notice how that cable lock strategically obscures the license plate, smooth, very smooth. :derisive:
Hehe you noticed that too.

For tip over protection, maybe some kind of delrin lower scratch plate could be molded and attached to the portion of the bag most likely to touch down if it went over?

The muffler location while maybe protecting the paint on the side cases will likely prevent the bike from being able to do it's most basic function - lean in the corners. The mufflers for example (even the slimmer after market cans) are already close to touching when you corner on nice roads...The FJR already has a lot of hard parts that hand down too low, this TOG would just turn the FJR in to an HD.

Well, first I think you are not realizing that the drawing is a sketch, not to scale, and as noted, not nesseccarily what the TOG would look like. I do know what parts of the bike are likely to touch down, and the placement on the muffler could get very close to the ground, the important word being "close" ... as the more foreward edge of the pipe would touch first , and would have to get nicely ground away before the slider touched. I would not want to add anything that decreasec the rather limited cornering clearance the bike has already.

It may be possible to use something that mounts simular to my drawing, but instead of being the actual TOG , it would just be a clamp with a threaded block, becoming one of two points to mount a slider like the ST one.

I think my concept would work, but obviously needs some tweaking. It just bugs me that the FJR has been on the market for several years and no one has come up with something of this nature. We tell every newbie to put some sliders on his bike ASAP , because we know they do fall over..and we just seem to accept the fact that the sliders only protect the tupperware in front and not the paint on the sidecases.

And it would take alot more than two thin pieces of aluminum to turn a FJR into a HD.... ;)

KM

Search on "FJR police model" (include the quotes) to see police bikes from Europe that have rear crash protection. Most of these FJR's have the flat (Euro City Side Case) lids that are a bit easier to protect.

I can't imagine either idea: exhaust wraparound, or tubular (a la ST1300), would impact cornering clearance.

When dragging pegs, the exhaust is still more than an inch off the pavement, so the exhaust mounted slider should be fine.

If the exhaust bracket were used to mount a more traditional slider assembly, it would protrude above the exhaust, and again, no clearance issue.

Knifemaker is right; too many bags have been damaged. Why isn't something like this on the market?

I used some 1 inch wide heavy black stick on vinyl that cars have along the sides of there doors to protect them from others using your car as a door stop. I wrapped two (2)of them from the bottom near the hinges to the top of cover near the gap between cover and the compartment. You need that much coverage to protect the face of the cover. I dropped the bike on the left side saddle bag, thats how I determined the area to protect. You can get the semi-gloss black at "Pep Boys". I thought the job turned out looking pretty good, almost as if thats how they come. The material comes with the adhesive already applied. I heated the molding before applying it around the corners. got nice and pliable.

I used some 1 inch wide heavy black stick on vinyl that cars have along the sides of there doors to protect them from others using your car as a door stop. I wrapped two (2)of them from the bottom near the hinges to the top of cover near the gap between cover and the compartment. You need that much coverage to protect the face of the cover. I dropped the bike on the left side saddle bag, thats how I determined the area to protect. You can get the semi-gloss black at "Pep Boys". I thought the job turned out looking pretty good, almost as if thats how they come. The material comes with the adhesive already applied. I heated the molding before applying it around the corners. got nice and pliable.
Sounds interesting, could you pls post some pics?

I still say the muffler brackets will not carry the bike's weight. Lay the bike down, muffler or bracket collapses, resulting in rashed sidecase PLUS can damage. Without rear TOG, only rashed sidecase.

But what do I know? I've only low-sided once, rashing only one sidecase. (Didn't hurt my mufller, though.)

I was thinking same thing about TOG on rear to protect the bags. When I get my bike back from the shop (it's not for warranty work either!!) I'm going to seriously consider thinking of something to protect the bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking same thing about TOG on rear to protect the bags. When I get my bike back from the shop (it's not for warranty work either!!) I'm going to seriously consider thinking of something to protect the bags.

Please do, I'm saving to replace TWO side bags!!!! $485 each!!!!!

L.C.

Please do, I'm saving to replace TWO side bags!!!! $485 each!!!!!

L.C.

What is your email address ? My email is [email protected].

I will email you photos of my front and rear crash bar setup.

I can not figure how to insert photos as a reply in this FJR website.

Once upon a time, I saw a pic of an FJR w/ the saddlebag relfectors removed from the rear of the bag and replaced on the front of the bag...where most tip-over damage occurs. I was guessing that was for tip-over protection...like in a garage or parking lot. Probably not much help for a high speed slide down the asphalt river but a simple and interesting comcept, nevertheless.

I saw a pic of a bike that had been dropped and the bag got scuffed up pretty bad. The owner bought some of that spray on bedliner stuff and covered it up with that. It would also protect the bags if the bike was dropped again. He only put it on the lower part of the bag and it didn't took too awfully bad, better than all the scratches I have on mine :(

I may take garauld up on the $75 paint job...

I saw a pic of a bike that had been dropped and the bag got scuffed up pretty bad. The owner bought some of that spray on bedliner stuff and covered it up with that. It would also protect the bags if the bike was dropped again. He only put it on the lower part of the bag and it didn't took too awfully bad, better than all the scratches I have on mine :(
I may take garauld up on the $75 paint job...

Soft stone guard paint is what I used on my bag after my little 35 mph losing battle with gravity. I think it looks like it should have been there to begin with. I will try and post up a pic.

These are pics George emailed me, looks pretty nice and functional IMHO.

IMG_00391.jpg

IMG_00401.jpg

IMG_00421.jpg

George NICE SETUP!!!! Where did you bolt it to? Have you done any serious cornering with those on yet? How can I get a set and how much.

GMC, I'm impressed.

You should share some photos showing at what angle they make contact with the road. I would think a big sheet of cardboard would work.

Or you could ride U.S. Route 129 where it crosses the Tennessee / North Carolina border. :whistle:

George NICE SETUP!!!! Where did you bolt it to? Have you done any serious cornering with those on yet? How can I get a set and how much.

Apologize for not responding sooner -------------- been on the road.

The front bar bolts to the lower front engine mount and the single rear engine mount, with the front cross brace passing thru the lower front cowl connecting and reinforcing both front bars. The rear bar bolts to the rear frame behind the rear stays, not the rear stays themselves which support the muffler and rear foot pegs.

I have since laid the bike down, with scratches appearing only on the crash bars ------------- no scratches on the bags, mufflers, bar ends or fairings. As a side beneift, raising the 650 lb (wet weight) FJR upright after a tip over is considerably easier with the crash bars.

I had the bars fabed to my specs (modelled after European and Australian Police pursuit FJRs), by 905 Racing in Chula Vista, CA for appr $600. Should the bars be scratched, the bars can be completely blasted clean, sanded and recoated (powder coated in any color ------------ mine matches my 07) for $55.