If you were to do it all over again....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am with Wheaton and Airboss for I wear the Areostitch transit suit and the Olympia air-glide jacket and pants. Transit suit is great, biggest drawback, this suit is fricken heavy. Transit offers great protection, absolutly waterproof, and very comfortable in temps between 40 and 85 degrees. Drawbacks are weight and price. The Olympia suit looks great, is very, very comfortable so you will wear it even in the hottest weather, and crash protection is well above average and well documented by many owners. Two very good companies with proven track records for all around performance and durability. Helmut is a Shoei 1100, many gloves but my favorite ones are the Kevlar racing gloves by Motoport/Cycleport. Goretex touring boots by Alpinestars have lasted me over 5 years, and if I ever wear these out I will probably by another pair.

Over the years, I've bought many jackets, pants, helmets, boots, gloves that I got a 'good deal' on, but invariably was sorry later on. Some were just cheap pieces of crap that had bad zippers, didn't fit well, or fell apart quickly. The last couple of years I fell for Rev'it stuff. Started with a Sand jacket & pants, love'em for 3 seasons. Where I live it's hotter than the Hubs O'Hell all summer, so a mesh outfit is a must. Just got a Rev'it Turbine jacket & Airwave pants. Pretty serious protection (I hope) and great construction. I use a Firstgear Rainman rainsuit when the need arises, Held gloves, and Dainese Fulcrum boots, currently a Nolan N-104 helmet. I spent a lot on this stuff, but it's not the most expensive by far. I spent a lot more on the cheaper stuff over the years, and was always disappointed. I do, however, look pretty much like a Power Ranger. Drives the Pirates nuts. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the years, I've bought many jackets, pants, helmets, boots, gloves that I got a 'good deal' on, but invariably was sorry later on.

I spent a lot more on the cheaper stuff over the years, and was always disappointed. I do, however, look pretty much like a Power Ranger. Drives the Pirates nuts. :p
Too true, Geno, on so many levels. I bought motoport's kevlar mesh gear 6 years ago, and while it was pricey to purchase, I'm still very pleased with its quality, versatility, and convenience across all seasons in the areas I travel. This gear has been a good value, and its protection also prompted me to buy it for my pillion.