If you were to do it all over again....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy the best, probably more than you figure you can afford at the time. It's paid off for me.
This is the best advice on the thread, IMO. Over the years I've often bought "deals" and saved some money on lots of purchases, and not just m/c gear, and then regretted it later. Assuming you actually have a regular check coming in, money you spend on something you want and need is usually forgotten after a couple of pay periods have gone by, even if you had to gulp hard to make yourself do it. I HATE working with a tool or putting on a piece of gear that I look at and think "I wish I'd spent a little more and bought the ____". I'd just say don't go by the price only. High cost doesn't always equal good value for you. But get the best you can find for your needs, and buy it once.

Um, Ig, does that stud setter work with chrome studs too?

burberry-prorsum-studded-biker-jacket-0.jpg

Anyway, you didn't say whether you had the heated vest wired to the Darien or not, so I was just trying to clarify. Your write-up doesn't say either way.
You do not "wire to" any aerostich jackets. They are all just gore-tex shells, either lined (Roadcrafter) or unlined (Darien) and then you wear a warmth liner underneath which can be heated or unheated. Or you can buy a third party heated liner, like the First Gear Warm n' Safe, and wear that under the Aerostich shell, which is apparently what Ignacio does.

So, I'll be the one now who notices the emperors new clothes and say that I have previously owned a 2-piece 'stich Roadcrafter and I currently own a Darien Light jacket. I was not happy with the roadcrafter because it was just way too heavy for me to deal with in the warmer months (6 or more months out of the year). Now granted, I am a northern boy and I definitely can't handle heat very well. But these things are being made in Duluth Minnesota few cryin' out loud! I'm much more comfortable riding in the sub-freezing cold and snow than in 90 degree (or higher) heat.

I recently bought a Darien light jacket (bought used) and feel that this is a better all-around solution than the Roadcrafter, but unfortunately the thing is so loose and blousy in the arms and shoulders that it flaps around in the wind. I'm also not convinced that the Darien armor would be in the right place at the right time because the loose fit doesn't hold it in place. Maybe if you did a ride -in fitting they would get the arms snugged down enough to constrain the pads.

[edit]

I've found out that the jacket that I have is too large for me. It is a Darien Light in size XL (from before they started using chest sizes) and that is equivalent to a 48. What I need, according to Aerostich's sizing tool is a size 44 in the Darien.

I've also recently read about opening the sleeves and using the large cuffs as a ram-air device for the warm summer months. I tried that with my oversized XL and that did make a huge difference.

For these reasons I've retracted my prior negative comments about the Darien Jacket and will remain cautiously optimistic that these really are the do-it-all riding suit that you can wear year round. I still can't see myself in the heavier Roadcrafter in the summer months, but maybe a properly fitting Darien is the best answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Motoport kevlar mesh top and bottom. Goretex liners for rain. Hit airbag vest over top. Shoei rf1000 with tinted and pinlock visors. Racing gloves for everyday riding, and TCX race boots for nice days, and oxtar matrix for rainy and touring. Waterproof gloves for cooler temps and then a gerbings jacket and gloves with controller for when it gets cooler. Some good outdoor long underwear for cold days, and compression gear for when its really toasty. I I got tired of buying all the cheap stuff and decided to just get stuf that works. Aside from a new helmet and airbag, and a set of gloves every year my gear has been the same for 4 years and suitable for everr condition. About $4000 for everything but its all quality and made to last. Not the same as the $200 jackets which seem to fall apart under heavy use, and then you need 3 of them to be comfortable in different conditions which is about the same cost as one good highend jacket.

Anyway, you didn't say whether you had the heated vest wired to the Darien or not, so I was just trying to clarify. Your write-up doesn't say either way.
You do not "wire to" any aerostich jackets. They are all just gore-tex shells, either lined (Roadcrafter) or unlined (Darien) and then you wear a warmth liner underneath which can be heated or unheated. Or you can buy a third party heated liner, like the First Gear Warm n' Safe, and wear that under the Aerostich shell, which is apparently what Ignacio does.
Fred, thanks for the clarification. I looked at the Aerostich website, and one of the options for the Darien jacket was called "Liner Options" with a couple choices — QuiConnect2, SAE, BMW — so I was sort of confused if the jacket was "wired." I guess I didn't really understand if the jacket was wired so you could directly attach liners and/or gloves if you wanted, or if the heated liner was an additional option that could then be connected to the bike via a powerlet or a heat controller unit. I think I understand that now. Great explanation.

Do the Aerostich heated liners zip/button into the Darien jacket, or are they loose (unattached) like the third-party Warm N Safe? I've been riding for quite a while, but heated gear is something I have never looked into, so my learning curve is steep. Down here in Arkansas, we rarely have more than a few weeks of cold weather each winter, so I usually just persevere, but now that I have time to take longer trips all year round, I can foresee the need for better gear, and even heated gear.

Everyone's patience is greatly appreciated.

Motoport kevlar mesh top and bottom. Goretex liners for rain. Hit airbag vest over top. Shoei rf1000 with tinted and pinlock visors. Racing gloves for everyday riding, and TCX race boots for nice days, and oxtar matrix for rainy and touring. Waterproof gloves for cooler temps and then a gerbings jacket and gloves with controller for when it gets cooler. Some good outdoor long underwear for cold days, and compression gear for when its really toasty. I I got tired of buying all the cheap stuff and decided to just get stuf that works. Aside from a new helmet and airbag, and a set of gloves every year my gear has been the same for 4 years and suitable for everr condition. About $4000 for everything but its all quality and made to last. Not the same as the $200 jackets which seem to fall apart under heavy use, and then you need 3 of them to be comfortable in different conditions which is about the same cost as one good highend jacket.
zed88... that's what I was looking for: honest opinions on what works. I'm in that situation where I have multiple jackets, multiple gloves, multiple helmets each with various visors, plus base layers, no heated gear though. Just looking for what everyone is using and why. Awesome response!!!

Quick question: do you wear the Pinlock visor all the time, or just switch to it when conditions warrant?

You wouldn't BELIEVE how much gear I have bought, in the search for what works best. The conclusion I came to is the Roadcrafter one-piece is best for me. I've worn mine for about 18mths now in temperatures from the low thirties to about 110. In the extremes of temperature, nothing is going to be perfect but the suit came close. It's easy on and off, for the daily commute. The Aerostich video is telling the truth when they boast ten seconds together the suit on or off.

No rain has got through my suit yet, although we rarely see rain in So Cal. I did ride in heavy rain for seven out of ten days during a trip to Colorado.

I have various pairs of gloves for different conditions. My two favorites are Held and Olympia. Helmet by Bell. Boots by Icon.

Do the Aerostich heated liners zip/button into the Darien jacket, or are they loose (unattached) like the third-party Warm N Safe?
There is no attachment between the jacket and liners. They are just selling you something similar to the Warm'nSafe, which is why many folks go that route.

Right now I am not happy with my riding clothes — boots, pants, jacket, gloves, rainsuit. None of it. Oh, it all works, but I keep dreaming of something better. Something simpler and more effective. Maybe I'm overthinking it. But maybe, just maybe, there's a better way....

So the question is: with all the miles and mishaps behind you, if you could start over with completely new gear, and money was no object, what would you buy for all seasons? I'm looking for the minimum clothing setup. One-piece suit? Or pants and jacket with removable liners and waterproof shells? Simple layering for cold temps? Or heated gear? How many pairs of gloves would you buy? Waterproof gear? Or regular gear with a separate rainsuit?

Go ahead, ladies and gentlemen, dream big and tell me what you'd buy, and why? Or tell me what you already own and works for you. I commute nearly every day (unless it's snowing, or there's ice on the road), I do some weekend 400-mile trips, too, and I do some long-distance multi-week touring every year. The temps where I live rarely drop into the single digits, but it's been known to happen, and during the summer I usually hit 90+ in June and I'm 100+ degrees for a lot of July and August. I am not an adventure rider, so I'm not riding off-road; I'm on streets and highways all the time. I am looking for the easiest clothing setup that will handle everything — hot, cold, sun, rain, the whole weather gamut. I guess I'm just looking for the right clothing "philosophy" and then I'll adjust my current gear accordingly.
https://www.aerostich.com/suits/one-piece-suits/roadcrafter-light-one-piece-suit.html

If I was to start all over again I would buy this Aerostich roadcrafter light. It is 100% waterproof and has alot of new features that the older Roadcrafter doesn't have. It is lighter than a regular roadcrafter so it should be better in the hot summer riding and you would just need some good heated gear for the colder months. I have joe rocket meteor water proof boots(which I love) but you can't buy them anymore. I currently have a regular roadcrafter one peice suit and love it. I won't ever use any other riding gear again. It can be a little hot in the summer which is why I would love to try the roadcrafter light. I like alot of the tourmaster gloves and have a couple pairs for different temps along with the heated gloves to go with my heated jacket. The tourmaster gloves are a pretty good bang for the buck. Good luck with your research.

When I was riding in Iceland and all the Germans tourists that were riding their GS's almost all had Rukka gear. Usually the BMW crowd are pretty brand loyal so the fact that almost every BMW rider I saw was using Rukka gear it does make one think. I have a Rukka Air jacket and pants combo that I like very much. The jacket breaths very well and the liners for both the jacket and pants use the good Gortex and does a great job of keeping me dry. I do use a Viking rain jacket in the heavier rains since I find the jacket can get cold when soaked in the cooler temperatures. I'll warn you right now that this stuff is expensive but the fit is good and doesn't flop around in the wind and the built in protection is top notch.

I just purchased a new Shoei Neotech helmet. I've never had a modular helmet before and I've had Arai helmets before since I didn't like the fit of previous Shoei helmets I tried. I found the Neotech does not fit like previous Shoei's and I was able to get a good fit and I'm loving the features of the new Neotech. The new ventilation system on the helmet works as advertised and the integrated sun visor means I can leave my sun glasses packed away while I'm on the bike. I'm liking it.

I've been wearing primarily Dainese gear lately. I have a pair of cortech over pants for work, but weekend and just riding gear I wear two piece from D.

I've also got a Motoport Kevlar Air Mesh two-piece suit. I like that it was custom made to me and my dimensions. Above that magical 93F mark, I can put on a long sleeve underneath, and in cold weather, a combination of long underwear, layering and Warm 'N Safe liners have kept me warm (a barn door of a windshield doesn't hurt either).

I "only" have about 25-30k? miles on mine, and have washed it a couple times, still looks great...well, maybe not when it's due for a washing ;) . Bonus feature: when washing, simply zip up everything, close the velcro (hint: empty the pockets, DAMHIK), and throw it in a front loading washing machine. Hang to dry. Done. No need to remove the armor.

Quick question: do you wear the Pinlock visor all the time, or just switch to it when conditions warrant?
My Pinlock has been off for a few months. It'll go back in in the fall, and in fact, I'll put it in for my trip to the Alps IN ONE WEEK! (Sorry, getting a little keyed up about that.) :)

Where I live, it just doesn't rain in the summer, and even over the mountain passes around here it's not cold enough to be needed, so why put the extra use on the Pinlock? If I'd gone to SWFOG or NAFO this year, I'd have put it in though. If your neck of the woods has a lot of summer rain, yes, I'd leave it in. The faceshield does fog up in a good rain, right?

But I would not go back and forth from day to day, depending on that day's forecast. It's not really a hassle to put it in or out, but it doesn't hurt to just leave it there.

My Pinlock has been off for a few months. It'll go back in in the fall, and in fact, I'll put it in for my trip to the Alps IN ONE WEEK! (Sorry, getting a little keyed up about that.) :)

Where I live, it just doesn't rain in the summer, and even over the mountain passes around here it's not cold enough to be needed, so why put the extra use on the Pinlock? If I'd gone to SWFOG or NAFO this year, I'd have put it in though. If your neck of the woods has a lot of summer rain, yes, I'd leave it in. The faceshield does fog up in a good rain, right?

But I would not go back and forth from day to day, depending on that day's forecast. It's not really a hassle to put it in or out, but it doesn't hurt to just leave it there.
Mike, thanks for the response! I have heard good things about the Pinlock, but was uncertain whether it was worth the cost. Now I believe it probably is worth the coin.

https://www.aerostich.com/suits/one-piece-suits/roadcrafter-light-one-piece-suit.html

If I was to start all over again I would buy this Aerostich roadcrafter light. It is 100% waterproof and has alot of new features that the older Roadcrafter doesn't have. It is lighter than a regular roadcrafter so it should be better in the hot summer riding and you would just need some good heated gear for the colder months. I have joe rocket meteor water proof boots(which I love) but you can't buy them anymore. I currently have a regular roadcrafter one peice suit and love it. I won't ever use any other riding gear again. It can be a little hot in the summer which is why I would love to try the roadcrafter light. I like alot of the tourmaster gloves and have a couple pairs for different temps along with the heated gloves to go with my heated jacket. The tourmaster gloves are a pretty good bang for the buck. Good luck with your research.

I too was fascinated and interested in the Roadcrafter Light but have hear several reports of it not being so comfortable since it is not lined. The Cordura rubbing against skin isn't so good I guess. So it is not on my list anymore. Hope to own a Roadcrafter someday......

When I was riding in Iceland and all the Germans tourists that were riding their GS's almost all had Rukka gear. Usually the BMW crowd are pretty brand loyal so the fact that almost every BMW rider I saw was using Rukka gear it does make one think. I have a Rukka Air jacket and pants combo that I like very much. The jacket breaths very well and the liners for both the jacket and pants use the good Gortex and does a great job of keeping me dry. I do use a Viking rain jacket in the heavier rains since I find the jacket can get cold when soaked in the cooler temperatures. I'll warn you right now that this stuff is expensive but the fit is good and doesn't flop around in the wind and the built in protection is top notch.

I just purchased a new Shoei Neotech helmet. I've never had a modular helmet before and I've had Arai helmets before since I didn't like the fit of previous Shoei helmets I tried. I found the Neotech does not fit like previous Shoei's and I was able to get a good fit and I'm loving the features of the new Neotech. The new ventilation system on the helmet works as advertised and the integrated sun visor means I can leave my sun glasses packed away while I'm on the bike. I'm liking it.
You apparently have too much money to burn. I've only seen one person in Rukka gear and it was NIIIICE. It is also STUUUUPID expensive. Will make the $1,000 you spend on an Aerostitch look like chump change. Also no place to go try it on. Same with the Neotec. Nice helmet, but $$$$$.

I have heard good things about the Pinlock, but was uncertain whether it was worth the cost. Now I believe it probably is worth the coin.
It's absolutely worth the cost, which is fairly minimal, especially for what it does. It's the ONLY anti-fog "thing" that works at ALL, as far as I'm concerned, and that's pretty much the universal opinion around the forum. You have to replace your face shield every so often, right? Just buy a new one for your helmet with the Pinlock attachments pins already in place. Put the inner shield on it and switch the whole shield with the Pinlock for the plain shield if you decide to take it off for any length of time.

You can certainly use the Pinlock shield without the Pinlock inner shield, too.

zed88... that's what I was looking for: honest opinions on what works. I'm in that situation where I have multiple jackets, multiple gloves, multiple helmets each with various visors, plus base layers, no heated gear though. Just looking for what everyone is using and why. Awesome response!!!

I only wear the pinlock visor when I want a clear visor (at night, on really cloudy days, or in heavy rain). I got really tired of my visor fogging when the temps dipped into the 40's and I wanted to keep the shield down so I finally broke down and purchased the pinlock. I leave the inner shield on all the time and while its not the coolest looking thing, once your driving you don't even notice it from inside your helmet. I don't even carry a normal clear visor with me anymore.

A few other points: My father lives about a mile over the state line in MO and has a very similar setup to mine. You have much more temperate weather down there. Your hard part is heat during the summer months. The kevlar mesh is excellent for that, while also offering good protection (hard to find in mesh gear). The aerostich offerings are just too warm for that kind of weather. Now if you lived in WA or CT then it would be great year round gear. I've been wearing my mesh for the last 4-5 years and 100k miles and aside from a little fading on the neon materials it looks like the day I bought it. The heated gear works very well under the mesh and liners for 20-50f temps (i get cold easily). It also allows you to cut down on layers dramatically and endure wide tempature swings without stopping (ie leaving TN mountains in the morning at 28f, riding around the bottom at 60f, and then to the skyway again at 45f). Once you try it you'll be amazed and wish you had bought it sooner. All you really need is a gerbings jacket, and a temp controller ($260). Plus all your extras fit easily in one sidecase.

The only thing I've never been able to consolidate well is gloves. Race gloves for 50-110f, rain gloves for 35-50f, and gerbings gloves for any extended riding in 10-35f.

Not knowing all the other gear you have, my first suggestion would be investigate heated gear if you ride below 50f with any regularity.

Here's what I use and why:

Aerostich Darien Jacket (hi-viz with permafilth)

Darien pants (gray)

The most waterproof and versatile outfit going. The Darien gear handles everything from very cold temperatures to very hot temperatures with equal aplomb. If you buy a size that allows layering under the shell jacket and pants, it will also allow airflow under the outer layer. I always start with LDComfort underwear as my base layer and add lightweight to midweight fleece and/or heated clothing to adapt to the cold. If it's hot, soak down the LDComfort shirt, close the vents on the Darien and allow the airflow through the shell to gradually evaporate the water - it keeps you cool for 60-90 minutes. For heated clothing, I use Warm 'n Safe.

LDComfort underwear - if you ride a bike for more than just a commute, you should be wearing this stuff as your base layer. It makes all of your other gear a lot more comfortable and functional.

RevIt gloves. I don't know what model my RevIt gloves are - I don't think they make that exact model anymore, but they have been excellent gloves. I've also worn Aerositch Elk Ropers (made by Geier glove) and similar elkskin and deerskin gloves purchased at the western wear store. It's good to be able to try before you buy - makes it kind of hard to buy gloves from Aerostich. Held gloves are beautiful, ditto Helimot. When you put a pair of gloves on that fit - really fit - you'll know it. Go ahead and buy them, because gloves that are just perfect for your hands are worth their weight in gold and are difficult to find.

Schuberth C3 helmet. I just got this new lid, but so far, I'm impressed. Very quiet - much better than I thought it was when I did a demo ride one time.

Boots - Sidi Tour Gore-tex waterproof and Sidi On-Road. I mostly wear the lighter, lower "Tour" boots, but they are both excellent.

Other stuff. I've had lots of different gear through the years, what is mentioned above is the stuff that has worked best.

I have an Aerostich Roadcrafter two-piece suit also and I like it a lot and have a great many miles on it, just find myself wearing the Darien more these days. I have several pairs of BMW pants - a pair of Summer 2 pants and a pair of City 2 pants. Both very good, although not as versatile as the Darien pants. The City 2 are particularly nice for day rides - they have great pockets and fit very nicely. The Summer 2 pants are a light khaki color and are a lightweight, unlined pant that is nice in very hot weather.

If I had it to do all over again? We're all 'doing it all over again' all the time. I'm always re-evaluating the gear that I'm using and trying to find something warmer, cooler, dryer, more comfortable, more protective. I'm an Aerostich fan; they take pride in their product and in improving it (albeit at a seemingly glacial pace), it is very simple, functional and stout. It's expensive, but quality stuff always is. It will outlast cheaper gear several times over. The bottom line is that when the weather really sucks, you will never wish you had bought cheaper, less capable gear.

Tourmaster , I'd buy the same again, but my gear of 5 years is doing just fine:

Helmet: HJC Sy-Max III

Back O Line support belt

Roadgear Coconut Socks

COLD WEATHER WEAR:

echo jacket (note the built in hood stored in collar)

caliper pants with additional firstgear CE armor added to hips

tourmaster winter elite gloves (discontinued gen 1)

SIDI Way Mega Rain Boots

ALL ABOVE ABSOULTELY WATERPROOF IN SOUTHERN MONSOONS AT 80mph

WARM TO HOT WEATHER WEAR:

sonora 3/4 jacket

venture air pants with additional firstgear CE armor added to hips

first gear mesh tex gloves (discontinued gen 1)

SIDI Traffic Air Boots

all purchased from MotorcycleGear.com (formally NewEnough)

Do the Aerostich heated liners zip/button into the Darien jacket, or are they loose (unattached) like the third-party Warm N Safe?
There is no attachment between the jacket and liners. They are just selling you something similar to the Warm'nSafe, which is why many folks go that route.
Not sure if they've changed anything over the years, but I bought the Darien jacket with their Kanetsu (sp?) heated liner back in 07 and the liner zips into the jacket. But whether it zips in or not isn't really an issue for me. It's often cold in the wee hours when I ride to work and then warmer in the afternoon on the way home, so I end up taking the liner out anyway.

I did pick up a Roadcrafter after finding a deal on my size on ebay and that has become my "go to" suit for commuting. It doesn't have any provisions for zipping a liner in, but my Kanetsu liner rides comfortably inside. I love the quick on/off over my work clothes. It's waterproof if I remember to make sure the front flap isn't folded in such a way that it collects water when sitting on the bike (I understand the new suits come with waterproof zippers). And very importantly, it fits better than the Darien setup which should ensure the pads will be in the proper position if needed. I'd buy another one.

Aerostich Roadcrafter 1-pce (going on 15 yrs old, and still going strong :) ) , quite frankly the best single piece of motorcycle gear I've ever owned. Broke a zipper pull recently, so may need to get that looked after.

Also an Aerostich Kanetsu electric vest.

I have a Fieldsheer evaporative cooling vest that I've used in the high summer going across the desert and it works well, although I'm told there are much better vests available. It would no doubt work better if I had mesh gear rather than wearing it under the Roadcrafter, but it does help keep me comfortable.

Also really like the Aerostich elkskin ropers, working on my third pair now. Really good quality and comfortable, and they fit right. Have had other gloves from FirstGear and Tourmaster before trying the elkskin ropers, and once they were broken in I found them to be the best for the kind of riding I do. If I was rich, I'd like to try a pair of Held gloves.

Helmets: I love my RF1000, and looked at an RF1100 as a replacement, but they've changed the shape and it no longer fits my noggin. :angry2: I also have a Nolan N102 modular that I need to replace after taking a hit from a piece of barn roof going across Montana on Friday... it did it's job well! Not sure I'll get an N104 to replace it as there aren't many Canadian sources for them. Shoei Qwest seems to have same fit as the old RF1000, so maybe that's an option.

Boots: I prefer non-Goretex leather boots, properly treated, as I find they breathe better and are plenty waterproof if you look after them. YMMV. My last two pairs were made by a Canadian company called Altimate out of Toronto, and they've served me well, but unfortunately they no longer offer a straight-on leather boot, so my next pair will probably be the Aerostich Combat touring or CT -lite, which are made by Sidi, or something by Oxtar.

I don't have nearly the number of miles as others who have commented, but I do ride 9+ months a year up here in Canuckistan. I did find the Roadcrafter was pretty hot on a tour through the SE US (f***ing humidity!!!) last year, but have worn it in 100+ degrees in Arizona, Utah, Nevada, California and it works fine as long as I'm moving.

That's it.

Griff